Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Millzie
post Jun 3 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

I was looking at some Scanned covers that have been uploaded here and was surprised at the poor quality. I thought if we were going to have a scanned section, these would be checked and we would only accept good quality. I think you need to be able to read the small writing and no blurriness in the scan.

After looking at the scans I thought I would download the scanning tutorial. But guess what, It's unavailiable to me cause I haven't posted enough.

This is what was presented to me.

Sorry, you must have a total of 1 posts per day or above to download this file.

I think this defeats the purpose of trying to have good scans uploaded. I know the rules are availiable for the scans, but some people who are uploading scans do not know how to scan properly.

I'm no expert at scanning, but in my own scans I can read the small writing and it's clear.

Sorry if this sounds like complaining. I just thought if it was availiable it would only be an improvement

IPB
oNE LEGGED DUCKS SWIM IN CIRCLES
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

corky
post Jun 3 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #2

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Am not sure what time the post count is reset each day, but looking at the time you made your post 1.42am, that must of been after the reset time, now that you have made a post the scanning tutorial will now be available to you, I realise the post count might be annoying for some, but it's a measure that the staff felt neceesary to impliment.

If you want to improve your scanning, why not join in the WIP section, there are people there, that are willing to help you achieve the best results, this in the end would help prevent poorly scanned covers, slipping through.

+Quote Post

Millzie
post Jun 3 2006, 02:36 AM
Post #3

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(corky @ Jun 3 2006, 01:18 AM) [snapback]5440[/snapback]
Am not sure what time the post count is reset each day, but looking at the time you made your post 1.42am, that must of been after the reset time, now that you have made a post the scanning tutorial will now be available to you, I realise the post count might be annoying for some, but it's a measure that the staff felt neceesary to impliment.

If you want to improve your scanning, why not join in the WIP section, there are people there, that are willing to help you achieve the best results, this in the end would help prevent poorly scanned covers, slipping through.

Sorry, I must have misread the message. I was thinking you needed one post for every day of membership.

My appologies

The other point was, why are the poor quality scans coming through, or is that standard good enough ?

IPB

+Quote Post

corky
post Jun 3 2006, 02:40 AM
Post #4

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

No apologies needed, have you been able to get the tutorial Millzie

+Quote Post

Millzie
post Jun 3 2006, 07:39 AM
Post #5

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(corky @ Jun 3 2006, 02:40 AM) [snapback]5451[/snapback]
No apologies needed, have you been able to get the tutorial Millzie

Yes thanks, I was able to d/l the tutorial

IPB

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Jun 3 2006, 08:14 AM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

the blur you talk about is 'gausian blur' which is used to counter-act the effects of moire,personally i try to mask off areas of small print to keep the small writing clear..but its not always posible.(depending on whats is the background)
another option is to clone the area and replace the writing,which sort of defeats the object of scanning,and although its sometimes necessary its something i try to avoid dong.a good example is the front cover of 'wild things'(i'll uplload it shortly)which has small acreditation across the front(yes filmboy another one)the problem is,thta if you become too anal,and want the print replaceing all the time,then you might as well be making a custom,because it will take less time.

hopr this helps,and has answered tyour question.
MHD

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 3 2006, 10:05 AM
Post #7

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

My Favorite Cover Designer:
To many to choose from

IMO you will never get a scan to look as good as an original after reading this earlier i went and check out the scanned covers the resolution is very high and if you use the right paper they should print out good with the exception of black which never prints out dark enough on scans photos included
MHD did what i thought was a great job on his scanned covers but one must ask this question why would you want them anyway i could rattle off 10 resident artist & artist who produce much better designs than any of the scanned covers uploaded.
I hope no one is offended by what i have said but the design of the scans look like S**t
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 3 2006, 10:17 AM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(Millzie @ Jun 3 2006, 01:42 AM) [snapback]5439[/snapback]
I was looking at some Scanned covers that have been uploaded here and was surprised at the poor quality. I thought if we were going to have a scanned section, these would be checked and we would only accept good quality. I think you need to be able to read the small writing and no blurriness in the scan.

On all the scans I have approved, I CAN read all the small writing. That is an acid test for me. Any that I can't are rejected. As are things like THIS.

And if I see any that have slipped through, they will be removed. As with customs, it is early days for the site, and people are still settling in. We have been slightly easier on folks than perhaps we will be in the future. No one has been banned yet for persistently uploading rubbish, in the same way that no-one yet has been shamed for zero voting covers.

I am quite sure, however, that these things WILL happen in time! :blink: (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Jun 3 2006, 11:07 AM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

never mind the scan,they should be banned for owning the film....jeeeeeeeeeez i hope theron was paid a lot.i lasted about half way through before turning it off.lol

IPB

+Quote Post

Millzie
post Jun 3 2006, 01:37 PM
Post #10

New to the scene
Group Icon

[quote name='filmboy' date='Jun 3 2006, 10:17 AM' post='5486']
On all the scans I have approved, I CAN read all the small writing. That is an acid test for me. Any that I can't are rejected. As are things like THIS.

Hi, have a look at we were soldiers scan and see if you can read the print on the back down the bottom with actors names etc,.

I can't read them

Then again. i'm getting old and my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 3 2006, 02:37 PM
Post #11

Guests

This is a close-up of the legal text on the cover in question. OK - not up to "custom" standard - but it's a scan!

If you don't like it, don't look at it!

I can read this perfectly well - and do we EVER read this stuff?

Let's not split hairs here! :blink: (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

(IMG:http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/4894/scantext0bh.jpg)

+Quote Post

Millzie
post Jun 3 2006, 02:43 PM
Post #12

New to the scene
Group Icon

sorry, i was talking about this partAttached File  unclear.jpg ( 25.48K ) Number of downloads: 25
Attached File  unclear.jpg ( 25.48K ) Number of downloads: 25
Attached File  unclear.jpg ( 25.48K ) Number of downloads: 25

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 3 2006, 03:04 PM
Post #13

Guests

Which part of "splitting hairs" did you not understand? (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

It's a SCAN!! :huh:

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 3 2006, 03:42 PM
Post #14

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

My Favorite Cover Designer:
To many to choose from

HA HA HA talk about hair splitting who reads them anyway (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/tongue2.gif)
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Cloaker
post Jun 3 2006, 04:15 PM
Post #15

New to the scene
Group Icon

Just wanted to touch on the scan, custom subject a little. Why would anyone would anyone want a scan when you can have a custom cover. The days of scans are pretty much over. The need for them anyway. If someone needs a cover or label, I would think all they would have to do is put in a request and they would have a few tossed their way in a matter of days. If that long. Or am I Wrong? I like making and submitting labels just to see my work on the site. It's just a hobby, but it's kinda fun. I'm no Krafty or Filmboy though. Yet.

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 3 2006, 04:34 PM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE(Cloaker @ Jun 3 2006, 05:15 PM) [snapback]5595[/snapback]
Just wanted to touch on the scan, custom subject a little. Why would anyone would anyone want a scan when you can have a custom cover. The days of scans are pretty much over. The need for them anyway. If someone needs a cover or label, I would think all they would have to do is put in a request and they would have a few tossed their way in a matter of days. If that long. Or am I Wrong? I like making and submitting labels just to see my work on the site. It's just a hobby, but it's kinda fun. I'm no Krafty or Filmboy though. Yet.

I agree with you 100%, cloaker. Personally, I am not that keen on covers that look "retail". Give me a custom without all that rubbish on anytime.

But it would be unfair of Bazzah, *krafty* and I to run this site just for ourselves.

There are alot of folks out there who actually want retail looking covers - and yes, believe it or not - they want scans!!

I want this site to be THE first call for everybody that wants to look at interesting and original DVD cover art, to use as replacements for their originals. And I want this site to be THE cover community where folks can meet like-minded individuals - and chat about covers and labels in a friendly fashion.

If that means hosting good quality scanned material,as well as the best custom art, then that is what we will do.

End of story. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Jun 3 2006, 05:32 PM
Post #17

Valued Member
Group Icon

Another point of view on scans
Many here feel there is no need for scans and though I must agree a good custom will always be desired over a scan there are other considerations to be taken into account. First we should probably make two general statements that I think most could agree on:
1). Not all studio covers are bad, some are actually pretty decent.
2). Not all customs are great, most times it for lack of material but sometimes its just a poor design and execution.

Moving on, the main downside to scans is, the uploader has to be able to apply the scanning guidelines correctly to the cover they are submitting. This can involve more work and attention to detail than many have ever done before. Resurrecting a cover that has some wear and tear on it to a high quality printable output could be considered an artform in of itself. So if you are considering scanning, only patience, practice and attention to detail will produce the results that will be required by Hires.

Why do we need scans? Scans will provide depth to the library database and add to the overall cover count. By this I mean, scans are neccessary because there is not always quality artwork and images to create a custom for every film. With a membership as large as Hires there are multiple generations represented here and many are looking for covers for older films in which case the only cover available will be a high quality scan. How many times have you read, "A good scan is better than no cover at all".

Final point, a high quality scan is not a bad thing, it will add another choice for the member on newer films where customs are available and be the solution for older and less popular films where before scans where allowed there was nothing.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Jun 3 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #18

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

tkboxer
well said i couldn't agree more.
fair enough,while some scans i up will be fairly recent,a majority are like me..old.i have tried and failed to find good quality images for a lot of 'older' films.the further back you go the harder it gets,especially pre 90's..making a scan the only option.

IPB

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Jun 3 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #19

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(MrHenryDog @ Jun 3 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]5623[/snapback]
tkboxer
well said i couldn't agree more.
fair enough,while some scans i up will be fairly recent,a majority are like me..old.i have tried and failed to find good quality images for a lot of 'older' films.the further back you go the harder it gets,especially pre 90's..making a scan the only option.

No question aboout it, finding the artwork is the necessary first step to a custom and sometimes its just not out there. No matter what the caliber of the artist he or she cannot create without the raw materials.
I would like to give positive acknowledgement to the new management of Hires for making that decision to accept scans, I know it means a lot more work for them but in the long run they must think as I do....
that it is best for the site.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

donobieus
post Jun 4 2006, 06:49 AM
Post #20

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I have to admit for the most part I come to this and other sites for the customs to replace my retails. BUT.... I have been buying DVDs at the local flea market lately and maybe 1 out 10 has a cover. This necessated (spelling?) me looking for scans if there are no customs for certain films. Case in point: I just got Skin Deep, the old John Ritter flick (f***ing Hysterical, by the way) at the flea market with no cover. I made a request at 3 different sites for a cover and after a week someone emailed a snapper scan. Now my skills arent good enough to up it here or anywhere else but I cleaned it up enough for my use. I think quality scans have a place here as much as customs, in fact, I almost think the work is more tedious for a scan then a custom. Either way, I think it helps out.

Peace

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 5th December 2016 - 12:30 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS