Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 25 2007, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Guests

Before I start, this is not a dig at anyone in particular. I include myself in this little rant.

Where's all the creativity gone?

I've recently judged two rounds of the competition here on hires, had a good look around the site forums and gallery. And had a good browse around the scene in general. I have to say that there's a definite trend emerging of cover designers of all skill levels and tenure becoming over reliant on poster/photo pasting (and in my eye's adding a soft filter and tweaking the colours amount to pretty much the same thing) on the front cover and simply using (or tweaking) a retail template for the back.

To make matters worse we're all applauding it, and so more people are copying the same tired styles. Admittedly finding good artwork for use on a cover is a skill in itself, but hardly worthy of the praise one should receive for making a custom from scratch, or composing a decently blended montage or heaven forbid actually creating new artwork from your imagination.

I know the reason I got into cover making was because of all the ugly UK retail covers I had in my collection and as a vent for my creative urges. But somewhere along the way I've gotten lazier and more susceptible to the suggestions of my piers to conform to a more traditionally formatted approach.

Where are all the true artists and designers now? The most creative ones on the scene seem to have stopped making covers or changed their style to the one I mention above. I find it really sad when I look at all the great pioneers of the custom cover making scene now churning out template based Poster/pic pastes (although admittedly they are technically flawless) and slapping each other on the back, I'd love to see them experimenting like they used to. As for the new talent with the exception of a few they're all following convention.

So do us all a favour, next time you decide to make a cover....pause....take a deep breath......ignore common convention.......and let your imagination run wild......see what you could produce.

If you have the imagination but not the skills, ask for help there's a lot of talented, helpful people on here who can help you stretch your abilities. If you've seen something on a cover but can't work out how to recreate ask the artist or post for help in the Skoolyard and I'll do my best to work it out for you.

But above all for the sake of taking this hobby forward....do something different!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Oct 25 2007, 05:43 PM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Bunny Dojo's Blade Runner

Skally,

I agree about Skally's conformist aspect on cover-making... I started out making the covers the way I wanted them, but quickly changed to start including all of the legals, specs, etc. that you would find on retail covers. I even put a barcode on some of them (which for a custom is COMPLETELY unnecessary). But you know, some people really want them that way. And some of my favorite customs I have made (Dead Birds, Demon Knight, Death Proof) were made from scratch (or almost scratch). It's a labor of love that usually produces those ideas and fondness for a work. While I have been guilty of cutting and pasting together weak covers, and becoming quite conventional in my covers, it's mainly because that's what is praised and encouraged on the board.

Basically, I can't come down on those who want their properly formatted and conventional covers, because that's what they want. But like you, Skally, I'd LOVE to see people think outside the norm and not always have to have all the little boxes checked when making a cover. And those who want to go nuts, let's praise them as well as those who know how to color coordinate their cover fonts and spec boxes. That's my two cents anyway. I have been working on some WIPs that are original and maybe a little odd. I was hesitant before, but I am going to go ahead and post those now. Thanks Skally!

-Gutta

+Quote Post

Ruso gkn
post Oct 25 2007, 06:52 PM
Post #3

The Old Brazilian Guy
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Madagascar By Gurizão

My Favorite Cover Designer:
SXS

Yep... Skally.... I love the artistic style, but I think this is not much place on the scene today, because all give much value to a retail cover (I understand, I also like that style), but as the Skally said, it is wonderful to cover fully the zero and without using poster art ... I just go as low tide and exploring my creativity because of lack of time and everything else ... But I love the style.
This is why I love some of my babies that were my first jobs.

(IMG:http://img409.imageshack.us/img409/1181/capadvd23nq1.jpg)

(IMG:http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/1074/capadvdaeonflux3djj3.jpg)

(IMG:http://i11.tinypic.com/5x94606.jpg)

IPB
Ruso Gkn Artwork®

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 25 2007, 07:13 PM
Post #4

Guests

Now that's what I'm talking about Ruso, nice work, they were the covers that got you my vote as a cover designer.

Gutta, go for it m8, I know exactly what you mean and I also believe there's space for both (indeed all) styles of cover, it would just be nice to see those with the ability and time trying something different.

+Quote Post

BearStyle
post Oct 25 2007, 08:26 PM
Post #5

Resident Bear
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

Surely, I gotta agree that the artisitc-feel of custom covers sorta dissapered somewhere. Not that I've been artistic on any of my covers, but looking on older customs by other artists...
But for the worth of nothing, I'm gonna say that it's takes shitload of time to get every little font correct to make a cover with that clean retail style that y'all talking about. BUT, it's still not the same as puting some real love and soul into a cover by doing your own proper artwork.
And for the sake of my own, I gotta say that I've been desperately trying to make something other than schmetail-stuff. Or at least try to merge the two styles into some sort of clash.
My most recent attempt was Gone in 60 Seconds where I brushed the whole front, from scratch using wacom-tablet.
But if you wanna take the whole artsy-thing all the way.. I shouldn't have put all the legal mumbo-jumbo and barcode on'it. But I like em' that way.
Makes it all look a bit more professional, which I personally like.

Anyway, kudos for speaking your mind Skally. And, to all coverdesigners - go nuts..
Challenge yourself to try and find your true limits in whatever application(s) you're using!
Let's get some creativity flowing up in' hea'h! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

+Quote Post

AliasMaya
post Oct 25 2007, 08:34 PM
Post #6

Valued Member
Group Icon

I totally agree skally even if i'm a bit lazy too sometimes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

The only problem with me is that i can sometimes take up to two weeks do a cover ( brainstorming, draw some sketches, and draw some more sketchen and then finaly begin with the cover). So i can get tired of my self (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue2.gif) .
But there are moments that the time is against me and otherstuff get in the way.

But i'll also say what skally, ruso and gutterballs said - don't give up with your creativity it's the most valueable thing you've got!

This is all for me this evening, stay tuned (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

golemeye
post Oct 25 2007, 09:56 PM
Post #7

The next Bond
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Hell yes, ditto, I concur, what they said, and more..

This topic might contain a good theme for a future competition!

+Quote Post

BearStyle
post Oct 25 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #8

Resident Bear
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

QUOTE(golemeye @ Oct 25 2007, 11:56 PM) *
This topic might contain a good theme for a future competition!

The theme for the competition is: GO NUTS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)
Yes, that'd be great.

+Quote Post

Ruso gkn
post Oct 25 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #9

The Old Brazilian Guy
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Madagascar By Gurizão

SXS

Yep B3ar I need urgently to wacom tablet-... Now I am getting sick of both clicking with the mouse.
And I wait me with a 100% cover art in 3rd round (IMG:style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif)

IPB
Ruso Gkn Artwork®

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 25 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #10

Guests

Nice idea for a future competition...now that something I'd like to participate in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 27 2007, 03:35 AM
Post #11

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

Not sure if i can enter the possible new competition, i don't believe i can do covers without legal stuff.
But... hey! I can at least try.

I understand your point Skally, this is sometimes what i talk with Lulu, but to be honest with you, i like to do retail covers. It's something different to me and ordinary to others. But i'll try to go nuts for the next time and probably for the next competition.

Rules for the next cover competition:
- no legal text;
- no barcode;
- no quotes and tags;
- no poster-art.

Damn, now i don't have nothing to work to do a new cover (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 29 2007, 03:14 PM
Post #12

Guests

Missing the point Ark, A custom can have all that, it's the creativity that's lacking.

How about this instead:-

No poster/picture pastes
Anything else you like goes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 29 2007, 03:48 PM
Post #13

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

I was only playing with you buddy, you know i'll always add at least a barcode on a cover (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 29 2007, 04:51 PM
Post #14

Guests

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

Just noticed your signature have you opened up an design agency?

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 29 2007, 08:45 PM
Post #15

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Not yet buddy, it's something i plan to do, but for now all my work (DVD/HD DVD/Blu-Ray covers and other things i do for real life) will have this tag. It's somehow a way to get notice here in Portugal, there are here a lot of designers (i'm sure the best ones don't know us or this hobby) but i wanna make the difference (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Oct 29 2007, 09:51 PM
Post #16

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

Thats not what I hear arky m8...................I hear you are one of the top graphic guys in Portugal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 29 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #17

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Who told you that Ky? I'm still a pre-graphic design student who left architecture to become a graphic/web/multimedia designer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

Perhaps someday i can be at the top, but for now i really don't think i'm as good as someone told you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

Ruso gkn
post Oct 30 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #18

The Old Brazilian Guy
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Madagascar By Gurizão

SXS

lol... at least in coverart, Do your country, you are the best known name in the scene my buddy (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) ... Besides of you remind you of another well known name: Lifeguard.

Different from me that there will be always "Gsalb and Stalker" beating me the head. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

IPB
Ruso Gkn Artwork®

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Oct 30 2007, 09:30 AM
Post #19

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

although I agree with the majority of this thread, I can't help to feel that creativity still lies in the eyes of the designer, and that moving to far away from some type of poster art or movies pic seems to deviate some what from the principal goal of creating a custom cover. Personally I always try to stay away from just poster art, but sometimes, that just seems the way to go. nough said...good thread Skally m8.

+Quote Post

bobby_uk
post Oct 30 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #20

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(chefjoe @ Oct 30 2007, 09:30 AM) *
although I agree with the majority of this thread, I can't help to feel that creativity still lies in the eyes of the designer,

Exactly right !!!!!!
Unless you've got some artistic/creativity talent in you already you wont ever be able to create a fully customised cover without the use of posters and pics. I'd love to be able to do a " proper " cover but I aint got no artistic qualities at all and wouldn't know where to start. It's like playing golf, you've got to have a bit of a knack to it right away or you're a scuttler no matter how much you play. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 02:14 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS