Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 11 2007, 09:33 AM
Post #1

Guests

Another WIP, any suggestions for improvement?

Attached Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 11 2007, 11:41 AM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Cover Designer:
ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chin.gif) ... this could be probably your most-like retail cover, which is not a bad thing at all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

However there are some parts of the cover that i think you could work.
I always liked the artwork you used for the front and the front is very well balanced, but you could try to reduce the tagline font size and space every letter like you have on CE line. Off course you don't need to change nothing, but you don't lose anything except a few minutes to try the suggestion (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

About the back.
Not sure how the barcode looks at full size, but from the preview it looks strange. I know you don't preocupate yourself with barcodes and legal text as much as i, but if you are now showing us a possible retail look, i think you should use one like this.

I also think you could blend better the two back images. From the preview is visible the color difference between the water (the 1st one is grey and the 2nd is blue) and it's more visible on the left side. Those bottom images are placed in a strange area, i really think you don't need to use them.

Thanks for letting me post a comment on this nearly done great cover (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 11 2007, 12:19 PM
Post #3

Guests

Hi Ark, thanks for the comments and suggestions, unfortunately as you know I'm not a fan of 'retail'-esque covers in the least, to be honest I can't really think of a more pointless endeavor than to waste my time creating a custom cover to replace a tacky retail cover with one that looks just as bad. Will play with the tag, lose the barcode and rethink the caps, but I kind of like them there gives the overall back design a quirky non-retail look (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 11 2007, 01:16 PM
Post #4

Guests

Update:-

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 11 2007, 01:23 PM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) glad you understand my comment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)
How about this: change the order between the credits and the caps, placing the credits above the logos and the caps above the credits? It may work or not, but like i said before, you'll only loose a few minutes trying (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

Another thing. If you really will loose the barcode, how about this: reduce the back image size, place it more to the left, clone the sky and the water near to the small vessel/boat and then place the synopsis more to the right. This way the synopsis will not be above the the left boat.

EDIT: you antecipated part of my comment (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

Now the front looks perfect to me, the tagline is much better now (imo)!

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

drastija
post Oct 11 2007, 06:44 PM
Post #6

Little Devil
Group Icon

Awesome, This is a great job

IPB
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
there you long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci

+Quote Post

BearStyle
post Oct 11 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #7

Resident Bear
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

What dras said, looks awsome.
Love the custom with a slight touch of retail-feel. Works very well and looks very professional.
Love the special-features box. Awsome.

+Quote Post

Ruso gkn
post Oct 12 2007, 03:13 AM
Post #8

The Old Brazilian Guy
Group Icon

Group: Members

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Madagascar By Gurizão

SXS

It's beautiful... I love this one, is the best for this film... great job m8 skally.

IPB
Ruso Gkn Artwork®

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Oct 12 2007, 07:48 AM
Post #9

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

Indeed. Stunning looking work. What about though, as Ark said, moving the synopsis so it doesn't cover the ship? You could split the image in two, and move the ships apart, cloning the water back in. Would be perfect then (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 12 2007, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Guests

Easier this way Baz, you do like to make life difficult for yourself (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue2.gif) Did have to move the ships apart though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 12 2007, 08:59 AM
Post #11

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Yeah!! Glad you changed the synopsis area and color, now it's look perfect.
This is indeed a great cover, i don't have all your covers, but this one is a "must-have" (pardon for my bad english (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) )

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

sauron
post Oct 12 2007, 09:22 AM
Post #12

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/SHOCKED.gif) this is an excellent cover m8 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Oct 12 2007, 11:03 AM
Post #13

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

Yep - this is replacing my horrible UK retail

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Oct 12 2007, 01:03 PM
Post #14

Guests

Thanks for all your help, will up this to the gallery shortly.

+Quote Post

T1001
post Oct 12 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #15

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

finally, the search for a good cover for this movie is over, because of your work. had thoughts about the synopsis of the ship, but know all looks great. thank you for this.

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 12 2007, 04:35 PM
Post #16

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

I'm using Bunny's cover, but this cover deserves to be on the shelf.
Well done Skally! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Oct 12 2007, 08:54 PM
Post #17

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

This is funny...............i did not agree with arks comments regarding the tag and such, I thought the whole thing looked just right from the off including the bar code.........so, its just shows you "One Mans Meat Is Another Mans Poison" etc.

I think the reason why designers are swayed away from using bar codes is due to peer pressure....... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) ...........and, few people know how they work!!!!!!
No guts..................go on skally make my day m8................stick the biggest bar code you can find right smack on the back (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

great cover m8..................superb stuff (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Oct 13 2007, 02:48 AM
Post #18

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

I'm the barcode man piggy-boy!!

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Oct 13 2007, 05:19 AM
Post #19

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

hehehehehehehe........................i know you are arky m8 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/giggle.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Oct 13 2007, 11:02 PM
Post #20

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

closed

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 11:14 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS