Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fubster
post Sep 3 2007, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Code Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
King Kong by Dweez

(A note to the forum admin: this post may violate the “quick introduction” description as suggested in your pinned post)

I am a computer programmer by trade, and I am self taught in graphic design (although I do not know if my skills warrant that description). I started with Microsoft’s Image Composer (it came free with Front Page 98) back in 1998, and I had a hard time switching to Adobe Photoshop about two years ago. At this point I can say with a high level of confidence that I am strong in a good 5% of the features that Photoshop has to offer. Maybe 6%. I use version CS2 (9.0).

I’ve never been into forums before, and as such do not have a photo or signature graphic yet. I’d like to add those, but everything in due time. I found this incredibly awesome site while on the search for some movie graphics. I actually stumbled into another (unnamed) site that seems to have lost its owner, and someone there pointed me in this direction!

I have been creating my own custom DVD labels for about a year now. I own an Epson R200 printer, which prints directly onto inkjet printable CD/DVDs. It looks like this printer is no longer on the market, but that the R280 has the same features. I have been very happy with the results, with the possible exception of black ink smearing/smudging. I used clear coat on a few with decent results, but in the end I decided that was just too much work.

For a while I was printing onto some TDK brand printable DVDs, I got an exceptional deal at a local warehouse club store. Since then, I switched to Verbatim Hub Printable, and I absolutely LOVE having that extra printable surface area.

I only create labels. I keep all of my movies in CD Wallets, so I have no use for covers, and this has also led to some design decisions, as you will see. Generally speaking, information that might only be found on the cover, I may include on my labels.

What you will usually find on my movie labels:
  • Title
  • Year (according to IMDB)
  • Genre (usually according to IMDB)
  • Actors (usually first billed actors as indicated by bold on allmovie.com)
  • DVD Extra features as found on the version I have
  • On occasion I will list the director/producer/writer etc. if it has meaning to me.

What you will generally not find on my movie labels:
  • Fine print (“this movie is solely intended for the private viewing yada yada yada All rights reserved”)
  • Movie studio logos
  • Other logos or insignias (like Dolby, CC, NTSC/PAL, Aspect Ratio, Certification: R, PG-13, etc). The only exception I can think of is the DVD Video logo.
  • Running time – however, I am seriously contemplating adding this to my labels, as this is usually information I want to know when I am deciding what movie to watch.

(Please note that all of the above are personal preferneces, and I make no judgements on you if your preferences are different.)

Almost all of my “good” labels were 1000x1000 or 1200x1200, so I am in the middle of re-working enough of them (without degrading the quality) to produce a proving ground post. However, here is a single sample of my work – comments are appreciated.
http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pos=-37692

So,
Hola
Bonjour
Guten Tag
Pree-vyet
Jambo
Hello

- Fubster

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Sep 3 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #2

Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Members

Miss Potter by Venome

My Favorite Cover Designer:
To many to choose from

Welcome to Hires cover (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post

sauron
post Sep 4 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #3

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Sep 4 2007, 09:12 AM
Post #4

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

wow - I think that is the longest intro we have ever had (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif) Great design on your demo label. I look forward to seeing more of your work. Only thing I am not keen on your label is the bevel on the text ... otherwise great work (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

nonini
post Sep 4 2007, 06:27 PM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png) Fubster to hires

Cheers nonini (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

Ruso gkn
post Sep 4 2007, 08:44 PM
Post #6

The Old Brazilian Guy
Group Icon

Group: Members

Retired Master Designer

Madagascar By Gurizão

SXS

Welcome mate (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
Ruso Gkn Artwork®

+Quote Post

drastija
post Sep 5 2007, 04:47 PM
Post #7

Little Devil
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)

IPB
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
there you long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · New Member Introductions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 07:13 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS