Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
gutterballs
post Jun 16 2007, 11:38 PM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Bunny Dojo's Blade Runner

Well, this is my first time trying this. I have been getting feedback after I post a cover... And it is very productive criticism, so I thought maybe I should give this a try. This is just a little something I was working on for "Death Proof"... Not even close to DVD release yet, but my favorite movie so far this year. So this is what I have so far. What do you think? Any suggestions? Comments? Astrological advice?

(IMG:http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9498/deathproofcustomsmallec4.th.jpg)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jun 17 2007, 08:08 PM
Post #2

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Bunny Dojo

Never heard of Death Proof. Is this for the Grindhouse movie? I have not seen it so I cannot coment on whether this captures the feel. I can say the screencaps are way too large and intrusive. I'd lose one and make the others smaller and spaced. The front title is very heavy to the left. Any plans for the right side? Maybe try an alternative title treatment? That white-gray background needs work. Need real grunge back there. Maybe find you a nice grunge stock image from the resources section and play around with it.

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 17 2007, 10:36 PM
Post #3

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Yeah, Death Proof is half of the Grindhouse movie, but I heard it is going to be distributed seperate outside of the US and on video release. I also liked it alot more than the other half of Grindhouse. So, great suggestions... I am going to give those a try. I threw the pics on the back in haste, just to get an idea of how things might look. But you're right, they are too big. I am going to go with some different style pics on back, I think. More old print-looking. And I will definately try some of your other suggestions. Thanks!

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 20 2007, 02:00 AM
Post #4

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Ok, I have messed around with some grunge in the background and added some more graphics. I am going to fix the titles on the spine and I would put a synopsis in the middle of back cover and credits on bottom in the black of the car. Is this looking better? Any more suggestions?

URL=http://imageshack.us](IMG:http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/9892/deathproof3ab9.jpg) [/URL]

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jun 20 2007, 09:05 AM
Post #5

Guests

Hi gutterballs, it has a lot of potential, and the graphic style and movie for that matter really lend themselves to grunge, so [ersonally I'l really grunge it up more and add in to real gritty grain.

BTW, the spine logo's you've used really belong on the back, the spine logo is usually (but not always) the one for the publishing studio. As yet since the DVD details aren't released it's difficult to tell which one it will be.

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 20 2007, 03:54 PM
Post #6

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Thanks, Skally! I will work on that. Now here's a question. Since it is not out on DVD yet, would you guys guess at ratio, surround sound, subtitles, all of that information? Should I put that stuff on there? I mean, I assume it will be in the same aspect ratio as theaters, and assume it'll be in Dolby and DTS, but so many other covers have that big box of info on them. Some also have special features and I have NO IDEA what the special features will be. Do you just fake it or should I just do a synopsis and credits?

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Jun 20 2007, 05:20 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

WOOT ........................ my m8 Tartantinio would just love this one buddy..................way of the wall for this movie..................super looking job (IMG:style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Just sort that spine title!

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jun 23 2007, 06:33 PM
Post #8

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

usually people use studio legal/logos on the back but leave out the special features. Some do fake the special features as well. It's up to you and your personal standards.

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 25 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Okay, fixed spine problems and played a little with some graphics. I added some more grain for you grain lovers out there. I typed up a little synopsis, but it is too white and I will be messing with the colors to see what pops for the synopsis. Will add credits at the bottom, then I think I am just about done. Any more feedback? Ideas? Do you guys like the fake bargain sticker on the front?

(IMG:http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/9920/deathproof4testcb3.jpg)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 26 2007, 07:41 AM
Post #10

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

I personally don't like the bargain sticker. The synopsis is also way too large. People normally stick to a font around size 7 or 8. Maybe you could reduce the synopsis and fill the space with some screen shots, or critique quotes? The rest is looking really good (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 29 2007, 12:00 AM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Okay, I am trying to admonish the "Finish your W.I.P." commandment and finish this up. Sticker is removed. Synopsis finished and font size 8. Screen shots and Critic quotes: Check. Company credits... Done. How's it look? Ready to upload?

(IMG:http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/2456/deathproof5ln6.jpg)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jun 29 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #12

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

Turning out good. Move the running time text up a little bit and center it, keep it from touching the logos. The region 1 logo looks funny. It's stretched way high.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jun 29 2007, 06:52 AM
Post #13

Guests

Nice job GB, nothing much left to add, although I'd probably see what the synopsis look like if you drop the point size a little.

+Quote Post

gutterballs
post Jun 30 2007, 03:38 PM
Post #14

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Fixed the running time and region 1 logo. Tried a different font size and tried different show transparencies, but this is the one that is the most readable, in my opinion. So I am uploading it to the Covers section, and closing this thread. Thanks to everyone for the helpful words. I will be posting some covers I have already worked on in here to try and make them better, as well as some new ones I am working on. Thanks again!

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 05:56 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS