Hi User Name,
The text for my highlander covers, was made in Cinema 4D, like this:
1. Add the text, by clickick the text object tool
2. Edit the text as desired using the object properties, change text, font size spacing etc,
3. Highlight the text object, then hold down the alt key and add an extrude nurb
4. Load the materials you want (in this case i used my own brushed metal shader) there are loads of cool textures available at www.c4dtextures.com and drag it from the materials editor window on to the extrude nurb obeject.
5. adjust the view as required an then render out to desired resolution not forgetting to include an alpha channel so cutting the object out becomes a simple process in photoshop.
Hope this helps