Tagline
Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
leonardsean
post Dec 19 2020, 02:10 PM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hi all,

I have been dabbling in creating cover art for myself for a number of years now. I only do DVD covers and labels.

Unfortunately, I do not have access to Photoshop or other professional graphic arts software. I have been creating covers in PowerPoint.

I have created covers for a number of rare older movies that I wanted to share with the community, but not quite sure how to go about downloading your DVD template in a form that can be accessed in PowerPoint and then I can save it in a format that is compatible with the users of your website.

Also, not sure about what you require for information on a cover (i.e. actors, directors; duration, DVD region etc.) as I typically only add movie stills, a title still and movie synopsis.

Here's an example. (not really looking for a critique, I know you have feedback/Work-in-Progress forum. Just added pic to show an example). Really looking for advice or direction to instructions to upload my covers in a way that you can use (if desired). --Sean

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To leonardsean For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Dec 19 2020, 02:55 PM
Post #2

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 2,502
Label Of The Month
Most Wins 2020

Your image needs to be in landscape or horizontal orientation.

Should be saved as a JPG.

Dimensions would be 3240 pixels wide by 2175 pixels tall @ 300dpi.

A free program like IrfanView can help you rotate the image, then correct the dpi setting.

The preview above appears to be 150dpi.

IPB

My Gallery • Please leave a like and short comment if you download my work, thanks. • My Criterion Collection

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, leonardsean, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

leonardsean
post Dec 19 2020, 04:49 PM
Post #3

New to the scene
Group Icon

Ok downloaded the Irfan program and used it to modify the file to a .JPG, rotated it and I think it changed the definition to 300 DPI and size to 3240x2175. Let me know if this is what you're looking for, or if I did something wrong. --Sean

This post has been edited by leonardsean: Dec 20 2020, 03:50 PM

+Quote Post

leonardsean
post Dec 19 2020, 05:03 PM
Post #4

New to the scene
Group Icon

Next question: I typically will use Poster art for the front cover, does that relegate my covers to "scanned" if the rest of the cover (back and spine) are original?

--Sean

+Quote Post

ctaulbee
post Dec 20 2020, 12:50 AM
Post #5

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Label Of The Month
Most Wins 2020

Scanned means retail, so as long as it's not the same art as used on the Retail cover and the back is self made then it would be considered a custom work.

The quality of the images used in your example would not be high enough to get approved for inclusion to the gallery here, the images need to be clean and crisp and those are quite blurry.

IPB

My Gallery • Please leave a like and short comment if you download my work, thanks. • My Criterion Collection

+Quote Post

Bazzah, Jazzy, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Jazzy
post Dec 20 2020, 12:51 PM
Post #6

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 618

welcome.png

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Jazzy For This Post:

leonardsean
post Dec 20 2020, 01:49 PM
Post #7

New to the scene
Group Icon

I think the decrease in quality may be due to the transition from Powerpoint (not created large enough) output to JPG, modified in Irfan...Will play with it a little to see if I can get a conversion system that will retain the quality. --Sean

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To leonardsean For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

leonardsean
post Dec 20 2020, 03:49 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

I resized it in Power point (96 pixels = 1") then saved is a JPG opened it in Irfan and it was (5068x3401) I resized it to 3240x2175, and 300 dpi. saved it as a JPG. Let me know if the picture quality is till fuzzy, or if it improved any. It may be just that I chose low def pictures to include. Any additional advice or insight would be appreciated. --Sean

This post has been edited by leonardsean: Dec 20 2020, 04:44 PM

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To leonardsean For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Dec 20 2020, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Site Owner
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,420

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

We make allowances for lower quality images for older titles, when the images are difficult to source. But there are some issues with the quality of this still.
The main one I can see, is the text at the bottom of the front. That would need to be removed, as it is very low quality.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Dec 20 2020, 07:41 PM
Post #10

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Label Of The Month
Most Wins 2020

As a point of clarification the dpi in Powerpoint does not matter, that is a printer setting so going from 96 to 300 just makes the image print the correct size.

The problem is the resizing, should not have to do that.

You should be working at the correct size in Powerpoint (3240 pixels by 2175 pixels DPI does not matter at that point), this way no pixel resizing is required.

Then once you save it as a jpg at whatever dpi from Powerpoint, open that in file in IrfanView.

Then on the resize screen only change the dpi to 300 from whatever it is and re-save it at 100% quality, that way the image is not resampled as the pixel count remains unchanged.

Here is a overview of what DPI is LINK as it has nothing to do with quality only changing the number of pixels or compression rate will affect image quality.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

leonardsean
post Dec 20 2020, 11:45 PM
Post #11

New to the scene
Group Icon

I think the problem is converting out of Power point. PP works in inches not pixels. So when I took my template (which is set up 1:1 for the cover size when printed; I've been doing 10.85"x 7.27") and saved it as a JPG file, and then opened it in Irfan it was still 10.85" x 7.27" but only 1626 x 1094 pixels.

I google searched a unit conversion calculator online that gave me 96 pixels = 1" as a typical standard conversion. So given that correlation: 3240 x 2175 pixels = 33.75" x 22.66". I then scaled up my 10.85" x7.27" drawing in power point to 33.75" x 22.66". I increased the text fonts accordingly and saved it as a JPG again.

When I called up the new JPG in Irfan it was now 5068 x 3401 pixels (but still 33.75" x 22.66") I used Irfan to resize it to 3240 x 2175 pixels. Irfan had 150 as a DPI default, which I switched to 300 and resized/resampled it, then saved it as a JPG and uploaded it here.

As far as the low quality of the text in the front cover...that was poor quality from the poster image itself which could be cleaned up easily...

But the remainder is acceptable? I'm more interested in the conversion process at this point.

And thanks all for the assistance.

--Sean

+Quote Post

ctaulbee
post Dec 21 2020, 03:48 AM
Post #12

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Label Of The Month
Most Wins 2020

I don't know if this will help or not but a typical DVD cover from the gallery here in Photoshop at 3240 X 2175 @ 300dpi

Attached Image

Will print 10.8 X 7.25 inches.

Attached Image

That same image, if re-sample is turned off (ratios locked) and the dpi only is changed to 96dpi, it will then print 33.75 X 22.656 inches.

Attached Image

IPB

+Quote Post

Bazzah, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo, xspankyxduckx

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · New Member Introductions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 27th February 2021 - 02:56 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS