Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
swampdogk
post Dec 29 2006, 08:00 AM
Post #1

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hi all

I don't usually post covers in WIP but I'm at a loss with what to do with this. Perhaps I should just trash it?

Any help appreciated.

Attached Image

Cheers

swampdogk

IPB
Offering my opinion. Just in case anyone actually cares what it is.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

sauron
post Dec 30 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

front look good but back need work, maybe get rid of the big picture and also get rid of the names on the back as they would be in the credits

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Dec 30 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #3

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

My Favorite Cover Designer:
umi & nini

doesn't seem to be many folks involved in wip comments anymore, but I'll help where I can. The front is ok as is, except for the dvd logo, most of us don't use logos on the fronts anymore. White covers are ok too, cept some sort of texturizing effect or shading will improve apprearance, not to mention make it aesier to cut out after printing. hehe. As for the back, yes if your gonna use some sort of standardized credits, the actors names should be included there. You could and in this case should blend your pic into the cover rather than place on top. Great idea for the sypnosis on the tub, but it should be justified to the shape of the tub.
enough for now, keep at it, you got a good start to work with! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

swampdogk
post Dec 30 2006, 04:29 AM
Post #4

Valued Member
Group Icon

Strangely the actors names aren't in the credits on the poster. The names are across the top of the poster, perhaps that's why not. I moved them onto the top of the rear but it looked stupid with the large pic. Moving them down the bottom was sort of a desperation act. Hence you'll note it's got a 2 at the end of the cover name. I wanted to keep the pic as the synopsis on the bathtub was my main inspiration for the rear, but I can't get it to look any good with the rest of the cover white as it is.

Perhaps as you say chefjoe, if I introduce some sort of texture onto the white background that might make it fit in better. I guess I could try fading the pic as well to try & get some balance.

As for the full justify onto the shape of the bathtub I'll have to take some time & find that tut on how to do this. Always wanted to nail that for shaping to other stuff. I guess this is my chance to do it. Fingers crossed the tut was for CS2.

Thx for the feedback chefjoe.

IPB

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Dec 30 2006, 11:02 AM
Post #5

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

I have to agree, the back is not working as it is. I like the idea of the synopsis across the bath tub, but it needs to fit better. Maybe try rasterising the text layer, and warping it to fit? Also, I would be inclined to cut out the bath tub, and lose the background. The rest of the cover is simple and white, and this makes the image very hard on the eyes. What you could do, is recreate the writing on the wall as a background.

IPB

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Dec 30 2006, 01:47 PM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

That sounds cool.

for the justifying of the text, I'll try to explain, not sure i'll get it write though, select new layer, then the pen tool, up on the top bar, you'll see 3 squares with pen tools in them, select the one in the middle, I believe this is Target Path. Then go to your pic and click, you see a small square, place these squares one at a time around the area you want your text, while you do thiss you will see a line form between each square, that is your target path for text. Once you form your shape, click back to text, you'll see the the text i bar sourrrounded by () something like this (I). Then you simply type in or paste in your text, do this with justification set at extreme left. Once your text is in simple justifiy on the far right justification box (in the paragraph pallet) whic is all by it's lonesome. Look at your text and highlight then rejustify the last line if needed to extreme left, and u r finished. What justifiing will do is space the text evenly thoughout your target path, so sometimes the last line will look funny. Then if once you have left text mode you still see the target path, go to View/Show/ Remove Target Path, and u r done. I sure hope that works for u, but that's exactly how i do it. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Dec 30 2006, 04:16 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

Do you know something cheffy is right....................not much happens down here now...............why is that I can remember back too the old days where everyone used to hang out in wip.............and the dumb game spot......(master of mayhem).................but, things seem to have moved away from here..........even mods don't get down here (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

I will make it my new year resolution to fairly comment in the WIP section (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

swampdogk
post Jan 1 2007, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Valued Member
Group Icon

Changed things around a bit. Cut out the tub as suggested by Bazzah. ( never been the best at, nor liked cutting out much.) Doing it on new years day after getting home at 4.30 am doesn't make it any more fun believe me.

Obviously this is only a rough draft but do you think this is better or how would you improve it.

The idea is to put a couple of screenies in the finger holes of the scissors. Put special features on the bathub. Fix up the credits block including adding the actors names.

Better, worse?

& Bazzah when you said use the "writing on the wall" as a background do you mean for the whole cover including the front, only the rear. I guess it could incorporate it under the current incarnation by making the writing reasonably light.

I'll wait for reactions/suggestions before progressing further.

Cheers

swamp
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

IPB

+Quote Post

sauron
post Jan 1 2007, 01:05 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Getting better but the image has been cut of

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jan 1 2007, 01:58 PM
Post #10

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

Try the writing just on the back, and see how it looks

IPB

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Jan 1 2007, 04:55 PM
Post #11

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

heaps better...................but, yes its a shame part of both images are missing.................but, certainly is a big improvement on the first one.................try what baz suggest....................

if you cannot improve on the lady in the bath's hair...........(try clone tool)...............then just run a vertical tag line over the missing bit (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

swampdogk
post Jan 1 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #12

Valued Member
Group Icon

While there is a part of the bath image missing it's nowhere near what you see currently and I'll be looking for another image of a pair of scissors. The above image was just a 10 second cut & paste just to show what I was thinking.

I'll try the writing on the back & see how it looks.

cheers

swamp

IPB

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 9th December 2016 - 09:35 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS