Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
dweez
post Dec 17 2006, 04:57 PM
Post #1

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Group: Members

Retired Master Designer

I just picked myself up a r380 and hoping one of you epson pros can give me a little advice... First thing I did when I got the thing installed was print off a couple pics of my new baby girl and the results (for what I'm used to) were just amazing. I've clearly been living in the dark ages as far as printers are concerned. On to the dvd covers... Everything looks beautiful except for the text, particularly the smaller text. Blurred out, discoloration, parts of it missing, etc. I'm using glossy photo paper and have that paper selected in my settings. Is it possible my problem is that I'm not using printer specific (epson) paper? Something else in the settings? Has anyone else experienced this? Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

dweez.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Dec 17 2006, 05:06 PM
Post #2

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

I use an Epson R300, and have always noticed the really small text, such as the legal text, is very hard to read. I have always presumed it is down to the weight of the paper used. Using Epson paper will not make any difference. Using heavier grade paper most probably will, but if you go to high, you can't fold the paper into the case. I use 150 gsm paper, and just put up with the legal text. But then, are you ever going to get that text to be really good, using a home printer?

IPB

+Quote Post

dweez
post Dec 17 2006, 05:18 PM
Post #3

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

The paper I'm using is 165 gsm and the text output is simply unacceptable. It isn't just hard to read... you can't read it at all.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Dec 17 2006, 06:09 PM
Post #4

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

I have an R220, using Epson Premium Photo Paper (Glossy) 8.5x11, 68lb, 10.4 mil. My printing preferences: Best Photo, Type: premium glossy photo paper, PhotoEnhance checked. Advanced Settings: High Speed unchecked, Edge Smoothing unchecked. My text is absolutely sharp down to the legal and credits.

+Quote Post

Demonology
post Dec 17 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Custom Cover:
The Wrestler By Samppa

EuroBoy

same setting i have for my r220 rob lol
Although not used the r380 some settings maybe a little different like the difference between r200 and r220 which is paper settings mostly.

Trick is to experiment and find the setting that suit you and the kind of paper you use.

IPB

+Quote Post

dweez
post Dec 17 2006, 06:58 PM
Post #6

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

QUOTE(Irrob @ Dec 17 2006, 11:09 AM) [snapback]35803[/snapback]
I have an R220, using Epson Premium Photo Paper (Glossy) 8.5x11, 68lb, 10.4 mil. My printing preferences: Best Photo, Type: premium glossy photo paper, PhotoEnhance checked. Advanced Settings: High Speed unchecked, Edge Smoothing unchecked. My text is absolutely sharp down to the legal and credits.

I'm going to go and get some epson paper and give that a whirl. Though for some odd reason I get okay results using the plain paper setting and using glossy photo paper (not epson). What weight is the paper you're using irrob? And what color profile are you using?

just noticed you said the weight. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/duh.gif)

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post Dec 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Post #7

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Stargate - The Movie by Powers

Scaramanga

I have had a hard time finding paper the was good quality, not to heavy, not to light and not to expensive. After many tries I have found HP Photo Paper 180 gsm is the best. even small legal text is perfectly readable.

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

dweez
post Dec 17 2006, 07:12 PM
Post #8

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

What printer are you using ubl?

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Dec 17 2006, 07:18 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

epson r300
i wont add to the confusion, but suffice to say trail and error is the best way to find optimum settings, i'm lucky and get on well with my local supplier so i can 'try' various papers out before i buy bulk,unlike irrob i set my printer for 'text and photo'

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

corky
post Dec 17 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #10

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

I was using a R300 with dirt cheap paper lol, 180gsm matt, and have never noticed not being able to read the legal's or any other tiny text, but them am as deaf as a post, and can usually read what others can not (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) , on the odd occasion the legals have been a little fuzzy, but I notice that's usually depends on the quality of the legals in the first place.

Anyone point out another printer that prints direct to disc as my R300 as gone to pastures new in printer heaven :(

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Dec 17 2006, 08:50 PM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I have noticed this on some covers, sometimes even synopsis text depending on how big it is in the cover. You can use a fairly high gsm paper and it will still fold in the case, i myself use G&G 210 gsm glossy paper. It was cheap and is incredibly thick. Usually have really good results with it. It also has a glossy and matte side so you can use either one.

My usual settings with an R200 are, Photo(not best) quality, premium glossy photo paper, standard icm, high speed and edge smoothing disabled.

Only real complaint i have is that i'm having a hard time getting the color to match between the monitor and printer, probably need to re-run adobe's calibrator again.

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post Dec 17 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #12

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Stargate - The Movie by Powers

Scaramanga

QUOTE(dweez @ Dec 17 2006, 08:12 PM) [snapback]35816[/snapback]
What printer are you using ubl?

I knew I had forgotten something. I use a r200

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

Lister
post Dec 17 2006, 10:34 PM
Post #13

New to the scene
Group Icon

My small print looks good. It is readable cause my wife can read it without her glasses. I use an R300 with Kirkland pro glossy inkjet photo paper from costco 12.50 for 125 sheets and it is 255g. my settings are as follows in printer options.
Quality Option set as - PHOTO
Print Options - PHOTO ENHANCE - checked
Paper Type - Premium Glossy Photo Paper

All others are default but you could try Best Photo for Quality Option

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Dec 17 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #14

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

By the way, i believe that all the high speed option does is print on both the left and right stroke, i don't think it actually causes the print head to move faster. Although i still uncheck it, might not hurt to leave it on.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Dec 17 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #15

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

QUOTE(dweez @ Dec 17 2006, 01:58 PM) [snapback]35813[/snapback]
And what color profile are you using?

profiles are different on each of my computers. I just let Windows set them automatically.

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Dec 17 2006, 11:23 PM
Post #16

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I make sure that PS is using my monitors installed color profile that came with the monitor. When i print from within a program like PS i always make sure that color management is only being handled by one program, either the printer's software or PS itself, otherwise they seem to fight each other and prints don't look very close to the on screen version.

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Dec 25 2006, 10:59 PM
Post #17

Valued Member
Group Icon

I am using the same settings as Irrob on Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss inkjet photo paper (250 gsm).
I get excellent results on my Espon 220 but I do have to slightly lengthen the cover image to accomodate the heavyweight paper.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Dec 26 2006, 12:15 AM
Post #18

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

different prob.......................i use an r340................which prints out on everything event bum paper...........but, i cannot for the life of me centralize my disc prints...............i get a white off set border around the perimeter...............any help ..................anyone (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Dec 26 2006, 01:57 AM
Post #19

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

What i do in Surething disc labeler that i use is to expand the size of the disc in the software, that tricks the printer into thinking the disc is bigger than it is and it prints all the way to the edge and then some.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 6th December 2016 - 10:18 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS