Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
de_cypher
post May 17 2006, 04:59 AM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

Unfortunately the search function won't let me search for anything under three characters so I am sorry if this is a silly, often-asked question...

Is there any reason why people aren't creating acrobat .pdf versions of their custom covers and making them available for download?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post May 18 2006, 07:12 AM
Post #2

Guests

QUOTE(de_cypher @ May 17 2006, 05:59 AM) [snapback]1398[/snapback]
Unfortunately the search function won't let me search for anything under three characters so I am sorry if this is a silly, often-asked question...

Is there any reason why people aren't creating acrobat .pdf versions of their custom covers and making them available for download?

Mainly due to the requirement for extra software (acrobat to create them) and whilst PDF has distinct benefits over JPEG I also believe the gallery we use doesn't support pdf currently (Bazzah correct me if I'm wrong)

Also it's what were all used to (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) , if PDF does work I'll do a test since I can colour correct a PDF for print far easier than I can a jpeg (work in a print trade related industry).

Hope that helps. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post May 18 2006, 07:48 AM
Post #3

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

As Skally said, jpg is a universal format, that will work without the need for extra software. If we started using pdf, then we would be swamped with members asking how to use them. So, it's not very practical.

IPB

+Quote Post

de_cypher
post May 19 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #4

New to the scene
Group Icon

fair enough. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

I realise it [ Acrobat ] isn't as widely used outside the printing industry and that some members may not know how to create a decent .pdf file, but Acrobat Reader is a free download and most browsers [ with the help of a plugin ] can display .pdf files, therefore I would imagine the printing aspect wouldn't be an issue. There might be some education required for cover generators, however.

As Skallywag alluded to, immediate benefits over the JPEG file format could be;
artwork for both the outside and inside of cases could be offered in one file, or layered files for multiple languages [ or the ability to 'switch off' the synopsis on the back, leaving the base artwork and logos etc for others to customise or translate ], CYMK colour space and vector based font information [ possibly leading to smaller files? ].

Should this be of any interest to anyone, I would be happy to write up some documentation for a FAQ/Wiki section?

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post May 19 2006, 08:48 AM
Post #5

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

It's not that I disagree with what you say, it would probably be adventageous to use pdf files. But don't forget (no offense intended at all) some members struggle to switch their PC on. I know a couple of people personaly, that use this site, that have just amazed me by creating a membership by themsleves! So, you have to consider, no matter how good a tutorial, there will always be a percentage of members that will be trying to open up a downloaded image, and eventualy give up trying, and give up the site. We have created th5s s5te t6 be as user friendly as possible.

IPB

+Quote Post

de_cypher
post May 19 2006, 09:31 AM
Post #6

New to the scene
Group Icon

While I understand your point, I think it is a shame to hinder progress for the sake of familiarity or to limit options in order to safeguard users from themselves.

much respect, de.

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post May 19 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #7

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Stargate - The Movie by Powers

Scaramanga

as far as I remember you can't create pdf files with the free Adobe Acrobat you will need the pro version which isn't cheap. I know there are cheaper programs that can make them, but I have never really experimented in that area.

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post May 19 2006, 01:07 PM
Post #8

Guests

I gotta agree with the benefits proposition, but as Bazzah said it's a much broader audience than you can imagine.

As ubl says your talking about adding about £400 to the creators costs for a copy of Acrobat Pro (required for most of the functionality you mention) and cheaper alternatives like NikNak only provide 'distiller' like functionality and poor compatiblity. Perhaps we can make some tests in the future to asess acceptance. But it also adds extra work for the designer and since the is a non paying gig, well you get the picture I'm sure (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post May 19 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #9

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

It's like the difference between DVD and HD DVD, know what I mean? Fact is, that sort of change will be tough on alot of folks.

+Quote Post

de_cypher
post May 20 2006, 06:09 AM
Post #10

New to the scene
Group Icon

there is always some issues when straying from accepted behaviour, and that's to be expected.

we all love film and that's why we're here. We are constantly searching for the next golden format [ having moved from celluloid to VCR to laser disc to DVD and now to HD DVD/Blu Ray ] that will provide us with the ultimate image, we have Dolby 5.1 pumped through top quality surround sound systems as we watch our HDTV, 1080i plasma screens in darkened rooms in an effort to do whatever we can to enhance or improve our film watching experience - why not reflect our love of perfection in the quality of our custom cover art?

.jpg files are grand. they certainly do the job and I am in no way suggesting contributors should start releasing their work in .pdf format only, rather that those with the required software/skills be able to offer [ perhaps along side the standard .jpg file ] a .pdf version should they decide the benefits of the format are appropriate.

Hires has some very talented members [ a lot of you have posted in this thread ], why not allow your work to be admired in the best quality you can offer?

No other cover site I know of offer .pdf files, here is an opportunity to lead the way..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Design Questions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 4th December 2016 - 01:51 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS