Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
JolietJake
post Oct 16 2006, 05:55 PM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Since Kelly's heroes got corrupted i thought i'd try this instead. I'd really like to do a citycape type thing for the back. i realize the back gradient dosen't perfectly match the front but its ok. i might remove it from the spine so the front and back don't touch.

(IMG:http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/8703/darkmanar2.jpg)

BTW does anyone know what font is used for the darkman title?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

nonini
post Oct 16 2006, 06:06 PM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

Nice start JolietJake, (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 16 2006, 06:42 PM
Post #3

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Does anyone know how to do an easy cityscape silhouette? Just random sized/type city buildings for the back. Thought there might be a brush of some type but i'm not finding anything.

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Oct 16 2006, 08:10 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

i would download an image of say L.A where it was shot , and paste it as a new layer on the back,then on another layer point to point the outline and fill it. the gradient needs to match,skally's you man for that. and i would fill out the cape,so it flows over the spine into the back cover (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Oct 16 2006, 08:28 PM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

My Favorite Cover Designer:
umi & nini

Hey sweet poster for the front, looks to me that you have the font nailed. Goood sound idea for the back. If I were doin it, I'd simple choose the best cityscape pic you have duplicate the layer and fill it what ever color u want. Nice start (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 16 2006, 09:06 PM
Post #6

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I might try extending the cape. Soemtimes my cloen wrok dosen't look so great though. I'll try to fix the gradient,if i can't though i may just remove it from the spind so theres space between the front and back. That way the gradient won't touch and you wont see an obvious seam between them.

+Quote Post

sauron
post Oct 16 2006, 09:14 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

looks good so far but i would put the universal logo at the top of the spine

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 16 2006, 09:53 PM
Post #8

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I think i did a good job on the cityscape on the back. The spine title is just a place holder until i can find the right font. I tried to blend the gradients but nothing really worked right. I'll either seperate them with the spine or if somebody can tell me how to fix it i'll try again. I tried the blur and smudge tools but they didn't help. Didn't mean to extend the cityscape across the spine either,didn't notice it before.

(IMG:http://img288.imageshack.us/img288/317/darkmanma9.jpg)

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Oct 16 2006, 10:10 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

like the cityscape,might be worth trying to continue the city across from the front as well,(make the buildings the same blue and just dab yellow lights on).

IPB

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 17 2006, 12:09 AM
Post #10

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Well if i'd done it like i meant too the back buildings would of stopped at the spine. i know as they are it dosen't look right. The front looks more like a painting and i don't think i'd be able to replicate that look

I still need to know that font too. Dosen't look like anything special,think i've seen it somewhere else too.

+Quote Post

drastija
post Oct 17 2006, 12:21 PM
Post #11

Little Devil
Group Icon

Looking good so far (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
"Once you have flown, you will walk the earth with
your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been,
there you long to return."

Leonardo da Vinci

+Quote Post

swampdogk
post Oct 17 2006, 01:14 PM
Post #12

Valued Member
Group Icon

I'm with my dog mate here on the silhouette.

Cut the background out of the front image below the cape & continue the silhouette around the front. You can also extend your gradient from the back here as well & that will give you the match you require for the bottom half of the cover. The top half looks a lot closer & should be easier to match. Clone the rest of the cape & I think you are well on the way to a winner.

I look forward to you implementing all my actions. lol. j/k. well, not really. Just didn't want to look bossy. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

Cheers

swamp

IPB
Offering my opinion. Just in case anyone actually cares what it is.

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 17 2006, 04:06 PM
Post #13

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Cutting all that out won't be extremely easy. the bottom half with the buildings would be,but the top with the helicopters could be tricky. I'll see what i can do.

I wish my silhouette matched the buildings in the front. The stark black silhouette won't look quite as good as the ones already there. They have the painted look the rest of the poster has.

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Oct 17 2006, 05:24 PM
Post #14

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

IF YOU CUT IT OUT POINT TO POINT AND FEATHER THE SELECTION IT WORKS REALLY WELL, ITS JUST A CASE OF GETTING THE AMOUNT OF FEATHER RIGHT

oops sorry,not shouting..if you check out my lifeforce cover the main image was cut in the same way, and it blends in really well.

IPB

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 17 2006, 05:49 PM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Yeah its not that, i've cut things out before. Its just that theres some things int he way at the top like the helicopters and spotlights etc...

I'll give it my best try though,

+Quote Post

CavemanLawyer
post Oct 17 2006, 06:54 PM
Post #16

Valued Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

You don't need to touch anything near the helicopters. They are just telling you to remove the section at the very bottom of the front where the buildings are and put your silloutte buildings there instead. I think it would be easier to just use the marquee tool and select the building and then fill it with black.

The gradient is fine but if you are going to make this art span the cover than you need to blend it. Use a feathered clone brush and use a low opacity. Click part of the front and clone it across the seam onto the back (and vice-versa.) Cloudy graident-like colors, like what you have, are extremely easy to blend.

As for the font, what do you need it for? You've got the title treatment there on the poster. Copy and paste it on the spine. I don't think there's any reason to use that font for the synopsis or anything like that.

As for the cover as a whole, it gets the job done I guess but I just don't feel that it fits the movie very well. The cityscape on the front is a pretty insignificant part of the posterart and it doesn't really have anything to do with the film. I just don't think this artwork spans well. I'd suggest making the spine and back different from the front entirely...but that's just me.

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Oct 17 2006, 08:35 PM
Post #17

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Personally i love the front art. Its obviously night time and he is called darkman after all. I wanted to keep the whole city at night theme running throughout the cover. I can copy the front title fine but i hear people saying its better to create one from scratch all the time. No big deal.

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post Oct 17 2006, 09:21 PM
Post #18

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Stargate - The Movie by Powers

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Scaramanga

the title looks a lot like Impact so shouldn't be a problem.

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

swampdogk
post Oct 17 2006, 09:34 PM
Post #19

Valued Member
Group Icon

Copy & paste for the spine all the way \o/

IPB
Offering my opinion. Just in case anyone actually cares what it is.

+Quote Post

CavemanLawyer
post Oct 17 2006, 09:50 PM
Post #20

Valued Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

If your source for the title treatment is good quality and you can cleanly isolate it from the background its on, then there's no reason to recreate it. Why reinvent the wheel?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 6th December 2016 - 09:46 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS