Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
user name
post Sep 28 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #1

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Kernies Collection

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie82

I know I have seen the tutorial somewhere, but can't find it. (maybe it was on old site, or possibly even somewhere else?) What I want to do is create a custom shaped text box (follows contours of a body or object) How can I do this?

IPB
But what do I know?

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

CavemanLawyer
post Sep 28 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #2

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Retired Master Designer

Assuming you are using Photoshop, break out the pen tool. Set it to path mode and draw your shape. Then use the text tool and click in the shape. After typing your text open the character options and go to paragraph tab and justify it how you want (full, full but bottom line left justified, etc...)

You can do other cool things too like clicking on the line of the shape. Then you can type it on the actual line, either inside or outside the shape. This is how you'd do the circular text on a disc label...not that, that has anything to do with what you are asking.

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Sep 28 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(CavemanLawyer @ Sep 28 2006, 11:40 PM) [snapback]27972[/snapback]
Assuming you are using Photoshop, break out the pen tool. Set it to path mode and draw your shape. Then use the text tool and click in the shape. After typing your text open the character options and go to paragraph tab and justify it how you want (full, full but bottom line left justified, etc...)

You can do other cool things too like clicking on the line of the shape. Then you can type it on the actual line, either inside or outside the shape. This is how you'd do the circular text on a disc label...not that, that has anything to do with what you are asking.

This only works with the latest versions of PS. If, like me, you are using a wonky old version 7, you will need to upgrade to CS or CS2 to take advantage of Cavey's advice! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure1.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

user name
post Sep 29 2006, 04:37 AM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernies Collection

Kernie82

Well damn, I'm using PS CS(v.8.0), How would I go about upgrading it? Will it be expensive?
Or how is it done in this version of PS

IPB
But what do I know?

+Quote Post

sauron
post Sep 29 2006, 06:02 AM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

user name you can do it on the version your doing i think

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Sep 29 2006, 07:56 AM
Post #6

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

You can do it using your version. I have written a tutorial, which is available in the download section.

IPB

+Quote Post

user name
post Sep 29 2006, 02:36 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernies Collection

Kernie82

I've searched the tuts, and am not sure which one you are taking about? Is it the one where it shows how to put text on the curve of a dvd? Because that's not what I want to do.

IPB
But what do I know?

+Quote Post

CavemanLawyer
post Sep 29 2006, 02:45 PM
Post #8

Valued Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

I think that's the tutorial he is talking about, yes. Just click inside the shape with the text tool instead of on the line of the shape.

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Sep 29 2006, 02:55 PM
Post #9

Site Owner
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

Thats right - and it can be used with any shape that you make, using the vector tools.

IPB

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Sep 30 2006, 03:14 AM
Post #10

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

The problem i always seem to have with justifying text to a shape is that letters sometimes get spaced to far apart.

For example- "H E L L O".

Drives me crazy sometimes.

+Quote Post

CavemanLawyer
post Sep 30 2006, 03:29 AM
Post #11

Valued Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

QUOTE(JolietJake @ Sep 30 2006, 03:14 AM) [snapback]28080[/snapback]
The problem i always seem to have with justifying text to a shape is that letters sometimes get spaced to far apart.

For example- "H E L L O".

Drives me crazy sometimes.

Play with the kerning under character settings. If all else fails, just set that one line to justify left and then manually space it how you like. But in small parts of shapes, yeah you're pretty limited in how you can arrange your text.

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Sep 30 2006, 09:51 AM
Post #12

Site Owner
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

That how I do it. Adjust the kerning to either bring the last half of the word after the '-' up, or increase it to knock it down a line.

IPB

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Design Questions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 6th December 2016 - 07:53 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS