Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Scanned art
Should we allow it?
Yes [ 208 ] ** [61.72%]
No [ 97 ] ** [28.78%]
Not bothered [ 32 ] ** [9.50%]

Bazzah
post May 16 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

As you know, we have never had scans on this site. Recently however, we have had to turn down some very good scans from the aprovals. Also, I have received quite a few messages asking why we don't accept scans.

So, do you think we should allow scanned cover art, as long as it complies with the quality we normaly require?
If we so move to scans, they would be in there own catagory, seperate from the custom art work.

As always, this site is designed for you, the members, which is why we want to make it the way you would like it!

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Irrob
post May 16 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #2

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

scans are great resources for making customs.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post May 16 2006, 04:29 PM
Post #3

Guests

I agree with Irrob, but you rarely get a good enough scan to be useful and it lowers the tone of the site a little. Perhaps be really strict on the quality and hide them away in a quite corner somewhere.

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post May 16 2006, 04:39 PM
Post #4

Goddess
Group Icon

Group: Members

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

I have to disagree with scans there are plenty of cover sites out there that do them & how much cover art is involved in popping a jacket in the scanner and hitting a button <_<
Everything is so unique here lets keep it that way

Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post May 16 2006, 04:44 PM
Post #5

Guests

QUOTE(Skallywag® @ May 16 2006, 05:29 PM) [snapback]1189[/snapback]
I agree with Irrob, but you rarely get a good enough scan to be useful and it lowers the tone of the site a little. Perhaps be really strict on the quality and hide them away in a quite corner somewhere.

I agree with you Skally, that poor scans would detract from the site. But, honestly, I really have had to turn down some excellent covers over the last couple of days - because I knew they were scans.

All I want, like Bazz says, is for this site to offer THE best resources to our members. Rest assured that the standards would NOT be reduced.

And obviously they would be in their own section - if it is not what one wants - don't look! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

And at the end of the day, we all use poster art - and alot of it has been scanned at some point! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

farscape2
post May 16 2006, 04:47 PM
Post #6

New to the scene
Group Icon

I voted a 'yes' with a 'but' attachted to it... To get a good scan, is quite some work. On most coversites, the scans are of absolutely horrid quality whereas there are certain covergroups in the scene which put out wonderful scans of retail boxes.

These often make for good sources for imagery when trying to create your own covers. Sometimes I just take the retail box when it looks really good.

But I do believe it would be good to have it in a seperate category, so you can see whether you're in the customarea or looking at the scans in the gallery.

+Quote Post

corky
post May 16 2006, 04:58 PM
Post #7

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

Well I'm voted not bothered, am I bothered no. It's up to the individual hence the vote, but if you can't find a particular cover then sometimes a scan is the last option until a cutom becomes available.

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post May 16 2006, 05:14 PM
Post #8

Guests

QUOTE(farscape2 @ May 16 2006, 05:47 PM) [snapback]1198[/snapback]
I voted a 'yes' with a 'but' attachted to it... To get a good scan, is quite some work. On most coversites, the scans are of absolutely horrid quality whereas there are certain covergroups in the scene which put out wonderful scans of retail boxes.

Maybe I can explain a bit more.

As part of the approval process, I look at each cover, at full pixel size, on a 17" lcd monitor, which has been correctly calibrated to display accurate black levels and white levels, as well as correct colours.

It is set to 1280x1024, which means, for a 3240x2175 cover, I will be looking at around one fifth of the cover at any one time.

Believe me, at that level of magnification - I WILL spot poor covers!! I often PM creators with things even they did not know about their covers/labels.

So rest assured - this is NOT a vote about any reduction in quality. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

guionbajo
post May 16 2006, 05:22 PM
Post #9

New to the scene
Group Icon

i vote YES..... of course......
but in a different seccion.....
some ORIGINAL scanned covers.... are used to make custom ones.....

if the result of this poll is positive..... we will have a scanned seccion???

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post May 16 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Guests

QUOTE(guionbajo @ May 16 2006, 06:22 PM) [snapback]1215[/snapback]
if the result of this poll is positive..... we will have a scanned seccion???

Yes (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

mickyb234
post May 16 2006, 06:03 PM
Post #11

New to the scene
Group Icon

Hi-res scans yes, but no low res scans please (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

farscape2
post May 16 2006, 06:20 PM
Post #12

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(filmboy @ May 16 2006, 07:14 PM) [snapback]1214[/snapback]
As part of the approval process, I look at each cover, at full pixel size, on a 17" lcd monitor, which has been correctly calibrated to display accurate black levels and white levels, as well as correct colours.

It is set to 1280x1024, which means, for a 3240x2175 cover, I will be looking at around one fifth of the cover at any one time.

Believe me, at that level of magnification - I WILL spot poor covers!! I often PM creators with things even they did not know about their covers/labels.

So rest assured - this is NOT a vote about any reduction in quality. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

Good to know (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

I sometimes see covers which look really good, but when examined closely, you can spot flaws, like they were created at say 33% zoom instead of going back and forth zooming from 33% for an overall view to up-to full-pixel view to set things right. So I'd say, go for it, HELL YEAH B)

+Quote Post

Exilim
post May 16 2006, 06:48 PM
Post #13

New to the scene
Group Icon

I voted no because I often find customs more attractive than the orginal.

And how about the legal consequences? I can imagine that this site could get in trouble more easily with scans than without.

+Quote Post

Vice-Nasty
post May 16 2006, 07:13 PM
Post #14

Valued Member
Group Icon

I "voted" yes.
Because like you guys are saying. Scans can be a good resource so material to a custom. And if the scan is good scanned and then managed on a computer it can look VEEEEERY good.

IPB
I spell english as it sounds.
My english sucks :( sorry

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post May 16 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE(Exilim @ May 16 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]1239[/snapback]
I voted no because I often find customs more attractive than the orginal.

And how about the legal consequences? I can imagine that this site could get in trouble more easily with scans than without.

We are a REPLACEMENT cover site. We enable people to replace legitimate covers. We do not endorse any illegal activity whatsoever.

+Quote Post

BigBalloon
post May 16 2006, 07:22 PM
Post #16

New to the scene
Group Icon

personally i voted yes , i do prefer customs better than scans but there always comes the time when u cant find a decent custom and have to rely on the original, and also they r a good resource for covers even labels

+Quote Post

alec2
post May 16 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #17

Wahey! I posted!
Group Icon

I think only Hi Res quality scans should be allowed and yes place them in a separate area. There is a lot of fine art out their which could be harvested by Hirescovers for members to customise.

Another bonus is:- Older and more rare covers are very hard to get hold of and cover sites that do have them tend to have them in poor quality. Go for it I say! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

coolhandlucas
post May 17 2006, 01:30 AM
Post #18

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

I voted 'yes', because there are times when a custom is not available or a good custom can't be found. I am dissappointed at the other sites that have these scans in a low quality or poor scan. So please set some guidelines and I believe that many will abide by them and you can have not only a large custom cover site, but also a large (hi-quality) scans site. Besides like Filmboy said: "If you don't want scans, don't look at them". Well put!

PS - Thanks for all of your hardwork for putting up such a great site and sticking with it over the past few months. It is much appreciated!

+Quote Post

nightmare007
post May 17 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #19

New to the scene
Group Icon

I voted yes as long as the scans are of good quality, so it doesn't waste space on the server.Some people like the original covers,as long as they are in a different section than the custom covers.

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post May 17 2006, 02:38 PM
Post #20

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I am not in favour of having the scanned images on the site because it will cause problems of the likes.... "his was OK to have accepted, but not mine and I think mine is better" scenario. <_<

I will go with what the voters want tho. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

IPB
It has been a long time. Still two years to go.
Have been away a long time and still time to do.....

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 12:15 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS