Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
sandt38
post Sep 16 2006, 03:55 AM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

Please critique my work!!!

What looks great? What would you have done differant? What the h*&^ makes Sandt38 think he can do this worth a flip? Whatever you need to say, say it so I can complete it and enter it into the gallery as a worthwhile addition. I know the size is off, but Glowphoto has the nice link thumbnail link function built in, and the origional is in the HIREScovers size constraints!!!

I am not done yet, but I am in the process. I plan on adding color coordinated Lucasfilms, THX, and 20th Century Fox lables, as well as the MPAA PG rating. I will also add stars, time, correct aspect ratio, copyright date, and my signature. Sorry, I am getting tired of looking at this screen (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) . I elected to use red on the cover due to Darth Maul's lightsaber color. I will also be doing the second and third installment covers, 2 in green (Yoda's Lightsaber color, and he will be the focus of it) and 3 in blue (Anakin's saber, and he will be the focal point). All will carry the same general principal of cover layout, lending each a unique look, yet allowing them to carry a nice uniform look.

Please bear in mind, I have had Photoshop for exactly 25 hours as of the posting of this thread, with no prior PS experiance. I am drawing off GIMP2 experiance. So if you see anything that looks like it could be done better, please explain how it can be done better (if it is from a software standpoint I mean).

(IMG:http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2006/09/15-2034516507T.png)

IPB
I'm not in "the click" so I won't waste my time trying to contribute anymore.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Sep 16 2006, 04:08 AM
Post #2

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Bunny Dojo

Okay, I suggest going all the way with the Fox template since you're using the spec box. At least your logos will be to correct size. Spine title is too large. synopsis/tagline could be smaller too.

+Quote Post

sandt38
post Sep 16 2006, 04:14 AM
Post #3

New to the scene
Group Icon

I was thinking my tagline was too big too. So shrink the tagline.

About the spline, I was worried my final printout with the outline letters would look soft if I went smaller, since the lines aren't particularly bold. Unfortunately I am very new to PS, and can't figure a safe way to manipulate the boldness of the lines. But if you think it will be strong enough, I'll shrink it down.

Here it is with the spline the same size, tagline squeezed, plot summary added, and all the other goodies I said I would do:

(IMG:http://img3.glowfoto.com/images/2006/09/15-2230319004T.png)

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Sep 16 2006, 07:43 AM
Post #4

Guests

QUOTE(sandt38 @ Sep 16 2006, 05:14 AM) [snapback]25852[/snapback]
ly I am very new to PS, and can't figure a safe way to manipulate the boldness of the lines.

The easiest way to increase boldness is to duplicate the layer. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_lulubelle_*
post Sep 16 2006, 08:52 AM
Post #5

Guests

I believe this has been uploaded to the gallery now anyway?

+Quote Post

tattam
post Sep 16 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #6

Valued Member
Group Icon

Nice try and good work just practice (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Sep 16 2006, 12:41 PM
Post #7

Guests

Are you still working on this or should I close the topic since you've uploaded it?

+Quote Post

sandt38
post Sep 16 2006, 12:50 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Skallywag® @ Sep 16 2006, 08:41 AM) [snapback]25903[/snapback]
Are you still working on this or should I close the topic since you've uploaded it?

It would be cool if I could get some more advice, but if you want to close it, you're the boss. My goal is to gather as much advice from the experts as I can, and hopefully become a worthwhile contributor, as well as a subscriber.

IPB

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Sep 16 2006, 01:02 PM
Post #9

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

QUOTE(sandt38 @ Sep 16 2006, 08:50 AM) [snapback]25905[/snapback]
It would be cool if I could get some more advice, but if you want to close it, you're the boss. My goal is to gather as much advice from the experts as I can, and hopefully become a worthwhile contributor, as well as a subscriber.

You gotta be more patient. its all about time zones. depending on when you post, alot of us are asleep. well i gave you advice. but you made your choice anyway.

+Quote Post

sauron
post Sep 16 2006, 01:26 PM
Post #10

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

i would remove the star wars but on the back, wouldn't use the same pic of darth maul ( think that's him anyway lol), would try and write some credits also im not sure on the amount of red on the cover.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Sep 16 2006, 07:31 PM
Post #11

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

thread open. more to do.

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Sep 16 2006, 07:46 PM
Post #12

Guests

Sandt38, if you still regard this as a work in progress, you should perhaps not have upped it to the gallery.

Is it finished or not?? Please let us know. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure1.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

sandt38
post Sep 16 2006, 07:54 PM
Post #13

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(filmboy @ Sep 16 2006, 03:46 PM) [snapback]25991[/snapback]
Sandt38, if you still regard this as a work in progress, you should perhaps not have upped it to the gallery.

Is it finished or not?? Please let us know. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/unsure1.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

I felt it was finished, and was not aware that once I uploaded it the thread closed. What I am looking for is some helpful advice on what those of you more adept at this then myself would do differantly, so I might use these ideas in future works... This was, after all, my very first cover and it was completed only 26 hours after I got PhotoShop, and with NO prior experiance.

Once I get started on something I rarely stop (I get impatient in my old age) long enough to recieve advice on the fly. If I can soak information in before I fly I can incorporate, or improve on, ideas already in my head.

I promise I will not screw this up again (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) .

IPB

+Quote Post

user name
post Sep 16 2006, 08:03 PM
Post #14

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Kernies Collection

Kernie82

QUOTE(filmboy @ Sep 16 2006, 03:43 AM) [snapback]25861[/snapback]
The easiest way to increase boldness is to duplicate the layer. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

Just out of curiosity how does duplicating make it bolder? I've always wondered how to make something bolder that I may not have created from scratch..

IPB
But what do I know?

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Sep 17 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #15

Guests

QUOTE(user name @ Sep 16 2006, 09:03 PM) [snapback]25995[/snapback]
Just out of curiosity how does duplicating make it bolder? I've always wondered how to make something bolder that I may not have created from scratch..

If a layer has a level of tranparency or some kind of gradient fade then duplicating the layer over the top naturally increases it's opacity therefore making the layer content appear bolder.

Sandt38,

some observations; whilst it is a bold move to alter the star wars logo, it is such a recognised brand that I personally wouldn't alter to the extent you have on the front. Your synopsis is very large usually an 8 - 10pt synop is sufficient, in this case it looks like you have used a big font to fill space. You spine logo is so big that the actual film title is dwarfed by it. Including your name on your work is acceptable but hide is somewhere discreet, many people will avoid using such obviously branded work. The spec box and logo's you have used are also enormous.

A good place to start would be by downloading a studio template from the downloads section of this site, which will help you get a feel for the positioning and style of information which is included on covers.

Hope this helps, keep it up. Everything I've noted happens to nearly everyones first cover attempt.

Be patient there's a lot of talent and helpfulpful members here at hires who try their best to offer advice.

+Quote Post

sandt38
post Sep 17 2006, 01:55 PM
Post #16

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Skallywag® @ Sep 17 2006, 03:01 AM) [snapback]26038[/snapback]
If a layer has a level of tranparency or some kind of gradient fade then duplicating the layer over the top naturally increases it's opacity therefore making the layer content appear bolder.

Sandt38,

some observations; whilst it is a bold move to alter the star wars logo, it is such a recognised brand that I personally wouldn't alter to the extent you have on the front. Your synopsis is very large usually an 8 - 10pt synop is sufficient, in this case it looks like you have used a big font to fill space. You spine logo is so big that the actual film title is dwarfed by it. Including your name on your work is acceptable but hide is somewhere discreet, many people will avoid using such obviously branded work. The spec box and logo's you have used are also enormous.

A good place to start would be by downloading a studio template from the downloads section of this site, which will help you get a feel for the positioning and style of information which is included on covers.

Hope this helps, keep it up. Everything I've noted happens to nearly everyones first cover attempt.

Be patient there's a lot of talent and helpfulpful members here at hires who try their best to offer advice.

Exactly the advice I was looking for, thanks!!!

I wasn't sure anything smaller on the synopsis would print out legible, so I went with 12. But if 8-10 is common that would be great. I actually wanted to include more then I did, so this advice will play a huge part in future work.

I actually stole the spec box, and altered the innards from an actual scan I did that offered the best contrast. I never changed the size, and the printout looks almost exactly the same size as the origional scan, so I must ask roughly how large is acceptable?

I will be sure to download the template. I am sure that will offer tremendous assistance in a good design.

Thanks!

IPB

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Sep 17 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #17

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

QUOTE(sandt38 @ Sep 17 2006, 09:55 AM) [snapback]26204[/snapback]
Exactly the advice I was looking for, thanks!!!

you must have wanted to hear it from Skally cause those the very same things i suggested you address several posts ago! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Sep 17 2006, 02:05 PM
Post #18

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(Irrob @ Sep 17 2006, 03:59 PM) [snapback]26205[/snapback]
you must have wanted to hear it from Skally cause those the very same things i suggested you address several posts ago! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

Well Skally is an Exclusive designer and ur just a lowly master irrob... so i wont comment at all (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Sep 17 2006, 02:16 PM
Post #19

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

right thats gotta be it (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

+Quote Post

sandt38
post Sep 17 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #20

New to the scene
Group Icon

I shrank the tagline like you suggested, but apparently not enough. "Could be smaller" is what you suggested, and it is what I did.

The spline, I asked but got no responce.

Skallywag offered in-depth explination of all the questions I asked you directly in a PM when this was closed that you never replied to. No offense, but Skallywag's responce was considerably more precise and understandable to a noob, complete with an explination of how to make the spline text more bold.

IPB

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 3rd December 2016 - 09:37 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS