Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Kernie
post Nov 10 2018, 02:16 AM
Post #1

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Cover Of The Month

To everyone who's been waiting so patiently (and some of you not-so-patiently), I'm extremely happy (and relieved) to finally have this to share...

Attached File  avengers_iw_wip_001_watermark.jpg ( 400.78K ) Number of downloads: 9

[Sorry for the checkerboard watermarks, just trying to prevent dishonest folks from re-using these for their own nefarious purposes]

Rather than using the WIP thread to get feedback, I decided to wait and post something that was nearly complete. I had a very specific vision for this cover and wanted to try to see it through without second-guessing everything with WIP suggestions. Instead, I'm using WIP to show off some of the techniques that I ended up using.

With 28 characters (all of whom appear in the film in major roles, cameos, or post-credit scenes), this design was a hell of a Rubix cube that not only required recoloring every single character (more on that in a bit), but also had to adhere to a number of self-imposed rules that I set...

Here are some of the rules that I tried to follow when arranging all of the characters...

- The leads of the respective franchises (Cap, Iron Man, Thor, Star-Lord, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange) should be as close to center as possible
- Masked characters should be wearing masks (Iron Man, Spider-Man, War Machine, Black Panther). Exceptions for Star-Lord (only uses occasionally) and Cap (never wears mask in movie)
- Characters with the ability to fly should be flying (leaving room on ground for non-flying characters)
- The Guardians of the Galaxy should be separated to create a sense of "crossover" with the regular Avengers
- Iron Man and War Machine should be separated (similar armor designs)
- Black Panther characters should be separated (again, for the purposes of "crossover")
- Dr. Strange and Scarlet Witch should be separated (magic users)
- Vision and Scarlet Witch should be separated (couple) and placement should be symmetrical
- Hulk and Gamora should be separated (green skin)
- Iron Man, Spider-Man, Scarlet Witch, and Okoye should be separated (red color)
- Falcon and War Machine placement should be separated and symmetrical (Gray armored sidekicks with flying ability)
- Avoid putting too many characters with similar color schemes next to each other so that blobs of "red" or "green" don't start to appear

Not only was following these guidelines extremely difficult, but then it was a challenge to find the right type of images that would best represent each character and work together to create the ultimate hero "group shot." Creating a scene in which all characters are believably inhabiting the same physical space was very tough, as opposed to a montage style where size and position are far more flexible.

Once I found the right images, the original coloring of most characters simply wouldn't work, so I recolored every character using Gradient Maps down to the smallest details. Here are just a few samples of the recoloring work (again, sorry for the watermarks).
Attached File  wip_captain_america.jpg ( 187K ) Number of downloads: 3

Attached File  wip_winter_soldier.jpg ( 158.3K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  wip_scarlet_witch_vision.jpg ( 109.89K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  wip_wong_shuri.jpg ( 133.67K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  wip_loki.jpg ( 86.67K ) Number of downloads: 1

The other challenge was making this cover into an appropriate companion piece for my previous Avengers and Avengers: Age of Ultron designs. I think this makes a very nice triptych! (I'm already sweating at the notion of doing this all again for Avengers 4)
Attached File  avengers_trilogy.jpg ( 177.71K ) Number of downloads: 4

And for everyone screaming, "Where's THANOS?! He's essentially the main character!!" Yes, yes, I know... but the movie is called "Avengers" and I wanted the cover to be the Avengers (and allies). Rest assured, Thanos, the Black Order, the Outriders, and Chitauri will hopefully all appear on the back cover somehow... but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I also intend for this keyart to be used in my Shield Archive template, my MCU template, and of course, my Comic Book Collection template (in fact, I intend to rework the previous Avengers covers in my Comic Collection template to make all three films a bit more consistent).

Alright, I think I've rambled on about my design for long enough. My apologies, but many, many hours went into this, so I have a lot to say. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

I'm not saying it's perfect, but I'm supremely proud of my work on this one. I hope this design was worth the wait (and I hope everyone understands why it took so long). Thanks for your interest! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

This post has been edited by Kernie: Nov 26 2018, 06:14 AM

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       batmantitan, Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Darksaber, jay5, Jazzy, M0vieM0nster, MakinaGraphics!, Matush, merdec, MikeConnelly, sauron, sebafoonk, Speedz0r, s_t_a_l_k_e_r, VincentLupo, WilderMike

VincentLupo
post Nov 10 2018, 02:36 AM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Phenomenal work! Well worth the wait. Can't wait to see what you do for the back.

I really wish I was as good at articulating thoughts like Curt below.

This post has been edited by VincentLupo: Nov 10 2018, 02:42 AM

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To VincentLupo For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, Matush, Speedz0r

ctaulbee
post Nov 10 2018, 02:36 AM
Post #3

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

I'm at a loss for words (Baz will have a comment on that I'm sure) it's more than just impressive, more like a revelation.

I'm always in awe at the level of detail you bring to your works, this is kind of a showcase of all that you do and do so well.

I was expecting it to be similar to the previous covers but you have really made something special here, not just with this one which is exceptional but the whole set is amazing.

The titles are awesome of course and everything else is spot on IMHO, I just love the harmony of it all.

Reading your post was a joy, I really like the detailed explanations you give for why you do things and the images too that illustrate your words.

I know that takes a fair amount of time and effort to do, so I want to acknowledge that and thank you for the time you spent doing the whole presentation and know it was not wasted, not on me at least.

I know the rest will be just as exciting as this, that is what makes the wait worth it in the end.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif)

IPB

To View my covers click the spine image, if you download my work please leave me a comment, thanks.

+Quote Post

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Darksaber, Kernie, Matush, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Darksaber
post Nov 10 2018, 07:31 AM
Post #4

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Subscriber

Really amazed at the extent you've gone to, the recolouring is exceptional

I'm in awe (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_surprised.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_question.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blowkiss.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You To Darksaber For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Kernie, Matush, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

JollyRoger
post Nov 10 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #5

Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Million Dollar Baby by Arkflip

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Tim Gengler

This is why people simply love your work, Andrew.
Such attention to detail! Wow! I really enjoyed the 'before' and 'after' shots of the characters; really goes to show the amount of work that went into this - and this BEFORE you even began the big puzzle of putting all the characters into the same scene. Amazing.

You, Sir, is an exceptional artist! My hat's off to you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_question.gif)

This post has been edited by JollyRoger: Nov 10 2018, 09:09 AM

IPB
A designer knows he has achieved perfection - not when there's nothing left to add - but when there's nothing left to take away

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You To JollyRoger For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Darksaber, kalell75, Kernie, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

cas
post Nov 10 2018, 09:45 AM
Post #6

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Group: Subscriber

holy sh1t that look amazing out Phenomenal work! wowowwo wowwowowowowowow

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To cas For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Nov 10 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #7

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

QUOTE (ctaulbee @ Nov 10 2018, 03:36 AM) *
I'm at a loss for words (Baz will have a comment on that I'm sure)

Yes, I do. You typed 192 words after that statement (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol.gif) And you are never lost for words.... ever.

But, back to the cover. Wow. This is how you do it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) I can personally appreciate the time it must have taken to build this masterpiece, as I too coloured and detailed each character. And there are a lot! But this just puts my effort to shame!! It really is amazing work, for so many different reasons (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) And I loved reading your explanation for all of the individual details. It sounds like you spent as much time thinking on the design, as you did creating it. I can already see this being COTY 2018.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       beric3236a, ctaulbee, Darksaber, JollyRoger, kalell75, Kernie, sauron, VincentLupo

garsted
post Nov 10 2018, 09:17 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

Words cannot describe how great this cover is! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To garsted For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Kernie, VincentLupo

Jazzy
post Nov 10 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #9

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Wow! Just Wow!

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Jazzy For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, VincentLupo

Kernie
post Nov 11 2018, 02:18 AM
Post #10

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Cover Of The Month

Thank you very much to everyone who left a comment above! I can't express how much it means to me to read such wonderful compliments! I'm so glad that you like the design... it certainly took me long enough to get around to it and I'm glad it appears to have been worth the wait. It's a huge burst of encouragement to keep going and start on the back design for the villains!

Thanks again! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Darksaber, Jazzy, JollyRoger, s_t_a_l_k_e_r, VincentLupo

Speedz0r
post Nov 11 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #11

Extinct
Group Icon

xshoty & Kernie

Amazing work, especially on the re-coloring. I know it must be hard fitting all these characters together and I know you said this was more of a showcase then WIP, but I still have to suggestions I want to mention (even tho you probably already have tried "everything" and this is what looked best). The first thing is that the two characters on the right end are quite bigger then the two characters on the left end site, especially Cobie. The second is a couple of poses that doesn't look so good in my opinion and that is Black Panther (because you can't see his left foot, so it looks like he has a very short upper body) and the guy with the long hair and machine gun on the left for Black Panther kinda looks like a dwarf (because you can't really see enough of his body and his pants is a different color then the body so can be hard to identify that it's his foot sticking out). These are very minor things tho and only my two cents, but just thought I should mention it.

IPB

My YT Gaming Channel
Please keep my covers on this site and this site only!

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Speedz0r For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, JollyRoger, Kernie, VincentLupo

Kernie
post Nov 11 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #12

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Cover Of The Month

Thanks for the suggestions but I’m happy with this arrangement as is and don’t intend to make any changes. Like I said earlier, this design is like a Rubix Cube... changing one thing begins to affect other things.

I don’t see the problems you’re seeing... Panther’s hidden leg goes behind Rocket and behind the hill of rubble. His visible leg stretches in front of the rubble. It seems fine to me.

Winter Soldier is crouched down and his bent leg is visible enough to suggest his pose, in my opinion.

Also keep in mind that the “SHIELD Tech Border” from my previous covers isn’t on yet, which reduces the empty space around the edges and limits how much flexibility I have in moving things around. Heimdall and Maria Hill are that small in order to squeeze them inside the border. The fact that Nebula, Loki, and M’Baku are a bit bigger on the opposite side is fine with me.

I like that the arrangement isn’t perfectly symmetrical. Too much symmetry and the design can start to feel less natural.

Thanks again for the thoughts, but unfortunately this design is final. (I’ve also already sent it off to be printed on 27” x 40” stretched canvas for my home office wall, so I really don’t want to make any changes now!) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, Speedz0r, s_t_a_l_k_e_r, VincentLupo

Speedz0r
post Nov 11 2018, 05:39 PM
Post #13

Extinct
Group Icon

xshoty & Kernie

No problem buddy, just keep on doing your thing, it turns out stunningly every time either way (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

IPB

My YT Gaming Channel
Please keep my covers on this site and this site only!

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Speedz0r For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, sauron, VincentLupo

RRJR84
post Nov 11 2018, 11:50 PM
Post #14

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Avengers - Kernie

Kernie82

simply amazing, i didnt realize how much could be done with off colored characters that's amazing, looking forward to the final product

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To RRJR84 For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Arkflip
post Nov 12 2018, 11:01 AM
Post #15

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

I'm speechless!! Just stunning! Stunning!!!
I honestly cannot wait to see this beauty finished with your MCU template! I'm gonna print this one for sure!

Splendid work my friend!

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills
and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To Arkflip For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, JollyRoger, Kernie, sauron, VincentLupo

sauron
post Nov 12 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #16

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

About time! haha just kidding...

The amount of time and effort you put into your covers is what makes you the #1 designer here! I'm always in awe of your work and just wish I could spend as much time on my covers. The colouring work is just amazing!

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To sauron For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, JollyRoger, Kernie, VincentLupo

Kernie
post Nov 21 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #17

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Cover Of The Month

Here's an update on what I'm putting together for the back... Thanos, the Black Order, and his army of Chitauri footsoldiers and Outriders!
Attached File  avengers_iw_villains_001.jpg ( 687.85K ) Number of downloads: 1

Here's a look at some of the Photoshop character work and recoloring...

Attached File  wip_thanos.jpg ( 237.87K ) Number of downloads: 1

Attached File  wip_corvus_ebony.jpg ( 209.22K ) Number of downloads: 0

Attached File  wip_proxima_cull.jpg ( 198.75K ) Number of downloads: 0

For the Chitauri (and Outriders, not pictured), I cut out pictures of the Hot Toys Chitauri Footsoldier and Commander figures...

Attached File  wip_chitauri.jpg ( 115.62K ) Number of downloads: 1

To make the army, I used the Trapcode Particular plug-in in Adobe After Effects to make each Chitauri soldier into a particle, then duplicated those particles in a confined area to create a randomized crowd. I rendered out a frame from After Effects and inserted it into Photoshop. I use this technique a lot to quickly create a large mass of the same type of image. Not only does this work for crowds, but it can be applied to sparks, snowflakes, leaves, birds, bats, etc.

Attached File  wip_chitauri_army.jpg ( 135.56K ) Number of downloads: 0

I also made my own version of Thanos' circular "Q-Ship," since I couldn't find an actual hi-res image of the ship from this angle. I put it together from stock resources of "wheel space stations" like the ones seen in 2001: A Space Odyssey. I know it's not EXACTLY like the one from the movie, but I think it captures the essence of it well enough.

Attached File  wip_q_ship.jpg ( 110.72K ) Number of downloads: 1

I'm still hoping to add Chitauri Chariots and Leviathans flying in the sky (the keyart is a bit empty on the left and right sides of the Q-Ship). Can't seem to find good, clear images of the Leviathans from the type of angle I want... I may have to try screen-grabbing from the movie if I have to.

This keyart will be used in both the SHIELD Archive template and my MCU template, so it might be slightly modified when I finally insert it into the respective templates.

I hope you enjoyed this update... more to come... and Happy Thanksgiving! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Darksaber, M0vieM0nster, Matush, RRJR84, sauron, Speedz0r, s_t_a_l_k_e_r, VincentLupo, WilderMike

ctaulbee
post Nov 21 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #18

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Awesome update Kernie, I knew it would be mind blowing and it certainly is.

Happy Thanksgiving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

IPB

To View my covers click the spine image, if you download my work please leave me a comment, thanks.

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Kernie, M0vieM0nster, VincentLupo

M0vieM0nster
post Nov 21 2018, 08:50 PM
Post #19

Cover Designer
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

It's going to be awesome that's for sure Andrew (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To M0vieM0nster For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Kernie, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Nov 21 2018, 08:56 PM
Post #20

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

Wow. That really is stunning work. Happy thanksgiving Andrew!

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Kernie, VincentLupo

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · W.I.P · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 16th December 2018 - 06:32 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS