Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
chefjoe
post Jul 30 2006, 05:37 PM
Post #1

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

My Favorite Cover Designer:
umi & nini

First off, let me say some of u will not like or even understand this. Can't say I like it myself, but feel I need to clear the air. I am an amature cover maker, a contributer if u will. rescently I made the mistake of asking the designers to consider me for that group. My intent was not to anger those designers, but I feel I must have. Neddless to say my request was turned down, and that's ok, actually I've only been at it seriously for about 3 months. I felt I had an outside chance because in that time I've had over 100 items approved for upload into the gallery, which is to me a great and honorable achievement givin all the talent out there. I simply felt that with that in mind, surely I was good enough for the lowest level of designer status. I am a hobbiest, I don't work professionally with or on computers, as I work with food for a living.

However, with all that said, my work can't be bad or else it wouldn't be posted. Otherwise anyone could place anything to a cover(as long as its Hires) and get it posted. I'm sure that's not the case. I visit most sections of the site (no arcade, not a gamer) and see the work, the stolen work, the use of others work, however changed, but yet it gets posted, some of them made contributers, god forbid if any are made designers, I haven't seen that yet. I have noted that many designers have very few posts, as well as items in the gallery. So, I wonder. Yes my work isn't near as good in most cases, but in some...well that's where opinions come in.

To try and close this, some of our designers are truely great. some are not, while some even are just good.
My only point there is that others should not be judged by your abilities, but by there own as well as the sites.
Since my request, I have felt as though I'm being picked upon, rather than helped, i've even read where the competition entries are mostly crap. That truely saddened me, but I understand the need for higher ego's in the artistic community, as I work in one. one individual hasn' spoken to me since I admitted to being on medication, well if I must explain, I am "By-Polar", and will always joke about my Meds, as it really is funny.

I guess I'll simply finish by saying I'm sorry, most people don't understand me nor want to so please don't "blacklist me" for this, like I said, I needed to clear the air, if for nothing else, for myself. I'm no longer interested in the desiger group, as I want this to remain fun. As for my competition entry, Bazzah, please remove it, I don't want anyone knowing it came in last.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jul 30 2006, 06:26 PM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Hiya Chef...

this response is probably more appropriate for a PM but seeing as how you posted your here i reckon i should answer you here as well.

I voted No, not yet on your application for artist status... and I will try and explain why... what motivated me to say no.

An artist to me should always try and go beyond poster art... give it his/her own approach... you cant slap a poster on the front add some images on the back and go waheyy Im an artist... it takes more than that... you have to give it a bit of yourself... you have to pay attention to details... you have to reach a certain level of skill to put a blunt point to it...
You are extremely productive... in my opinion you are too productive as i think it hampers your overall quality... you don't take the time to find out how to do stuff...or atleast thats the impression i got, right or wrong but thats it... straight up. You are getting better... much better... and Im sure you will aquire that green little animated gif thingie under your name in time... your last 2 covers has shown an improvement... take your time and listen to the advice given to you... if you don't know how to do it...ask! And you will get answers and in the mean time others will also learn from your questions.... that they perhaps dont dare ask as they are afraid of getting ignored or laughed at. Some of the artists and/or residents here are always willing to help... look at Skally and his little classroom... slow down... take the time... learn... evolve... and you're there.

Now as for somebody not talking to you... ignore them... its their loss... if somebody ignores you because you told them u were on meds... are they even worth the effort to care about then??

+Quote Post

Guest_lulubelle_*
post Jul 30 2006, 06:31 PM
Post #3

Guests

Cheffy, you have to learn not to take things like this to heart, you say you enjoy it and want to keep it fun... then make it that...fun. Your covers are getting better everytime you do one, but I have noticed that you don't always take peoples advice, and this is where you can help yourself get better.

There are always egos, they will be everywhere you go.

I am afraid you are right about any covers being accepted, it pretty much is because it they are hires and yes it will be accepted even if its bad as long as it sticks to the criteria needed because FB does not take his personal opinion into his decisions, which is a good thing.

Where have you been picked on? and where has it been said that the competition entries are mostly crap? I am sure that the mods would be interested to know this information.

People will always critique your covers, some will like them some won't.... just the other day someone said that my cover was "crap"... I asked for the thread to be deleted not because of my cover but of the way it was said and I didn't want anyone else drawn into the kind of discussion that it was beginning to become.

You can't take it to heart. Just enjoy yourself, thats what I do...I don't care if anyone likes them, but I do appreciate helpful comments and not negative ones.

To be honest with you cheffy I do think that you probably don't take enough time over your covers and could benefit from slowing down and finishing one bit before moving onto the next... this is my own opinion. Your covers are good enough for contributor but I do not feel good enough for artist as I feel you need to take more time over the details and design, Please do not take this as a personal attack...this is about "covers".

When you are competing with people like Powers, Bazzah its hard to feel "good".

As for people ignoring you...who cares!? Do you know them personally? If they truly ignored you because you said you were on meds... then it just shows what sort of person they are.

If you need to talk cheffy, you have my msn...and I am on there... just let me know... I will help you as much as I can.

+Quote Post

corky
post Jul 30 2006, 06:44 PM
Post #4

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

... and where has it been said that the competition entries are mostly crap?
I read the remark that Chefjoe mentions, but it and the comment that Chef replied with were removed.

If you need to talk cheffy, you have my msn...and I am on there... just let me know... I will help you as much as I can.

I can vouch for her Chef, am always annoying her with daft questions, on how to do this or that, in fact I think I annoy quite a few people on here. As for the person who's ignoring you this is just MY opinion "Fcuk them", you don't need them, they were never your friend in the first place.

About your covers, they are good, but they are not at this moment in time ready to be considered artist material, given time and knowledge you will get that elusive badge. Listen to what others say, try it out, it only takes time.

As for your bi-polarness... most folks I know are bi-sexual so it makes a pleasant change to see something else after the bi, bit, am hoping your not into polar bears (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jul 30 2006, 06:46 PM
Post #5

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

What they said. Embrace criticism. It'll make you even better. Took me almost a year to get da skillz right.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jul 30 2006, 06:47 PM
Post #6

Guests

Chefjoe,

I'm very sorry to hear you feel rejected since applying for a higher status, unfortunatly I was not able to vote on this occasion, since "someone" forgot to give the "exclusive" member group the rights to see the thread (eh Baz (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif) )

However if I had voted then in this instance I would have voted not just yet, on the basis of all the things noted by my peers above.

It's nice to see developing artists contributing to the site and it's also nice to be able to help them get there, thats why I only post here at Hires and like to offer help where I can.

If you visit some of the other sites available you'll really learn the meaning of ego and eliteist. It was in fact the collective decision of all the master designers and staff that contribute to this site to create a promotion system to provide people something to aim for (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

To sum it up don't loose heart your getting there, we all started just like you, pay attention to those who have already been through this process so than can help you progress. And it doesn't become less fun, in fact as you progress through the ranks we all take the piss out of each other every day.

I bet your a better cook than any of us (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) And I'll consider myself to have some talent when a distributor comes a knocking asking me to make covers for them professionally (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) Thats why I still post my work from the first idea through every stage of development in the WIP section so I can get better and help others.

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jul 30 2006, 08:12 PM
Post #7

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Chef, I'm really sorry you feel this way. If someone is ignoring you somehow, forget about them. Who needs that kind of stress, worrying about BS like that in this world. Life is too short Chef. To he[[ with them.
I think it's just a matter of time (a short time) for you to acheive artist/designer status. I myself have seen a great improvement in your work in the short time I've been here, and I don't think you could be a better supporter to the site.
Like the others have said...It's taking more time with the covers that will help the most (IMHO). I find that I do the same thing sometimes...in a rush to get it done. Lately I've been putting off posting my covers for a day or so after I'm done. Just getting away from the cover for a day or two, then going back to it seems to make a big difference. And you know, after going back to look at it again, something always catches my eye...something that needs to be changed or could be improved. The W.I.P. section has been a great help also...it's amazing what another set of eyes can see sometimes.
And just so you know, I also saw the comment about the other covers being crap...couldn't believe it when I did see it...but I did see it. I don't care how good a person designs things, or how good they think they design things, that kind of talk is better left to other Cover sites...not here.
When I see the quality of some of the work here...it blows my mind...makes everyone occasionally think their stuff is crap, but only because some stuff is just so brilliant! Everybody's designs are different, and we need that here. It wouldn't be very good if everyone made a cover that was almost the same. What's the point in that?
Bottom line is keep working at it Chef...your status will change soon...I'm sure.
And Chef, if there's anything I can do to help...just cook something good and we'll talk!!
Ok I better shut up now (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif)

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jul 30 2006, 08:30 PM
Post #8

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

The contest covers were mostly crap? Thats harsh and totally not true. Thats one persons rant/opinion and in no way reflects everyone's sentiment.

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Jul 30 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

Thanks for understanding. I do will, and will always listen to you guys for tips and whatnot. Yes I do and probably always work on too much at once, I do nothing else when not working, yeah I know get a life right. ha! too late for me.. But I'll keep pluggin, glan no one got offended. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) My brain works entirely stupid, then I take my pills, and feel much better (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

+Quote Post

Myers
post Jul 30 2006, 11:26 PM
Post #10

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Secret Garden By Dweez

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jul 30 2006, 07:26 PM) [snapback]16121[/snapback]
Hiya Chef...

this response is probably more appropriate for a PM but seeing as how you posted your here i reckon i should answer you here as well.

I voted No, not yet on your application for artist status... and I will try and explain why... what motivated me to say no.

An artist to me should always try and go beyond poster art... give it his/her own approach... you cant slap a poster on the front add some images on the back and go waheyy Im an artist... it takes more than that... you have to give it a bit of yourself... you have to pay attention to details... you have to reach a certain level of skill to put a blunt point to it...
You are extremely productive... in my opinion you are too productive as i think it hampers your overall quality... you don't take the time to find out how to do stuff...or atleast thats the impression i got, right or wrong but thats it... straight up. You are getting better... much better... and Im sure you will aquire that green little animated gif thingie under your name in time... your last 2 covers has shown an improvement... take your time and listen to the advice given to you... if you don't know how to do it...ask! And you will get answers and in the mean time others will also learn from your questions.... that they perhaps dont dare ask as they are afraid of getting ignored or laughed at. Some of the artists and/or residents here are always willing to help... look at Skally and his little classroom... slow down... take the time... learn... evolve... and you're there.

Now as for somebody not talking to you... ignore them... its their loss... if somebody ignores you because you told them u were on meds... are they even worth the effort to care about then??

I was just about to say the same thing but i couldn't have put it better than you RV, Just hang in there chef and listen to the advice you will get there m8 i am sure of it.

IPB
" I don't feel that I need to explain my art to you, Warren. "

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Jul 31 2006, 01:42 AM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I will say one thing,this is just what i've observed personally. The better designers seem to get more attention in the WIP section. Which is kind of ironic since they usually need the least ammount of help. Sometimes i feel that us little guys do kinda get overlooked. I haven't said anything because i didn't want to be labeled a complainer. It dosen't really upset me but it discourages use of the WIP section if i think no one will notice.

And chef for the record i don't think i've seen bad work from you. Atleast compared to my own junk.(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jul 31 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #12

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bunny Dojo

JolietJake, The WIP is highly active. chefjoe gets alot of feedback on his covers. You might be experiencing small feedback because you do labels. Thats a bad deal for you as covers get more attention. On a personal note, I rarely comment on covers when the movie is still in theaters, or not even out yet. Whew, I'm exhausted.

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jul 31 2006, 02:59 AM
Post #13

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I've had some covers with lots of feedback and some with very little. I think it depends a lot on the movie too. Personally, if I don't know the movie, I tend not to comment much. I guess I should pay more attention to the great labels being made here too, but I guess its because I don't use them myself. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Jul 31 2006, 04:58 AM
Post #14

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

That is true i do mostly labels. I try to pick popular movies with any thing i do. I figure more people will be interested and sue them than if its some old obscure movie.

And its funny that you say that bbb because i use labels more than covers. I use a big binder for most stuff(no space left for shelves). Sometimes i wonder if this is a hobby or obsession.(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)

QUOTE(Irrob @ Jul 31 2006, 02:15 AM) [snapback]16189[/snapback]
JolietJake, The WIP is highly active. chefjoe gets alot of feedback on his covers. You might be experiencing small feedback because you do labels. Thats a bad deal for you as covers get more attention. On a personal note, I rarely comment on covers when the movie is still in theaters, or not even out yet. Whew, I'm exhausted.

I didn't mean to sound to harsh,i apreciate any and all feedback i get. Maybe its just jealousy of the better talent around here. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jul 31 2006, 05:14 AM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(JolietJake @ Jul 31 2006, 01:58 AM) [snapback]16212[/snapback]
That is true i do mostly labels. I try to pick popular movies with any thing i do. I figure more people will be interested and sue them than if its some old obscure movie.

And its funny that you say that bbb because i use labels more than covers. I use a big binder for most stuff(no space left for shelves). Sometimes i wonder if this is a hobby or obsession.(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/lol.gif)
I didn't mean to sound to harsh,i apreciate any and all feedback i get. Maybe its just jealousy of the better talent around here. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

Yeah its funny like that Joilet. I really hate having a bad retail cover, but I don't really care about the labels...go figure. I just use a sharpie (lightning strike comes in here) A lot of people don't like just writing on them with sharpies but it doesn't matter to me much.
I try to do only movies I have, or older one's I don't have (yet). I just find that so many people already do the newer ones.
I might be looking for one of those binders soon too...running out of shelf space for the DVD's! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_lulubelle_*
post Jul 31 2006, 06:21 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE(Irrob @ Jul 31 2006, 03:15 AM) [snapback]16189[/snapback]

go sit down irrob, your fingers aren't use to that pace (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

anyway.. WIP.... I saw cheffy's comment on that before about having 200 views and only a certain amount of comments.

You can guarantee that when you want help you don't get it (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif) sometimes there isn't anything to say, so I don't post, but I do try and give my two penneth worth when I can, for what its worth. And I agree that I prefer commenting on films that I have seen, as I can then understand the relevance of the cover to the film.

WIP is fickle.. you just have to bear with it (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) but help is there if you want it, and you have to be prepared to listen to the criticism, as long as it is positive... and you also have to remember that some of those views might be "guests" that don't and can't comment.

The "people who design covers/label" community on this site is actually quite small despite the sites big member count... and it's those people that will usually comment in WIP, not the 7000+ other members.

I find WIP really helpful, as BBB said...sometimes you are just too close to the cover and you can't see what a fresh set of eyes could.

Now... I think we need a group hug.... (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif)

(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Myers
post Jul 31 2006, 09:20 AM
Post #17

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Secret Garden By Dweez

Speaking as a relative beginner at all of this (compared to some) I find the WIP section a real help i appreciate all comments good or bad as long as it's constructive i really do not mind. I agree some people are more willing to help out in WIP but thats just the way it goes. It took a lot for me to post my first effort in WIP never mind anywhere else ( that lulubelle can be harsh (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) JOKE) maybe thats a confidence thing no one likes to receive bad press but it all helps in the long run as you improve your skills (when i get some i will let you know (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif) JOKE) I do know one thing for sure if it wasnt for some of the people on here i would have given this stuff up shortly after i started my efforts really were that bad (some still are (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif) ) so i listened and took note. So cheers all. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

Myers
post Jul 31 2006, 09:41 AM
Post #19

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Secret Garden By Dweez

QUOTE(lulubelle @ Jul 31 2006, 10:27 AM) [snapback]16232[/snapback]

(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif) All joking aside lulubelle just wanted to point out how valuable the WIP section is to some of us and how much it is appreciated the time some people take to point out my glaring mistakes you always seem to pick up on the points that i miss ((IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) the eyes are going ) or offer constructive criticism as to how i might change something and you are usually correct (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif) you do have a keen eye for detail. All in all we are all on a learning curve some more so than others but the right help makes it slightly easier to bear. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 3rd December 2016 - 04:39 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS