Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
brassstaxxx
post Jul 2 2006, 10:11 PM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Members

Take a look at these three covers I did this morning. I've only been using photoshop for about a month because I had to lie to get a job, and then learn it. I work doing Product Development) and they love me so far (in case your wondering!). I have been using this site 4 a while and because of the switch I decided to try to earn my membership first, and if I get a free membership, I think as I grow and improve my skilz I will be a great asset to this site.

Hope Yall Like
Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jul 3 2006, 09:56 AM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Hiya Brassstaxxx

Please see the WIP forum for my comments on your first Click cover.
On the second Click cover, the one in the middle above, there as some "leftovers" in the Adam Sandler image on the front. You can see remains of the background from where you got Adam around his hand and elbow, that needs to be cleaned up somewhat.
On the back there is the barcode (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) but thats as I said in WIP a pet peeve of mine so... I like the way you put the screenshots on this one a lot better than the one u have in WIP. Always try to keep them grouped... thats a good rule of thumb unless the background used offers other solutions.
Credits is missing and i'd like to see a close up of the small text you have there to see if its readable, and the logos are not evenly spaced out.

The title on the spine is non-symmetric and the image of Adam Sandler should be rotated 90 degrees so his head is up.

The front of your cars cover looks nice... some stuff hav to be rotated on the spine, Id remove the Disney/Pixar under the disney dvd logo as well.
The rear is just way too busy... the color on the font makes the text impossible to read... also i think you should remove the CARS text on the top. I do like the frames you've used for the screenies...

All in all... You have potential and if you post your work in the WIP section Im sure that you will get that contributor status eventually... and if your PS skills improve even more u might even get a raise (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) congrats on the new job btw and I look forward to seeing more of your work in WIP.

Cheers

RV

+Quote Post

corky
post Jul 3 2006, 10:37 AM
Post #3

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

I agree with everything that RV has mentioned, but you are doing extremely well. Keep going and please do make use of the WIP section, were all here to help you, no-body will make you feel stupid or silly regardless how stupid or silly you might think your question is. Skallywag has started a tutorial section aswell, that you might find useful as it develops.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jul 3 2006, 10:48 AM
Post #4

YES YES YES
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Bunny Dojo

you're close to being a contributer. I'd like to see you get better in overall layout and font choices. That will come if you're open to suggestions.

+Quote Post

boneapart
post Jul 3 2006, 12:31 PM
Post #5

boneapart
Group Icon

I agree with what RV has stated, plus you need to work on your layouts, you seem to always make your spine title too large and you seem to choose some text colours that kind of clash with the cover... Just keep at it and eventually everything will fall into place...

+Quote Post

donger
post Jul 3 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #6

Label Guru
Group Icon

I'm sure there are some good covers in you but these need work. Most of the issues have been pointed out already so I'll let the others speak for me. Best thing to do is study the work of others. Find out what works and what doesn't. Look at retail covers and by all means post in the WIP section to get tips and hints from the talented folk here.

+Quote Post

brassstaxxx
post Jul 4 2006, 06:03 AM
Post #7

New to the scene
Group Icon

Hey guys I do apprecieate the help, I'll make some changes and re-post. Again, thanks for all of your help and advice so far!!

+Quote Post

Chris4564
post Jul 4 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jul 3 2006, 10:56 AM) [snapback]10021[/snapback]
On the back there is the barcode (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) but thats as I said in WIP a pet peeve of mine so...

This is the only point I disagree with, providing you can get the UPC and ISBN for the title you're creating I think a barcode is a must. Although these covers are custom I think they look better if they could pass as retail, no barcode gives the game away instantly.

Keep trying and before you know it you'll be a Photoshop master!

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post Jul 4 2006, 06:15 PM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

It takes a lot of time and effort to create good covers. Not all the covers you create will be liked by every one. Practice is the key here and patience. You have a way to go yet my friend (if I may be honest) but stick at it and lets see some more work. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
It has been a long time. Still two years to go.
Have been away a long time and still time to do.....

+Quote Post

HS114
post Jul 6 2006, 09:00 AM
Post #10

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(brassstaxxx @ Jul 2 2006, 11:11 PM) [snapback]9958[/snapback]
Take a look at these three covers I did this morning.

I fully agree with *Krafty*
One thing you should try to learn is patience, many of the comments could have been avoided if you had devoted 3 mornings to one cover instead.
As you know from the WIP sections even long standing and accomplished cover artists can take days to achieve the look they strive for and paying attention to the small details.

Slow down and enjoy the ride (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/arms.gif)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jul 6 2006, 08:31 PM
Post #11

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

Sorry Brassstaxxx, but unfortunatly this time you did not qualify for any groups.

The artists have all agreed that you have some real potential, but generaly feel the work you have done is a bit rushed. I would like to see you post in the WIP, and I believe you will make the contributor group in no time.

IPB

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Prove yourself · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 3rd December 2016 - 02:25 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS