Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Raiderviking
post Jun 25 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Got a buddy who is nuts about history and more to the point old historic battles... he dug up a bunch of old photos taken during the battle the movie focuses on so I promised to use them somehow. Still early goings yet so not really anything to show yet but anyhoo... here it is

Preview is located in my latest post. Pls scroll down.

The map on the front is a photo of the actual map used by one of the company commanders during the battle, that Ive roughed up a bit (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) .

Flat preview coming as soon as ive added some more stuff to the cover.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

donobieus
post Jun 25 2006, 08:39 PM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I like this RaiderViking, the background really fits well with what your going for. The map looks excellent.

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Jun 25 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #3

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

My Favorite Cover Designer:
umi & nini

Speaking as a retired army dude, Looks Good, Hooooooah!

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 27 2006, 08:36 PM
Post #4

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Don and chef... thx for your replies.

Here´s an update...

UPDATED: Images removed, see my post later in the thread for updated previews

Added ol Mel to the front... dont know if I'll keep him there or not, but for now he's there. Photos on the back are actual photos from the battle. The man standing (not the corpse) in the top photo is Lt.Col. Hal Moore, the man Mel Gibson plays in this movie.

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jun 27 2006, 08:42 PM
Post #5

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Looks good!! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 27 2006, 11:54 PM
Post #6

Goddess
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

I really like what you have done with this cover you have some great ideas But... Could you explain to me what the yellow shield is for I have never seen this movie
Keep up the awesome work
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

JolietJake
post Jun 28 2006, 05:12 AM
Post #7

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Covers looks good. I never cared much for this movie though. Between this and saving private ryan i have to go with ryan.

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 28 2006, 07:01 AM
Post #8

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

I like where this is going. however, I would grunge up the badge. It looks too clean, compared with the rest of the cover. Also, I would reduced the bevel, so it doesnt look so plastic. Maybe add some scratches (if you can)

IPB

+Quote Post

donobieus
post Jun 28 2006, 08:56 AM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

This is really shaping up nicely RV, I agree with Baz about the shield though. It does look a little out of place compared to the rest of the cover.

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jun 28 2006, 10:15 AM
Post #10

Guests

Nice Start RV, although I've gotta agree with Bazzah, the shield needs some grunging up, perhaps bullet holes and peeling paint?

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 28 2006, 10:22 AM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Thank you all for your comments... especially for the suggestion regarding the shield. Im gonna try and make it look like a shoulder patch... add some dirt and why not blood or something to it. Good suggestion, thx (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

clark_ckcstm
post Jun 28 2006, 12:28 PM
Post #12

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

very nice RV.. great start!

+Quote Post

dessener
post Jun 28 2006, 05:23 PM
Post #13

Valued Member
Group Icon

like this one very muchhhhhhhhhhhhh (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB
always keep your head in the air,and dont fall

+Quote Post

vinkiiieee
post Jun 28 2006, 08:29 PM
Post #14

Valued Member
Group Icon

very nice cover. only i don't like that yellow thing on the front

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 28 2006, 09:05 PM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

that yellow thingie is the mark of the 1st cavalry division ( I think ) that the regiment in the movie belongs too... it's often showed in the movie and not to mention in the menus on the DVD so... the shield belongs and stays in the cover. I am making it look "less shiney" at the mo tho (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

coolhandlucas
post Jun 29 2006, 09:50 AM
Post #16

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Nice cover RV! Looking great!

+Quote Post

kipper
post Jun 29 2006, 03:12 PM
Post #17

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Tropical Storm @ Jun 27 2006, 04:54 PM) [snapback]9106[/snapback]
I really like what you have done with this cover you have some great ideas But... Could you explain to me what the yellow shield is for I have never seen this movie
Keep up the awesome work
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

Just so happens I am an old retired soldier who spent 3 years wearing the patch while serving in Vietnam, hope this explains the patch for you (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

History of "The Patch"

The patch of the 1st Cavalry Division has a history as colorful as its design, reflecting the proud heritage of the United States Cavalry in a timeless manner.

The insignia selected for the First team patch was designed by Colonel and Mrs. Ben Dorsey. The colonel was then commander of the 7th Cavalry Regiment at Fort Bliss, Texas. Mrs. Dorsey related that the combination of the golden sunset at Fort Bliss and the traditional colors of the Cavalry; blue and yellow, were a great influence on the background color and the insignia. The choice of the horse's head for the insignia was made by the family after they observed a mounted trooper ride by their home on a beautiful blue-black thoroughbred. Later, to improve visibility, the color scheme was modified replacing the blue for black, the symbolic color of iron and armor.

On a "sunset" yellow triangular Norman Shield with rounded corners 5 1/4 inches in height, a black diagonal stripe extends over the shield from upper left to the lower right. In the upper right, a black horse's head cut off diagonally at the neck, appears within 1/8 inches of an Army Green border. The traditional Cavalry color of yellow and the horse's head is symbolic of the original organizational structure of the Cavalry. The color black is symbolic of iron, alluding to the organizational transition from mounted horses to tanks and heavy armor. The black stripe, in heraldry termed a "Sable Bend", represents a "baldric" (a standard Army issue belt worn over the right shoulder to the opposite hip - sometimes referred to as a "Sam Browne belt") which retains either a scabbard which sheaths the trooper's saber or revolver holster.

During the Vietnam engagements, the yellow background of the patch for Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) was changed to a subdued Olive Drab (OD) green in order to minimize targeting of personnel. The yellow/black patch is retained for Class "A" uniform dress. Otherwise the patch has not changed from the original design and shape.

+Quote Post

donobieus
post Jun 29 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #18

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

That's about as good an explaination as anyone could expect. I also like the shield and think it should stay RV. However, the more I look at it, the more I think that maybe it should be a touch smaller. Just me tho

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 29 2006, 07:45 PM
Post #19

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Thanks all for your comments and thanks kipper for the lesson... i hope you will approve of the final version of this once its done as you've worn patch and are a part of it's heritage

+Quote Post

dax
post Jun 30 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #20

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jun 29 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]9369[/snapback]
Thanks all for your comments and thanks kipper for the lesson... i hope you will approve of the final version of this once its done as you've worn patch and are a part of it's heritage

Best movie ever !!!!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 11th December 2016 - 02:14 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS