Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bazzah
post Jun 25 2006, 10:13 AM
Post #1

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

Firstly, I would like to thank all of you that have contributed, either by uploading your covers/labels, or by donating. Since we have reopened hires, the site has never been so popular. Our bandwidth allowance has just had to be doubled, as we have used 390GB bandwidth already this month!

On top of that, we now have well over 13000 images in the gallery. This is an excellent feat, and proves the dedication of our community.

However, hosting this excellent community is becoming extremely expensive. The site is costing a lot more than we are receiving in donations, due to the amount of members that sit in the gallery downloading all day. Because of this, we are looking to move towards subscriptions. This would mean, all non contributing members, would have to pay a yearly subscription of $10 Euros per annum. Roughly about $12.5 USD or £6.9 GBP.

I would like to make sure that all contributors do not have to pay this subscription. So, all current artists / resident artists / donators (over $10) etc will automatically be subscribed. Therefore, I would like to know of anyone that is not currently in one of the above groups, that feels they should be.

In the future, it will work similarly. Anyone joining the site, or indeed anyone improving their skills, will have the opportunity to prove they deserve to be in the artist group, and will be able to be automatically subscribed for free.

I would like you to know, the whole reason for this move, is by the end of the year, the site costs will have more than doubled. We want to keep the site running as fast as we can, which costs a lot in hosting fees. The idea of subscriptions will remove the non contributors, who take advantage of the contributing members, who have helped to keep this site alive.

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jun 25 2006, 10:24 AM
Post #2

Guests

About time m8, good job (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 25 2006, 10:30 AM
Post #3

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

So where do you draw the line??? What will the criteria be to become an artist?

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 25 2006, 10:33 AM
Post #4

Site Owner
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

To become an artist, you need to upload fairly reguarly, and not have any covers disaproved. If you feel you fall into this catagory, then please let us know.

IPB

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 25 2006, 10:45 AM
Post #5

Goddess
Group Icon

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jun 25 2006, 08:30 PM) [snapback]8647[/snapback]

I have seen your work and it is very good im am sure it would not be to hard for you to become an artist
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 25 2006, 10:53 AM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jun 25 2006, 11:30 AM) [snapback]8647[/snapback]

I have a list of contributors who I will be PMing this week - you are on that list, Raiderviking. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Jun 25 2006, 10:54 AM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

seems like its the way all the top sites are going,because of people leeching and not contributing,but i havn't got a problem with subscribing.the money is next to nothing.the only problem i see is those people who already sub to other sites.so you just have to make sure that this is the site that they want to subscribe to,above the others.

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jun 25 2006, 02:22 PM
Post #8

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bazzah @ Jun 25 2006, 07:33 AM) [snapback]8649[/snapback]
To become an artist, you need to upload fairly reguarly, and not have any covers disaproved. If you feel you fall into this catagory, then please let us know.

Bazzah... (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif) I think this will be a great improvement for the site! Kudos on all your (and others) hard work. Although I'm fairly new here, and hey...maybe my stuff isn't up to par with some but I'm hoping I would be considered for the "Artist" category also (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

+Quote Post

Narchy
post Jun 25 2006, 06:45 PM
Post #9

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(Bazzah @ Jun 25 2006, 08:13 PM) [snapback]8640[/snapback]
The site is costing a lot more than we are receiving in donations, due to the amount of members that sit in the gallery downloading all day. Because of this, we are looking to move towards subscriptions.

Have you considered limiting the number of cover downloads per user (over 24 hours rather than per session as this would merely result in these same leechers logging off when they reach the limit, thence logging straight back on again)?

Also, I hope you will give members AMPLE warning (preferably by email) once the decision to become a subscription based service is taken. This would give those who don't already have a PayPal account time to set one up in order to donate.

The downside to becoming a subscription site is that potential new artists (who are NOT currently members) will look elsewhere if they HAVE to pay BEFORE joining, resulting in a lack of new talent being fostered and the site becoming stale as existing ARTISTS move on to other things...

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Jun 25 2006, 07:15 PM
Post #10

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

I have to agree with you that a subscription fee is a way to keep folks honest. I am guilty myself of not yet donating, but only cause of credit issues. 20 years of military life has left my finances a mess. And yet I will be happy to donate soon.

This is a premium site, and as such serious contributers should be, and I'm sure will be happy to subscribe in order to keep it running. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

bigfella
post Jun 25 2006, 07:30 PM
Post #11

New to the scene
Group Icon

I too have no problem with paying a members fee as this is the best quality site on the net, i would feel stupid uploading other peoples covers just to try and keep free membership.

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post Jun 25 2006, 07:39 PM
Post #12

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

It is a shame that we have had to take this step. I would have loved to have kept this site a 'Free Site'.

When you consider that a subscription will cost just a little more than a packets of ciggs, for a whole years worth of covers, it is value for money. Is it not? (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

A big thank you to all those who have been able to keep us going for so long with your contributions. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB
It has been a long time. Still two years to go.
Have been away a long time and still time to do.....

+Quote Post

Narchy
post Jun 25 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #13

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(*Krafty* @ Jun 26 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]8750[/snapback]
It is a shame that we have had to take this step. I would have loved to have kept this site a 'Free Site'.

Surely the banner ads we HAVE to view is a form of revenue? What do these pay for?

QUOTE(*Krafty* @ Jun 26 2006, 05:39 AM) [snapback]8750[/snapback]
When you consider that a subscription will cost just a little more than a packets of ciggs, for a whole years worth of covers, it is value for money. Is it not?

At the current exchange rate 10 Euros = 17+ Australian Dollars, that's closer to two packets of smokes down under...

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 25 2006, 08:23 PM
Post #14

Site Owner
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

QUOTE(Narchy @ Jun 25 2006, 07:45 PM) [snapback]8741[/snapback]
Have you considered limiting the number of cover downloads per user (over 24 hours rather than per session as this would merely result in these same leechers logging off when they reach the limit, thence logging straight back on again)?

Also, I hope you will give members AMPLE warning (preferably by email) once the decision to become a subscription based service is taken. This would give those who don't already have a PayPal account time to set one up in order to donate.

The downside to becoming a subscription site is that potential new artists (who are NOT currently members) will look elsewhere if they HAVE to pay BEFORE joining, resulting in a lack of new talent being fostered and the site becoming stale as existing ARTISTS move on to other things...

We have considered many aspects, but with the software we are using, this is our only alternative. We have been talking about alternatives for a very long time, and unfortunatly, this is all we are able to do. Moving to new software is not an alternative. Look what happened to the last site!

Ample warning will be given. That is the reson for making this post now, to get all the members that do fall into the current groups, into those groups, before the changes take effect. An email will also be sent out in advance, when everything has been worked out.

As for new artists, we will have a section available for new members to 'prove' their work, and receive free membership.

Believe me when I say, this is the last thing we wanted to do. I guess we always knew it would probably end up this way, but we have strived to set ourseoves apart by staying free. But the server costs are getting incredible, and I really can not afford to make these payments. If we don't make this move, then you will end up losing the site.

Once again, any members that feel they should be part of the artist groups, would they please let us know, so we can upgrade your membership.

IPB

+Quote Post

Raiderviking
post Jun 25 2006, 08:56 PM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Too bad you cant limit the amount of downloads per day as that would've been a neat way to put a cap on the traffic the site experiences per day.

As for the banner ads somebody asked about... they don't pay much at all and Im guessing the amount of money hirescovers gets depends on how many of us actually clicks on them.

And in regards to my question earlier in this thread, I was more asking in a general way, how the process would be. I like the idea Bazzah put forward of a new area where new contributors could post examples of their work. The only problem with this is the ppl who try to pass the work of others as their own... but Im sure the crew of Hires has thought of that already (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 25 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #16

Site Owner
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

All HiRes designers

QUOTE(Raiderviking @ Jun 25 2006, 09:56 PM) [snapback]8763[/snapback]
Too bad you cant limit the amount of downloads per day as that would've been a neat way to put a cap on the traffic the site experiences per day.

As for the banner ads somebody asked about... they don't pay much at all and Im guessing the amount of money hirescovers gets depends on how many of us actually clicks on them.

And in regards to my question earlier in this thread, I was more asking in a general way, how the process would be. I like the idea Bazzah put forward of a new area where new contributors could post examples of their work. The only problem with this is the ppl who try to pass the work of others as their own... but Im sure the crew of Hires has thought of that already (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif)

The process of people posting examples of their work would be public. I am sure that if we (the staff) do not recognise the work as being someone elses, you lost will! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) And if they should sneak through the net, and are found out later, they will be banned!

I am glad to hear that you are all supporting the move. It is something we really did not want to do, and we were concerned about how you would react.

IPB

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 25 2006, 11:56 PM
Post #17

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

QUOTE(Narchy @ Jun 26 2006, 06:23 AM) [snapback]8757[/snapback]
Surely the banner ads we HAVE to view is a form of revenue? What do these pay for?
At the current exchange rate 10 Euros = 17+ Australian Dollars, that's closer to two packets of smokes down under...

Well I guess that depends on what brand of cigarettes you smoke for i pay $15.25 for a packet of Longbeach 40,s In Brisbane and i know Enmore is very close to Sydney city which is paying higher prices for Houses, Petrol Etc Etc Etc... I also understand that our dollar is low compared to other currency But $17aud is not a great deal of money I guess it will be just one packet of cigarettes by time your years subscription has ended at the rate cigarettes go up
On todays rate $10 euros = $17.11 aud
This site is based in the UK and i feel lucky there asking for money in Euro Dollars and not Pounds as you would be paying alot more 10GBP= 24.88AUD
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

WhiteWolf
post Jun 26 2006, 01:03 AM
Post #18

New to the scene
Group Icon

You know Bazzah, I can understand fully what your saying. I did contribute to the cost in a small way and as soon as possible am send more your way. This has become almost like a second home to me and I am getting quite comfortable with the folks here. I do not want to see it end again.

I support your decision 100% and want you to know if there is anything I can do I will try my hardest. I am trying my hand at some covers again and hopefully with Skally's tut's I will progress nicely.

Anyhow, enough of my mumblings. Thank you kind sir for your time effort and support of this great community and thank you to the staff here as well.

Cheers! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Wolfie

QUOTE(Bazzah @ Jun 25 2006, 06:13 AM) [snapback]8640[/snapback]
Firstly, I would like to thank all of you that have contributed, either by uploading your covers/labels, or by donating. Since we have reopened hires, the site has never been so popular. Our bandwidth allowance has just had to be doubled, as we have used 390GB bandwidth already this month!

On top of that, we now have well over 13000 images in the gallery. This is an excellent feat, and proves the dedication of our community.

However, hosting this excellent community is becoming extremely expensive. The site is costing a lot more than we are receiving in donations, due to the amount of members that sit in the gallery downloading all day. Because of this, we are looking to move towards subscriptions. This would mean, all non contributing members, would have to pay a yearly subscription of $10 Euros per annum. Roughly about $12.5 USD or £6.9 GBP.

I would like to make sure that all contributors do not have to pay this subscription. So, all current artists / resident artists / donators (over $10) etc will automatically be subscribed. Therefore, I would like to know of anyone that is not currently in one of the above groups, that feels they should be.

In the future, it will work similarly. Anyone joining the site, or indeed anyone improving their skills, will have the opportunity to prove they deserve to be in the artist group, and will be able to be automatically subscribed for free.

I would like you to know, the whole reason for this move, is by the end of the year, the site costs will have more than doubled. We want to keep the site running as fast as we can, which costs a lot in hosting fees. The idea of subscriptions will remove the non contributors, who take advantage of the contributing members, who have helped to keep this site alive.

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Jun 26 2006, 03:57 AM
Post #19

Valued Member
Group Icon

Let me be quite frank with my reply here, by all means make this a subscription site, this is what it will take to make this site financially viable into the future. As for me, I have already contributed more to Hires.com and net than what the annual subscription fee will be hoping the site woiuld stay afloat, so the annual fee is a bargain to me. Now you just need to weed out a few thousand of the freeloading, bandwidth hogging leechers that probably aren't even old enough to own a credit card but are tech-saavy enough to bankrupt your site.
I usually do not speak in this harsh of a tone but the plain facts are, you need to get paid if you want to survive, the subscription is the way to do it. Let me know when the subscription is available, as I will be one of the first to subscribe.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

coolhandlucas
post Jun 26 2006, 06:07 AM
Post #20

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

There is no shame in asking the users of this site to pay for a subscription in order to benefit from all that it has to offer. I will be happy to pay for a subscription, as I download frequently and love the covers and labels that I find on this site. This is my primary spot for custom covers and labels, and the best work that I have seen so far.

To the artists, thank you for your hard work, and the fruit of your labor.

To management, thank you for such a wonderful site, and you have made the right choice by asking for those who care to contribute in the form of a subscription.

When this goes into effect I will sign up immediately!

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · General Site News · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 8th December 2016 - 02:03 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS