Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
corky
post Jun 21 2006, 04:10 PM
Post #1

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

You know I was feeling a little curious just now and as I write this we have 7048 members and of which only 350ish have actually posted, and most of the remaining thousands have posted once. I thought I'd share my discovery. See what others think. What could we do to make the other members more involved in the forum, also what do the members that currently use the site think would be good.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post Jun 21 2006, 10:13 PM
Post #2

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Stargate - The Movie by Powers

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Scaramanga

Monthly purge. Only cure against leechers.

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Jun 22 2006, 02:33 AM
Post #3

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

QUOTE(corky @ Jun 21 2006, 09:10 AM) [snapback]8194[/snapback]
You know I was feeling a little curious just now and as I write this we have 7048 members and of which only 350ish have actually posted, and most of the remaining thousands have posted once. I thought I'd share my discovery. See what others think. What could we do to make the other members more involved in the forum, also [quote]what do the members that currently use the site think would be good.

I usually post when I see something of interest to comment on and I sometimes comment on WIP's.
I don't really know what you could do to generate more partcipation, maybe just start a variety of threads on numerous topics of your choice and see if you get any bites. It is nice when many voices are heard from in the forums, I think it has a welcoming effect and encourages others to join in as well.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

BlackHawk
post Jun 22 2006, 10:49 PM
Post #4

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(corky @ Jun 21 2006, 10:10 AM) [snapback]8194[/snapback]
You know I was feeling a little curious just now and as I write this we have 7048 members and of which only 350ish have actually posted...

7087 members as I post this... so only about 5% of members are posting. So it's pretty obvious what the other (leaching) 95% are here for. But the reality is there's not much one can do to increase participation in the forums if folks really don't wish to participate. Oh well... (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif)

IPB
"Please pardon the appearance while this signature is being improved for your future enjoyment!"

+Quote Post

sleepyhead
post Jun 23 2006, 01:45 AM
Post #5

Valued Member
Group Icon

I don't think there's much you can do to encourage members to post more.

I myself only post occasionally, when I want to express my opinion/s or maybe comment on a cover that's obviously took a bit of skill to put together.

I'm certainly no leecher just because I don't post very often and to say that people are leechers cos they only post 2, 3 or maybe half a dozen times in a couple of months wouldn't be right.

An answer maybe a minimum amount of posts per month, but personally I don't think it would work, (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif) it's just people are different some like to post every day, sometimes multiple posts and others are more selective/reserved about giving an opinion.

+Quote Post

Guest_lulubelle_*
post Jun 23 2006, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Guests

You have made a good point there corky (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8834.gif) 7000+ members ... should the success of a site be based on the number of members or on the number of posters?

IMO it is on the number of posters, particularly covers. To attract that many members (leechers) because of the covers is good, (albeit they are leechers, there is nothing you can do about that they come with the territory).

I think that the best thing would be to try and attract more posters ... how you do that is something to think about. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif) (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif)

+Quote Post

corky
post Jun 23 2006, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

I just want a thankyou guys for your comments (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif) .

I realise that as a cover site most members do only come to get what they need and leave. Such is life.

I was just wondering if we held like competitions or quizzes or some other form of entertainment, that might attract a few to visit the forums, I tried stripping once but that drove them away by the thousands (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) . So I figured maybe more brainy stuff might do the trick. Any thoughts.

+Quote Post

jetta
post Jun 23 2006, 09:00 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

I also don't post as much as others do, but when I do post it is the mayhem section when something grabs my eye. I.E. the 3 word story was interesting to me and I posted quite a bit. I like the idea that corky suggested in his last post, maybe a competition of thinking. Not sure what kind of competition but maybe the top winner of that contest could get access to the games for 1 2 3 or 4 weeks. Then you might get more posters, especially if you win something it might drive something to post for. Also when you take that winning thing away from them and they really enjoyed it, it could possibly make them strive to win again. Just a thought!!!

What does everyone else think, I would't mind winning a shot to try some of the games out?

Jetta

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 23 2006, 09:35 PM
Post #9

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

I dont think anything you do will make some people post in the forums there here for one reason only and that is for the covers. However look at it this way the forums are there and there there to help anyone who wants to start designing and the regulars in the forum give help & inspiration do you really want the forums full of silly posts just because you need some sort of quota to download covers. Lets leave the forums the way they are there a great place to be. What i would love to see is a big red sign on top of the shout box saying "Shout box not Search box" (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/winking.gif) just incase you wanted my 2 cents worth (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/whistle.gif)
Cheers (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

ubl6612
post Jun 23 2006, 09:49 PM
Post #10

HiRes legend!
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Stargate - The Movie by Powers

Scaramanga

just came up with another idea.

Make this a pay site. That should thin out the horde.

IPB
My covers may only be viewed on well calibrated screens and printed on well calibrated printers.

+Quote Post

corky
post Jun 23 2006, 09:51 PM
Post #11

Hires's Mum
Group Icon

I appreciate anyone's thoughts on the matter.

I wasn't thinking of lots of silly posts, but maybe a few that inpsired some activity of some sort, I know most come just for the covers.

My thoughts are more for the ones that use the forums regulary like that post that Tropical Storm started off with the name the bands, some might find that silly, but others find amusing. I wouldn't mind seeing more stuff like that here, or some trivia quizes, or whatever people fancy, I realsie were never gonna keep everyone happy or entertained.

I quite like jettas idea of a comp, where the winner be given a prize of being able to use the arcade for a given time period, but in the same token some users can't make covers/labels for whatever reason, maybe we could have a similar comp for these members like a comp for the best poster/resources upped for a certain movie or era, then the artists/residents would have to use these resources in the cover comp. Obviosuly the prize for those already able to access the arcade could maybe a dvd or something, where all parcipants maybe paid £1 to enter via paypal or whatever. I'm sure we could sort something out. Anyone any thoughts on this.

+Quote Post

snips71
post Jun 23 2006, 09:55 PM
Post #12

New to the scene
Group Icon

I don't post much in the forums, but I upload everything I create here. To be quite honest most people who visit the site are strictly looking for covers or labels. The only people that usually post in the forums are the mods, admin., or artists. I would try to get more people into feeling comfortable into creating their own work. That could be accomplished by holding beginners contest or something like that. If you get more people interested in designing their own, you will get more participation in the forum. I don't know about everyone else, but I was a leecher for much longer than the 8 months I have been an artist.

IPB
GO SEAHAWKS!

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 23 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #13

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

I could offer some help with trivia Corky I host trivia every monday on my own site so i am good for some questions and a few ideas there let me know if you would like some help

+Quote Post

tkboxer
post Jun 24 2006, 02:15 AM
Post #14

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE(snips71 @ Jun 23 2006, 02:55 PM) [snapback]8422[/snapback]
I don't post much in the forums, but I upload everything I create here. To be quite honest most people who visit the site are strictly looking for covers or labels. The only people that usually post in the forums are the mods, admin., or artists. I would try to get more people into feeling comfortable into creating their own work. That could be accomplished by holding beginners contest or something like that. If you get more people interested in designing their own, you will get more participation in the forum. I don't know about everyone else, but I was a leecher for much longer than the 8 months I have been an artist.

I agree Snips, with 7K plus members there have to be a few that would like to learn to create their own and contribute.

IPB
tkboxer

+Quote Post

Guest_Skallywag®_*
post Jun 24 2006, 09:40 PM
Post #15

Guests

Would be nice to know what the managements take on this topic is?

Personally, I have no problem with leechers, but if I understand these things correctly, they use site bandwidth and that increases the running cost of the site, whilst adding no value.

Perhaps a scheme would work based on contribution to the site and penalties or charges given to those who give nothing back.

Has the idea of rewarding contributors with access to the arcade incresed the percentge of contributing members?

How about resticting access to the highest rated covers? or applying a wait time period to all new covers for those that don't contribute. i.e the more you contribute the lower your wait time.

Charging is a contentious issue but perhaps a small annual membership fee as an option for those that choose to leech or a credit system as some other sites use?

This is an age old issue, which many sites have tried and failed to resolve.

+Quote Post

sauron
post Jun 24 2006, 11:57 PM
Post #16

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

make a thread about disscusing the world cup i think that would get loads of people chatting about it

+Quote Post

dessener
post Jun 25 2006, 03:35 PM
Post #17

Valued Member
Group Icon

i think that if you try to help people make custum covers they will get more involved.myself, i cant make covers.just for the simple reason that i dont know how to get started (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/eek5.gif)

IPB
always keep your head in the air,and dont fall

+Quote Post

Narchy
post Jun 25 2006, 07:11 PM
Post #18

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE(ubl6612 @ Jun 22 2006, 08:13 AM) [snapback]8228[/snapback]
Monthly purge. Only cure against leechers.

I made PLENTY of insightful and witty posts when this site was HIREScovers.com (which were all lost in the move to .net).

Further, some people (myself included) are hopefully still considered valued members even if they have better things to do than come here EVERY day, week or month ;-} There's plenty of other places, technologies if you just want to chat...

This site is for cover art, not the World Cup or for exchanging lame jokes etc.

QUOTE(ubl6612 @ Jun 24 2006, 07:49 AM) [snapback]8419[/snapback]
Make this a pay site. That should thin out the horde.

You're such a good member, yet can't even be bothered uploading an avatar?

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Jun 25 2006, 08:00 PM
Post #19

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

as I said in bazzah's topic, this is a primium site, to me a subscription fee isn't a bad idea. I haven't been able to contribute financially yet, but I do contribute by posting and or attempting uploads, some of which are still rejected, as I am new to cover making, but because of this site I've made huge strides and surely don't mind paying a subscription fee, if that's what we need to keep it alive. I don't really mind "leechers" as long as they're not tryin to take credit in any form for our work. Well anyway enough of my 2 cents..... (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Storm Raider
post Jun 25 2006, 11:42 PM
Post #20

Goddess
Group Icon

Miss Potter by Venome

To many to choose from

QUOTE(dessener @ Jun 26 2006, 01:35 AM) [snapback]8728[/snapback]
i think that if you try to help people make custum covers they will get more involved.myself, i cant make covers.just for the simple reason that i dont know how to get started (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/eek5.gif)

Well The very Lovely Mr Skally is going to make some video tutorial for this reason he has already made one on how to make a template which was of the highest quailty so keep your eyes on the forums in the Skally Skool section and he will have you whipping up covers in no time

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 6th December 2016 - 09:42 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS