Tagline
Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
zantasha
post Jan 31 2010, 08:32 PM
Post #1

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 275

Hi guys 'n' gals Here's a tip for How to extract an image from background.

1- Open image you want to extract.

2. Now go to :Channels Pallet" and watch closely which "color channel" has more/better contrast. In this case it is "blue channel"... so simply drag it to "create new channel" icon to make a copy of blue channel. it will be called "blue copy"

NOTE: if your channel pallet is not visible, then simply goto "Window" in top menu and select "Channels" from drop menu.

3. When "blue copy" is selected, goto "Image" from top menu then Adjustments>Levels.. or simply press Ctrl+L to open level options. Drag the left pointer (black) to right

4. Now goto Edit>Fade Levels or Shift+Ctrl+F and change mode to "Linear Burn"

5. Now select Black as you foreground color.... choose a harder brush of about medium size and change the brush mode to "Overlay" (Alt+Shift+O)... and paint over image untill it gets totally black.

6. Now Ctrl+Click on the icon of that "blue copy" to make its selection... go back to layers pallet and click on the "Add Layer Mask" icon on the pellet bottom.

Note: If this step hides your foreground instead of background...simply press Ctrl+I on layer mask and the selection will be reversed.

Thats it... you have extracted the image

You can now place it on any background. I've placed it on a texture i made in 3 simple steps in photoshop. (i'll add that tutorial here as well if you like it)

I hope I've explained everything. 8834.gif I will add other tips like how to extract an image with complex background later

Edit: Oh.. there are also some advanced techniques to adjust the channel mask with dog or burn tool... and then refine mask edge....which i'll explain in other thread.

This post has been edited by Bazzah: Jul 7 2015, 07:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To zantasha For This Post:
       ctaulbee

MrHenryDog
post Jan 31 2010, 09:19 PM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 611

My Favorite Custom Cover:
L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

thanks Zan - I use paintshop, as personally i find it a little more user friendly, but you have made this look so easy that I have bookmarked this page and planning to load CS and have a go.

More tutorials like this an I might be converted.. thumb.gif

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To MrHenryDog For This Post:
       ctaulbee

LittleCoolDude
post Jan 31 2010, 10:18 PM
Post #3

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Coverart: 113
The Lovely Bones by Venome

My good God Zantasha... I cannot wait to see the tutorial you will have for complex backgrounds. I wish i knew about this weeks ago. What you just showed me saved me HOURS of work on simple animation backgrounds.

Thank you very very much

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To LittleCoolDude For This Post:
       ctaulbee

jcdesign
post Jan 31 2010, 10:36 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 152

Avengers - 2015 by Kernie

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie

Thank´s for this. Mark the whole tutorial and paste it in word. Must try this some day. It seems for doing this it must been a white background? Am I right?

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To jannecover For This Post:
       ctaulbee

zantasha
post Jan 31 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #5

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

QUOTE (jannecover @ Jan 31 2010, 10:36 PM) *
Thank´s for this. Mark the whole tutorial and paste it in word. Must try this some day. It seems for doing this it must been a white background? Am I right?

The method will remain pretty much same with dark backgrounds... only reversed... and when do the fade levels setting, change the mode to Dodge or Screen.. then play a little bit with dodge tool to enhance the contrast and thats it winking.gif

EDIT: did a quickie for example

This post has been edited by zantasha: Jan 31 2010, 11:54 PM
Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To zantasha For This Post:
       ctaulbee

Bazzah
post Feb 1 2010, 12:00 AM
Post #6

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,404

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

You are a show off Nat tongue2.gif You make this look too easy! lol

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee

zantasha
post Feb 1 2010, 12:09 AM
Post #7

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

And the background texture is pretty much easy.

1. Make a new document... create a new layer... and with default black & white colors goto filter>render>clouds
Note: you can press Ctrl+F a couple of times to get the effect you like.

2. Go to Filter>Pixelate>Mezzotint and select Long Strokes in type.

3. Goto Filter>Blur>Motion Blur... set the angel to 90 and distance all the way to maximum. Again you can press Ctrl+F a couple of times till you get what you like.

4. Then in Blending Options simply add Gradient Overly with mode set to Overlay and whatever gradient you like.

EDIT: LOL bazz it's not very easy... but it ain't rocket science either.. once you understand the blend modes, it's kinda piece of cake. winking.gif

This post has been edited by zantasha: Feb 1 2010, 01:36 AM

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post Feb 2 2010, 02:33 PM
Post #8

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Really great tutorial, I think i need to practice a bit, Zantasha does it really depend on the background and quality of the image?

I tested it out on a few Japanese Animation pics i had with white backgrounds, and there was a thin white line around the images, Can this happen from not blending properly from the channel?

Thanks again, great tutorial, worked well for extracting a TT 8824.gif

+Quote Post

zantasha
post Feb 4 2010, 08:56 PM
Post #9

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

Sorry for late reply LittleCoolDude.. i wasn't around.. well removing that thin white line (halos) is really simple. So if you have a vector type (or hard edges).. then simply do this

While you layer mask is selected, goto Filter>Other>Minimum and select Select default Radius of 1 Pixel..Thats all 8824.gif you can change it to 2 ,3 or whatever, but I'd suggest that you keep it to 1 and apply the filter....then simply press Ctrl+F to re-apply the filter with same settings.

and if you're image has softer edges like fur, hair etc then while your layer mask is selected....goto Select>Refine Edge or Alt+Ctrl+R and take Contract/Expand slider to left till the Halo goes away and then add a little bit of feather. Try to do it in the standard mode(far left option)t and if the marching ants (selection) is not letting you see the edges properly.. simply press Ctrl+H and they will hide. Ctrl+H again will reveal them again.

Refining Edge is a bit of tricky job and i'll try to fully explain it in another thread.

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post Feb 4 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #10

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

you are brilliant!!! Thanks for the explanation. Just one last question, is this for CS4 or CS3? I'm not using CS4 so just wondering if I need to alter anything to fit.

Thanks again Zan!!

+Quote Post

zantasha
post Feb 4 2010, 09:07 PM
Post #11

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

This even works with photoshop CS (version 8) not sure about photoshop 7 though.. never used it

This post has been edited by zantasha: Feb 4 2010, 09:10 PM

+Quote Post

faxon
post Feb 5 2010, 02:01 AM
Post #12

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Coverart: 20

If there are two channels that together would give the best result; lets say there's a strong gradient from white to black in the background on cal try blending to channels using the calculations command

Image -> Calculations

Didn´t have time to post a tutorial but youtubed it and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqg4m2q2eek...feature=related

poped up, hope this helps with insane backgrounds 8834.gif

IPB
A 22 year old girl is like a good carpenter, no "wood" gets wasted !

+Quote Post

Sxxo
post Feb 13 2010, 07:03 PM
Post #13

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 34

This is a great trick, thanks "Z". This will same me HOURS of work, because i use to delet or remove pixels with erase tool.
But i have tried this one and still have a problem ... people like me that are begining in this "world" of make costum images and covers, it's very important this help.
So to explain my problem, and try myself help others, i have done a picture that explain's all (problem and tips).
Hope that you "Z" could help me. Must apreciated. giggle.gif
For "LittlecoolDude", what do you mean with "... work well for extracting a TT" ?? Thanks.
Be pacient with my english ...

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post Feb 13 2010, 07:57 PM
Post #14

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Looks like you are copying the channel layer over and not the entire layer w/mask.

If you actually just high light the layer and drag it into your new image area, you will have the masked image in the background you want.

By TT i mean I had a JPEG title treatment on a black background, used the channel method to mask out the background and had a perfect Title Treatment to use for my cover 8824.gif

+Quote Post

zantasha
post Feb 13 2010, 08:05 PM
Post #15

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

You don't do Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V when you've made/added a mask to layer... Select MOVE TOOL and Simply drag the layer from original to new workspace while holding you left mouse button. you just can't copy both layer and mask at the same time.

Ctrl+C and then Ctrl+V will only copy/paste either your mask or original layer.. depending on what was selected when Ctrl+C

EDIT:
since you're extracting image with has softer edges (hair & fur) I'd suggest you that while your layer mask is selected, goto Select>Refine Edge or Alt+Ctrl+R and take Contract/Expand slider to left till the Halo goes away and then add a little bit of feather. Try to do it in the standard mode(far left option)t and if the marching ants (selection) is not letting you see the edges properly.. simply press Ctrl+H and they will hide. Ctrl+H again will reveal them again. (i copied that last part from my earlier post) 8834.gif

EDIT 2: and if you don't want shadow under boy and puppy, then choose a normal size brush with hard edged and simply paint with white in "Blue Copy" after step 5 and the shadows will be concealed... which you add later if you like.

This post has been edited by zantasha: Feb 13 2010, 08:39 PM

+Quote Post

Sxxo
post Feb 14 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #16

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

I had try the "Z" tricks and all work very good ... the "Refine Edge", put out or erase the shadow of images ... all went well.
Fix my previous problem (it miss to apply mask) 8834.gif
Still have a problem ... the final step - Drag the mask to workspace into the image that want to put her.
Done other image. Hope that "Z" could help me. winking.gif
This is the last step ... i'm one click away to complete this.
Be pacient with the ones that are begining in this "world.
Thanks.

+Quote Post

zantasha
post Feb 14 2010, 06:12 PM
Post #17

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

Ok post the original image here or url it.... and I'll try to explain it more. You've done the last step wrong. Never apply Mask again after refine edge or it will merge with the original layer and you won't be able to edit the mask anymore.

so just give me the original image winking.gif

This post has been edited by zantasha: Feb 14 2010, 06:13 PM

+Quote Post

Sxxo
post Feb 15 2010, 08:20 PM
Post #18

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Hi. I have work this image in lower resolution, but this is the original.
Thanks in advance.

This post has been edited by Sxxo: Feb 22 2010, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post

zantasha
post Feb 18 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #19

Femme Fatale
Group Icon

I've skipped those steps I've explained in earlier posts. just one closer look on how you overlay the brush on your blue channel copy

Now once you've made the layer mask... make sure layer and mask are locked... select move tool and drag it to new wrokspace while holding the left mouse button.

Next step is refine edge

TIP: its alway better to choose the background image before refining edge.... cause image extracted from lighter background/placed on a lighter background don't need to much work... and same goes for image extracted from darker background/placed on darker background.

when you open the refine edge option, it will show you the marching ant (selection area) and you won't be able to see the edge clearly.

simply pressing Ctrl+H will hide those ants and give you a better preview. Slide down the mask edge (to left) till those halos go away, then use a light bit of feather to soften it

Thats it you are almost done.

At last add some shadow under the characters to make it more realistic. winking.gif

I hope you got the idea

This post has been edited by zantasha: Feb 18 2010, 06:35 PM

+Quote Post

Sxxo
post Feb 22 2010, 04:30 PM
Post #20

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Went out for the weekend ... and spend some time to pratice this tip and finally i could done this. 8834.gif
I will finish my Bolt cover, with this one ...
Just two questions, if you please:
1- My CS3 only got a few font types for titles (TT) and one friend tould me that this depend of the fonts i have installed on my Word 2007. Is this true ? Do i need to make a upload ?
2 - Wicth type font do you normally use for credits (image bellow) ?

Thanks for all your support and, specially, pacient winking.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Intermediate guides · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 2nd December 2020 - 03:28 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS