Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
burnbabyburn
post Jun 8 2006, 03:03 AM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

First of all, this is by far the best cover site on the net, especially for the customs. The quality of the artwork/design here would put a lot of the "pro's" to shame.
Now I'm all for the voting system you have here. When someone does an awesome cover, it should garner our respect and vice versa. I do however think that "maybe" when someone places a vote, they should only be able to vote if their username is also recorded, so we can see who in fact is posting the zero's. I have no problem with a zero if it's deserved but it does seem like some people are doing it just for kicks? What does everyone else think? I'm fairly new here, so if this has been covered, please accept my apologies. Thanks.

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Guest_lulubelle_*
post Jun 8 2006, 08:35 AM
Post #2

Guests

this has already been answered burnbaby... bazzah, filmboy and Krafty can see what people have voted...if you vote below a 3 you have to say why or you get a warning.

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 8 2006, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Guests

QUOTE(lulubelle @ Jun 8 2006, 09:35 AM) [snapback]6309[/snapback]
this has already been answered burnbaby... bazzah, filmboy and Krafty can see what people have voted...if you vote below a 3 you have to say why or you get a warning.

One other aspect to this is that some zero voters will (deliberately, I guess) use untraceable IP addresses to register their unfair vote.

Our only option in that circumstance, is to simply apply an IP ban to that address. Often, of course, modern networks will apply variable IP addresses, so this will not necessarily stop the idiot voters.

The only other option, which we will certainly have to consider if this problem continues to grow. is to do away with the rating system completely. Covers would then simply be rated on number of downloads.

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jun 8 2006, 11:19 AM
Post #4

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Thanks for your reply. I didn't know it had been discussed already, and I also didn't know that you had some rules in place for it.
Filmboy, I can see what you mean about the IP's. Guess there's not much one can really do to stop it. There's always going to be some moron somewhere screwing up a good thing.
Thanks again.

IPB
The key to faking out the parents is the clammy hands. It's a good non-specific symptom; I'm a big believer in it. A lot of people will tell you that a good phony fever is a dead lock, but, uh... you get a nervous mother, you could wind up in a doctor's office. That's worse than school. You fake a stomach cramp, and when you're bent over, moaning and wailing, you lick your palms. It's a little childish and stupid, but then, so is high school.

+Quote Post

happy
post Jun 8 2006, 02:08 PM
Post #5

New to the scene
Group Icon

Name of the voter and his or hers rating on the cover.
Is that functionally??

Happy

ops, i saw that burnbabyburn allready had askt that. :blink:

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 8 2006, 03:00 PM
Post #6

Guests

QUOTE(happy @ Jun 8 2006, 03:08 PM) [snapback]6359[/snapback]
Name of the voter and his or hers rating on the cover.
Is that functionally??

Happy

ops, i saw that burnbabyburn allready had askt that. :blink:

Unfortunately we cannot do that. I would love to find a coppermine mod that would do that! :blink: (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post Jun 8 2006, 03:48 PM
Post #7

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

I did look into this and the IP addy showed up with no member. Sorry. <_<

BTW. Great cover and worthy of a five. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB
It has been a long time. Still two years to go.
Have been away a long time and still time to do.....

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jun 8 2006, 06:07 PM
Post #8

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE(*Krafty* @ Jun 8 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]6362[/snapback]
I did look into this and the IP addy showed up with no member. Sorry. <_<

BTW. Great cover and worthy of a five. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

No problem...thanks for all the help!

IPB

+Quote Post

golemeye
post Jun 13 2006, 05:40 PM
Post #9

The next Bond
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

I have 5 or 6 covers with 1 zero vote. Is there anyway to at least find out if it's the same #*(!)@** or just random zero-vote thrill-seekers.
The latter doesn't bother me too much, sub-75 I.Q. members need hobbies too, but if it's 1 flarmpfgh, then I shall set out to plot his demise.

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post Jun 13 2006, 06:27 PM
Post #10

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

I will come back to you after an investigation (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

If you can post a link to the offending covers, that would be helpful, thanks (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

golemeye
post Jun 13 2006, 09:22 PM
Post #11

The next Bond
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

QUOTE(*Krafty* @ Jun 13 2006, 12:27 PM) [snapback]7130[/snapback]
I will come back to you after an investigation (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/chin.gif)

If you can post a link to the offending covers, that would be helpful, thanks (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

Thank you *Krafty*, really, I appreciate it. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/cheers.gif)

Here's 4 links. One cover I deleted when I was in a bad mood. I know there is one more but I can't seem to remember it. With all my spanning stuff I've got almost 200 covers/labels in the new gallery, but I'll go through it and post the link later.

Amistad Golemeye

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pos=-12456

Queen of The Damned Golemeye

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pos=-13595

Aviator Ver 1 Golemeye

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pos=-15197

Aviator Ver 2 Golemeye

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pos=-15198

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 13 2006, 09:44 PM
Post #12

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

HiRes Challenge
Label Of The Month

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

Hi Golemeye. I have checked these covers. The ip address below, does not match any members on the site. I have banned the ip address, and if the situation persists, I will trace the ip's, and contact the ISP. The second cover received a zero vote from matchstick.

I can reset the votes, but this would mean reseting all of them. Unfortunatly, we can not remove single votes.

1. 203.177.224.48
2. matchstick
3. 203.177.224.48
4. 203.177.224.48

IPB

+Quote Post

golemeye
post Jun 13 2006, 09:52 PM
Post #13

The next Bond
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

Bazzah, that was quick service, thanks very much.
Don't bother resetting, mainly I was hoping you would find an unauthorized IP, and you did. I'm satisfied.
thanks again, golemeye

+Quote Post

burnbabyburn
post Jun 14 2006, 03:17 AM
Post #14

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Nice work Bazzah. It's nice to see you are keeping an eye on this. Thank you very much for your hard work!
(IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/thumb.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

*Krafty*
post Jun 15 2006, 11:24 AM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

If I remember correctly this is the same IP addy that gave burnbabyburn a zero too. NOT 100% though.

IPB

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 15 2006, 11:27 AM
Post #16

Guests

QUOTE(*Krafty* @ Jun 15 2006, 12:24 PM) [snapback]7323[/snapback]
If I remember correctly this is the same IP addy that gave burnbabyburn a zero too. NOT 100% though.

This IP has given out LOTS of zeros.

Must be one very sad person! (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/shrug.gif)

+Quote Post

Da^MsT
post Jun 15 2006, 09:25 PM
Post #17

New to the scene
Group Icon

Why vote at all? Apperantly your NOT allowed to vote as you like anyway.

IPB
// Da^MsT - My CSTM's
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else!"

+Quote Post

Guest_filmboy_*
post Jun 15 2006, 10:25 PM
Post #18

Guests

QUOTE(Da^MsT @ Jun 15 2006, 10:25 PM) [snapback]7404[/snapback]

As I have said before, the more people who abuse the voting system, then the more we will have to consider removing the voting system completely.

Whilst constructive comment is always valuable, it saddens me that there seems to be an ever increasing number of methods some folks want to adopt to use the voting system to their own ends.

I. We have people, usually logging on anonymously, who will place "zero" and "one" votes - just for badness, I guess.

2. We have people who simply vote top marks for their own covers, either using their own membership, or by registering in another name, or both.

3. We have people who will place "tactical" votes, usually low ones, choosing another creator that they have some grievance with.

All of the above are, to me, a little childish, and I think it is a shame that as a site, we cannot all act like adults.

The voting system was put there to be a positive factor on the site. NOT a negative one.

Unfortunately, as is often the case, it is the actions of a very small minority that spoil things for the rest of us.

On top of all the other stuff that admin have to do, we do try to police the system. And we will, and indeed do correct what we see as incorrect or malicious voting. However, there are only so many hours in the day, and the use of variable IP adresses makes it ever harder to police.

If the problem does get worse, then the option of dropping the voting system, and going onto a purely comment based system will, I guess, have to be considered (the top rated would then be based simply on the number of downloads).

As ever, we want this site to work for you, so if you have any views on this, I would welcome your input. (IMG:http://www.hirescovers.net/forum/style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

+Quote Post

Da^MsT
post Jun 15 2006, 10:46 PM
Post #19

New to the scene
Group Icon

A creator have to be prepared to received bad/good critique, not only the good side. Otherwise you shouldnt be an artist! Everyone has diffrent taste and should be able to vote after its own like/dislike. Of course its not good if the voting function is used in bad manners. BUT if its a pure vote with written reasons why, it should not be edited out....then its dictatorship and the voting system servs no purpose at all.

IPB
// Da^MsT - My CSTM's
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else!"

+Quote Post

golemeye
post Jun 15 2006, 11:07 PM
Post #20

The next Bond
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

QUOTE(Da^MsT @ Jun 15 2006, 03:25 PM) [snapback]7404[/snapback]

Absolutely not true. I'd say that the Admins. very much want the members to vote often, and vote exactly as they wish, without worry of a Moderator jumping all over them 2 seconds after they vote a 3 or a 2.
What we've discussed in this thread is not voting, which would entail assessing a covers merits based on whatever criteria you see fit, then asssigning a number value to your final impression. Voting is not expressing dislike or resentment of the artist, and is not motivated by intent to shift a cover's ranking, up or down. Not that those needs are bad, on the contrary, they make the world go round. If I weighed my ego based intent verses my needs to be unbiased and helpful, the latter all but disappears by comparison. I just think that what Bazzah, Filmboy and *Krafty* desire of the voting system, is that it promotes and encourages the fair vote and discourages anything else. Impossible to achieve, but an honorable endeavor. I think they are doing so much more right than wrong, that as with my motivations, the latter is all but disappeared.
IMHO anyway.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 4th December 2016 - 01:53 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS