Tagline
Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Bazzah
post Nov 10 2020, 11:26 AM
Post #1

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,399

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

Fonts are a big deal in cover design, and can make the difference between a good cover and a great cover. But how do you choose your font? Do you have a method of picking a type of font depending on the genre of the movie you are making a custom cover for? Do you copy the font style, or type, from the original artwork? Or do you have such an extensive font knowledge that you can visualise the perfect font when thinking up your design?

Personally I utilise whatthefont.com a lot, to find similar free fonts to the original artwork.

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

sauron
post Nov 10 2020, 08:08 PM
Post #2

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 154

Back when I was making covers I used to base it on the main TT, or I would use some of my favourite fonts such as Gotham, Futura, Helvetica, Trade Gothic etc...

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To sauron For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Chevalier
post Nov 12 2020, 11:35 AM
Post #3

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Cover Designer

Coverart: 147

I usually always use the same fonts for the content. Since I have three / four fonts. But I also try out fonts that I particularly like and that, in my opinion, could fit the theme / design.

For the title I often use the original title or try out different fonts.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Chevalier For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

weyn
post Nov 14 2020, 01:07 AM
Post #4

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 38

One thing that I'm almost always trying to avoid for the TT are commonly used (commercial) typefaces like Helvetica, Gotham (especially that one), Futura, Trajan etc. Apart from that, it's either a proper new font or the original one, depending on the film title and how iconic the original design/title design is. However, as for the synopsis, Special Features etc. Helvetica and friends are acceptable to use.

MyFonts is a good source to find professional (this means full font families with different styles and weights) typefaces.

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To weyn For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Design Questions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 25th November 2020 - 11:14 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS