Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
> A Quick, partially related poll
Did you know the default search searched on more than just the title field?
Yes [ 17 ] ** [80.95%]
No [ 4 ] ** [19.05%]
If you did, did you utilize that feature.
Yes [ 12 ] ** [57.14%]
No [ 5 ] ** [23.81%]
I already said I didn't know! [ 4 ] ** [19.05%]
Do you think we should modify the default search to make it ONLY look at the title?
Yes [ 8 ] ** [38.10%]
No [ 10 ] ** [47.62%]
Undecided [ 3 ] ** [14.29%]

Fubster
post Sep 22 2011, 04:11 PM
Post #1

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 486
My Favorite Custom Cover:
King Kong by Dweez

I am working on the latest round of site updates, and I’d like your feedback. These updates affect many aspects of the site, but I’ve narrowed the scope of this discussion for simplicity (believe it or not)

The most noticeable change will be the gallery search – I want to have on-the-fly filtering available, very much like you see on retail sites. I think this mock-up picture explains it fairly well:
Attached File  Narrow_Results.jpg ( 415.07K ) Number of downloads: 17

Now, in order to add that feature, I obviously have to add some fields to the database, and contributors/designers must fill those fields in. Here is really where I am looking for some feedback – let me know what you think about this list, additions, modifications, subtractions, etc.

Title: This is not a new field, but worth mentioning at this point. We will start asking that the Title field contain the feature title ONLY. So, the name of the movie, TV show, whatever. (we can cover any exceptions, like collections, later)
Language: Again, this is not new, but in the future will be required, and controlled by a select list.
Region: Not required, but if the artwork has a region designation, then it should be specified (R1, R2, etc.)
Format: Again, not required, but if the artwork has a format designation, then it should be specified (NTSC, PAL)
Clean: A checkbox will be available to designate “clean” artwork...several of our label designers do this.
3D: A checkbox will be available to designate artwork specifically for the 3D version of a feature.
Season: For TV shows (I don’t think there is another application), specify the season.
Disc Number: For a Multi-disc collection, specify the disc number.

Note on field additions: I am not adding fields that would qualify the movie, so I’m not adding Rating, Year, Actors, etc.

Other notable changes for artists:

When you upload, you will no longer have to select from the horrendously long album list. I will let you choose from a small subset of categories, and then I will examine the title to determine the beginning letter (skipping “The” and “A”).

I will give you the ability to change multiple items on a single page, an option called “Edit My Items”. It will somehow incorporate some filters and sorts. My hope is that you will use this to help us update the 60,000+ items in the gallery.

Also, I will be available to make mass changes through the backend database by request. For instance, I know donger will ask me to search his items for “(clean)” in the title, mark the clean tag for those items, then remove the “(clean)” from the title. This type of thing will be easy enough for me to do.

Lastly, I am planning on making it easy on our artists for new items, with regards to these new fields. I will provide an option for the site to examine the filename on uploads, and set some of these new fields accordingly. For instance, if I find “(clean)” or “_clean_” in the filename, I will set the clean tag for you. We will cover this more later.

So, there it is…I am open to your feedback.

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

RRJR84
post Sep 22 2011, 04:51 PM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 884

Avengers - Kernie

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie

I like the updates i say go with it.

+Quote Post

Jazzy
post Sep 22 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #3

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 455

yellow.gif Cool updates...

I will give you the ability to change multiple items on a single page, an option called “Edit My Items”. It will somehow incorporate some filters and sorts. My hope is that you will use this to help us update the 60,000+ items in the gallery.

...let me have a Beer! beer.gif Will start after.... thumbsup.gif

+Quote Post

voetzoeker
post Sep 22 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #4

That Dutch Dude
Group Icon

Coverart: 267

Big T In Little C by dweez

dweez

I really like the new feature you're working on, but i'm not to sure adding new fields will work that well,
as it means al the covers should have the fields filled in, to work well ?

I would not have a problem with updating my cover with the correct info,
but updating 60.000 covers SHOCKED.gif

I was also wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the search box field, so that when you start typing a word
the search box will display titles that are in the galley with that word in a drop down list, like the search box on IMBD for example (without the pictures) 8824.gif

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post Sep 22 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #5

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 367

Really nice updates! The title selection in particular is excellent, as people will finally be able to find a movie like "Red," rather than giving up halfway through and crying themselves to sleep. ...not that I speak from experience. whistle.gif (sad.gif)

Out of curiosity, what does "Clean" mean in regard to labels? No legal text/logos?

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 22 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #6

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

Yes, updating 60,000 items is a daunting task, but somehow we will get there.

I like your idea a lot, voet. I might be able to incorporate it into this, once the titles are more uniform....but a few notes:

Long term, I plan on having a database of movies (or feature titles) on the site, and gallery items would be linked to that database instead of the title being hand-keyed, and your suggestion would work great at that point. But, like I said, I still might be able to make it work with more uniform titles...

One thing that I'm not sure if people realize though...the default search searches MORE than just the title field....it currently searches Title, Keywords, Owner Name, and Created By.

As I typed that, it made me think, since people don't REALIZE that's what it's doing (or so I think), then they probably aren't USING it that way, and in fact, it probably gives them erroneous results BECAUSE it's searching on fields they really don't want it to!

OK, I'd like to hear thoughts on that:
1) Did you know the default search searched on more than just the title field?
2) If you did, did you utilize that feature.
3) Do you think we should put it to a vote to make it the default search ONLY look at the title?

Hmm, maybe I'll add a poll 8834.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 22 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #7

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

QUOTE (Bunny Dojo @ Sep 22 2011, 03:27 PM) *
Really nice updates! The title selection in particular is excellent, as people will finally be able to find a movie like "Red," rather than giving up halfway through and crying themselves to sleep. ...not that I speak from experience. whistle.gif (sad.gif)

Out of curiosity, what does "Clean" mean in regard to labels? No legal text/logos?

That's correct. Donger is one of 2 or 3 label designers who do more than one version of their labels, one having a "clean"designation. You can see donger's stuff here for a quick visual.

IPB

+Quote Post

tmscrapbook
post Sep 22 2011, 07:55 PM
Post #8

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Cover Designer

Coverart: 12,721

I like the new update ideas. It would also be nice to be able to upload more than five files at a time. I'm thinking of TV series that would have a cover and then 6-7 discs for that season. It would be nice to be able to upload them all at once.

This post has been edited by tmscrapbook: Sep 22 2011, 07:56 PM

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 22 2011, 07:58 PM
Post #9

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

Thanks for the feedback, TM - I'll look into that, I don't think it would be terribly difficult.

IPB

+Quote Post

Dagon
post Sep 22 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #10

The Awesome One
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 106

QUOTE (voetzoeker @ Sep 22 2011, 02:19 PM) *
I was also wondering if it would be possible to upgrade the search box field, so that when you start typing a word
the search box will display titles that are in the galley with that word in a drop down list, like the search box on IMBD for example (without the pictures) 8824.gif

Fubs,
The search boxes on Replace the Case do this as well and I'd be willing to share that code if you want. Let me know 8834.gif

I like the update idea you're working on and agree that more uniform titles would help immensely moving forward. I've noticed alot of things in titles like region, spine size, etc. that would be better in separate fields in the db.

IPB
No matter where you go, there you are.

+Quote Post

donger
post Sep 22 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #11

Label Guru
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 3,539

QUOTE (Bunny Dojo @ Sep 22 2011, 03:27 PM) *

Bunny,

I started to call my labels without any logos such as region, rating, Studio, etc. "clean". I still leave the title and sometimes taglines, but none of the other stuff. The reasoning was I make NTSC labels and I know that other people in other parts of the world like my labels so I offer the "clean" version so they can customize them to their needs and regions. JR's crew over at CoverVision uploads customized versions of my stuff all the time, with my consent, of course. It's quite flattering. :-)

This post has been edited by donger: Sep 22 2011, 10:40 PM

+Quote Post

bluesnow
post Sep 22 2011, 11:31 PM
Post #12

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Scanner

Coverart: 274

If you have 60,000 titles to "modify" I'll volunteer some time to help.

I love the on-the-fly filtering you're showing as an example.

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Sep 22 2011, 11:38 PM
Post #13

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

I like the new ideas, but I'm very tired from a long day of work and I'll... fall... asleep... trying to read... all of this... right now... sleeping.gif sleeping.gif sleeping.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 23 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #14

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

QUOTE (Dagon @ Sep 22 2011, 05:22 PM) *
The search boxes on Replace the Case do this as well and I'd be willing to share that code if you want. Let me know 8834.gif

Thanks, I'll be in touch if needed 8834.gif

QUOTE (Dagon @ Sep 22 2011, 05:22 PM) *
I like the update idea you're working on and agree that more uniform titles would help immensely moving forward. I've noticed alot of things in titles like region, spine size, etc. that would be better in separate fields in the db.

Ahhh yes, spine width, I forgot about spine width. For the most part, I can tell spine width from the overall dimensions, but I think I will show what what spine width was found so that the artist can verify it. And then I need to add that to my search options.

QUOTE (bluesnow @ Sep 22 2011, 07:31 PM) *
If you have 60,000 titles to "modify" I'll volunteer some time to help.

Thank you for the offer to help! We will probably take you up on that. 8834.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 23 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #15

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

QUOTE (tmscrapbook @ Sep 22 2011, 03:55 PM) *
I like the new update ideas. It would also be nice to be able to upload more than five files at a time. I'm thinking of TV series that would have a cover and then 6-7 discs for that season. It would be nice to be able to upload them all at once.

This is a configuration option, set by member group. I set everyone to 10 (max allowed) except for subscribers and members, they are 5 and 3 respectively.

IPB

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Sep 23 2011, 01:36 AM
Post #16

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

King Kong by Dweez

I'm still getting all my specifications down on paper (a lot is still just in my head). I just wrote up the specs for some upload rules, so here they are. Once again, I'm still in the design phase on this, so if you have ideas, suggestions, etc, please feel free to speak up.

UPLOAD RULES:
You can specify default values for all new fields. In addition, some fields have an option for “examine filename”. When the site is looking for “codes” in the filename, each code must be bound by separators, either “(code)”, “_code_”, or “_code.jpg” (or other file extension).

Codes (note, none of the codes are case sensitive, so (ntsc) is the same as (NTSC) and (NtsC):
Language: Put the entire language string (correct spelling according to the list) between separators.
Region: R# or REGION#. The letter R followed by the region number, or the word region followed by the region number.
Format: NTSC or PAL.
Clean: The word CLEAN.
3D: 3D
Season: S# or SEASON#.
Disc Number: D# or DISC#.

One additional note: Selecting “Clean” (or specifying in the filename) will automatically clear Format and Region. So, for instance, if you upload NTSC and Clean artwork, you can set your default Format to NTSC. Then specify “(clean)” in the filenames of the clean versions. There would be no need to specify NTSC on the other versions, since that is your default. When the clean filename is parsed, it will set the clean flag, and set both Format and Region to blank.

IPB

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Sep 23 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #17

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

I'm replying just so it doesn't look like you're talking to yourself, buddy!

I have no qualms about anything you're planning... it all sounds great!!! 8824.gif 8824.gif 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

venome
post Sep 23 2011, 02:53 AM
Post #18

Master Designer
Group Icon

Coverart: 100

hehe i'm still kinda unfimilar with the gallery features fubs, but it sounds like your gonna make them even better 8824.gif

+Quote Post

Nightrider
post Sep 23 2011, 07:05 AM
Post #19

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Advanced Designer

Coverart: 155

To Hard To Choose, I Like Lots

Gee thats a lot to read, can't I just search for something about it? babydance.gif

IPB
It's all uphill til you get to the top

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Sep 23 2011, 12:07 PM
Post #20

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,491
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

I'm a simple guy, I just search a valid title, what irritates me is searching title specific, and getting results of all titles with a (part of the title) word from multiple covers thus showing unrelated covers, like search for Texas chainsaw massacre and getting every cover with the word texas in it and having to search through pages of unrelated covers,hehe...did that make sense, what am I replying too, hehe

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · General Site News · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 04:13 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS