Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
Sorata
post Oct 8 2019, 02:41 AM
Post #1

New to the scene
Group Icon

Group: Subscriber

Coverart: 14

Hi all, I've been working this template / cover it was inspired by Kaleigha I think they have vanished from the scene and I liked the style of cover and wanted to get a complete set of the Disney titles so, starting off with # 1 Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. I'm not crazy about the font on the Special features... I'm going to have to play around with that some and hopefully find something better. Suggestions are more than welcome. The yellows I would like a bit brighter, but the patterns I guess are making it darker. I'm learning more of PS and hopefully as time goes on or tips shared I will be able to improve on that skill. Let me know what you guys think, once I get this one locked down I will go and start pumping out all the other animated Disney movies.
Attached thumbnail(s)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Sorata For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Oct 8 2019, 04:48 AM
Post #2

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,628
HiRes Challenge

The honeycomb pattern has a superhero or sci-fi look to it.

I'd change that to something more Disney themed or generic, also not sure what the overlay in the blue is but I'd give the same advice on it.

This is just me but if I planned to invest time in making a entire set of covers, I'd spend some time in making the template more my own.

Several things could be improved on with this one in my opinion.

I know she put this out in the pubic domain for others to use, I assume to continue some of her series if others desired and it would be fine to retain the basic layout and concept but perhaps improve on some areas of it.

For example the rips are a little plain looking for me, that huge quote sort of dominates the back and probably is not necessary for a Disney set the films kind of speak for themselves, plus that space could be better used for expanding the graphics.

All that said if it suits you as is, then feel free to ignore all the above it's your cover set after all and welcome to the site.

8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Oct 8 2019, 11:41 AM
Post #3

Site Owner
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,023

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

What he said iamwithstupid.gif

I would definitely change the honeycomb pattern, and change the features text to a less wide font. Increase the spacing between the synopsis lines, and you can then reduce the critic quote some. And find a more realistic paper tear, and it is all good to go as a great and personal template.

But, even if you keep it as it is, it still looks really good 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 8 2019, 02:47 PM
Post #4

New to the scene
Group Icon

Thanks for the feedback, I know the fonts are wrong and I'm searching for the right one that looks good and can be spaced out properly. As the for the Honeycomb pattern I'm removing that and I think I found something that will work for sure it has the Disney tone to it. I'm changing the back up more. I dumped the quotes played with the paper tears some and swapped the main picture in the back. letting that take more focus. I'm more than likely planning on changing the whole area where the special features is as well, I'm just not feeling it at all it seems a bit out of place... So, more advice is greatly appreciated and I will keep working on this when I have free time.
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Sorata For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Oct 8 2019, 03:56 PM
Post #5

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

That's all moving in the right direction now.

Might try moving the features area up and letting it overlap the top rip some, then have the synopsis in a more rectangular area under it, where the features are now.

Maybe go for a pattern in the features background, I used a little Micky head in this example along with dark text to avoid the need for a drop shadow.

This is just a quick example, you can do a lot of things here, with a frame, without one, other shapes etc, this was really to show the layout with it moved up.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 8 2019, 07:04 PM
Post #6

New to the scene
Group Icon

Yes, I noticed the difference that made, I will need to learn to make frames better in the future since when I make them they just look off to me... So, I moved things up and around again, add the little mickey head to the features part and darkened the text I have two versions I put together, The 2nd sample looks a tad odd with they blue between the tears to me, maybe something could go in there or just abandon that one since too much is going on. But again, opinions on these would be helpful. Still looking for the better font to use I guess that would be last. All in all I think its coming along much better now.
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Sorata For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Oct 8 2019, 07:59 PM
Post #7

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

This is shaping up nicely 8834.gif I would try ctaulbee's idea with the floating features box

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 8 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE (Bazzah @ Oct 8 2019, 01:59 PM) *
This is shaping up nicely 8834.gif I would try ctaulbee's idea with the floating features box

Yeah, I will try that next, once I can make a feature box that I like, I need to basically need to learn how to make a proper frame around the shape I choose for it. He made it look so easily haha then I tried and was utterly disappointed. I will keep looking for some kind of guide so I can make one and go from there.

Thanks for all the help so far.

+Quote Post

ctaulbee
post Oct 9 2019, 01:10 AM
Post #9

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

I posted the one I made to the Design Assets, it's a PSD and the background is editable, you can download it here Special Features Panel

8834.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 9 2019, 02:21 AM
Post #10

New to the scene
Group Icon

Very much appreciated! I was able to get it and make a bit of adjustments from what I've been learning. I have the two now I can pick from, either the page tear with the features menu or the floating features menu. Let me know what you guys think, seems things are almost there with this template. Very much appreciate the help and feedback given.
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Oct 9 2019, 10:34 AM
Post #11

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

Something else you could consider, to fill that dead space either side of the synopsis

IPB

+Quote Post

Sorata
post Oct 9 2019, 12:22 PM
Post #12

New to the scene
Group Icon

Yes, I took your ideal and replaced Mickey adding the old hag instead to go with the Snow White Theme. Which I can easily replace with other characters for the other film titles when I start getting them all set up. Thanks for your suggestion, Just looking at the first draft and this one it for sure has come a long ways.

Thanks for all you guys help.
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Oct 9 2019, 12:57 PM
Post #13

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

You're welcome 8834.gif It has shaped up nicely

IPB

+Quote Post

cas
post Oct 9 2019, 01:08 PM
Post #14

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

it look very cool out looking forward to see more, when you get to the spine any chance you will make the year of the movie on the spine in stad of the number, not all countries have th same numbering

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To cas For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 9 2019, 07:01 PM
Post #15

New to the scene
Group Icon

I think I will be sticking to the numbering of the titles from their release dates.

So, here is the full cover. - I will consider making matching labels for them soon as well.
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

ctaulbee
post Oct 9 2019, 07:12 PM
Post #16

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

On the logos, I remove the drop shadow on the rating, looks odd to have that on just one.

Then reduce the size of the Dolby logo, it's kind of big should be more inline with the dts logo size.

Then you should make them all the dark blue like the region logo so they contrast good.

In fact I'd overlay the dark blue color on the technicolor and dts logos too and not have any multi colored logos, think it would be better if they were all uniform in color and somewhat proportional in size.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Sorata, VincentLupo

Sorata
post Oct 9 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #17

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE (ctaulbee @ Oct 9 2019, 01:12 PM) *
On the logos, I remove the drop shadow on the rating, looks odd to have that on just one.

Then reduce the size of the Dolby logo, it's kind of big should be more inline with the dts logo size.

Then you should make them all the dark blue like the region logo so they contrast good.

In fact I'd overlay the dark blue color on the technicolor and dts logos too and not have any multi colored logos, think it would be better if they were all uniform in color and somewhat proportional in size.

I didn't even notice the rating has a drop shadow haha, good eye there. It was imbedded in the image so I just replaced it with a new Rating logo and this one is free from the drop shadow, Everything is now the same color and shrunk the Dolby logo some.

This post has been edited by Sorata: Oct 9 2019, 07:38 PM
Attached thumbnail(s)

+Quote Post

sauron
post Oct 9 2019, 07:37 PM
Post #18

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 148

I like what you have got and I’m not sure of the templates Kaleigha created but the bits I’ve circled in red bother me as it’s dead space. You could try making the tear effect straight like the one at the bottom to fix the space between the rip and the SF.

Attached Image

The synopsis font doesn’t really go with the rest of the text on the cover, I personally would change it to a sans-serif font rather than a serif font.

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To sauron For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Sorata, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Oct 9 2019, 08:20 PM
Post #19

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

Logos look good now 8834.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, sauron, Sorata, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Oct 9 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #20

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

It is a great looking template now thumb.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Sorata, VincentLupo

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Closed WIP's · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 14th October 2019 - 10:54 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS