Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
chazz
post Mar 20 2013, 01:15 AM
Post #1

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 1,062

For awhile now it seems that when I search for a cover of a recent movie I cannot find it in English.
It's good that many languages are represented but not so good that English covers are not being up-loaded, as in the past, forcing me to go elsewhere.
On these "elsewhere" sites I find several up-loaders, who used to up-load to this site, up-loading covers to that site but not this one any longer.
I know of one up-loader, for sure, who always up-loaded in several languages has sense dropped English completely.
It is just me or has anyone else noted this trend.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Mar 20 2013, 01:32 AM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

What covers are you looking for specifically that are NOT in English? You talk vaguely of movies, sites, and uploaders, but without being more specific, I think you'll have a difficult time getting help with your question.

From what I can see, the majority of covers in our gallery are English-language covers, and one of the site's rules is that all posts in forums must be in English, since that is the predominant language amongst site users. So I am somewhat confused by your claims that HiResCovers is not sufficiently representing the English language.

Please elaborate so that the members of this site can further assist you. Thanks. 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

chazz
post Mar 21 2013, 01:26 AM
Post #3

Valued Member
Group Icon

Argo & Hitchcock for example. Both are new and significant releases but no English covers.
I am vague on the sites as I understand I cannot mention actual sites here. If you want, I can. Same goes for up-loaders.
Your rule of English only covers the forums.
Yes the majority of older covers in the gallery are in English but take a look at the recent uploads and you will see more and more are not English.
That is my point.

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Mar 21 2013, 01:49 AM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 54

My Favorite Cover Designer:
ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

Well... you're talking about two recent movies and it's natural that the number of covers already available here is not much. Main reason? Maybe because we don't do and we don't suport bootlegs and every designer respects the correct info of the movie (legal, extras, specs, etc).

I'm curious to know what's your definition of old covers... but if you want so bad a cover for those movies why don't you do a request instead of claiming here?

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills
and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

JollyRoger
post Mar 21 2013, 02:09 PM
Post #5

Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Group Icon

Coverart: 408

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Million Dollar Baby by Arkflip

Tim Gengler

A request instead of a rant would be more productive 8834.gif

IPB
A designer knows he has achieved perfection - not when there's nothing left to add - but when there's nothing left to take away

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Mar 21 2013, 03:12 PM
Post #6

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

Coverart: 486
King Kong by Dweez

UNBELIEVABLE! A valued member of our community is noticing a trend about new content being posted on our site. So he posts a well intentioned and polite message about that trend. Two moderators respond, and both of you slam him FOR ASKING THIS QUESTION?! He made every effort to follow site rules including 1) posting to the correct area of the forums, and 2) not mentioning other sites by name. Nothing about his question or follow up was a "rant", and the two movies he mentioned have retail releases!

It makes me ashamed to be associated with this site! That is NOT how we treat our members!

IPB

+Quote Post

Zungam
post Mar 21 2013, 03:25 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 107

The main reason there are few Argo covers here is that Argo is one of two movies to choose from in the upcoming Battle Royale III (big cover competition involving several custom cover sites).

In a couple of weeks, when the competition has ended, you'll have numerous of excellent covers for Argo to choose from 8834.gif

Why there are more and more covers in other languages I don't know, and I haven't really thought about it till now shrug.gif

+Quote Post

JollyRoger
post Mar 21 2013, 04:00 PM
Post #8

Group Icon

Tim Gengler

I'm sorry Fubs, not meaning to flame anyone. I just meant that posting a request for a release would make the chance of us as a site being able to provide the member with what he needs greater. 'Rant' was perhaps a too strong word, sorry for that. 8834.gif

IPB
A designer knows he has achieved perfection - not when there's nothing left to add - but when there's nothing left to take away

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Mar 21 2013, 04:11 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

I don't believe i treated that bad our member.. like Jakob said i think a request is a better option so chazz can get the covers wanted. But i don't think the recent stuff is that old, that's why i said i was curious to know what covers are being classified as old by chazz.

I'm sorry if you are ashamed of my post, but it wasn't my intention to be rude with anyone.

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills
and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post Mar 21 2013, 04:58 PM
Post #10

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Coverart: 369

QUOTE (chazz @ Mar 20 2013, 09:26 PM) *
Argo & Hitchcock for example.

Hitchcock seems like the kind of movie that needs a little time for people to see it on DVD/Blu-ray. The same is true for a movie like Lincoln or Life of Pi. Especially in cases where the retail cover is already nice-looking, it takes a while before someone sees the film, loves it, and decides to create their own original representation.

Super hero movies, action movies with great resources, and highly-anticipated movies with built-in fan bases (Django Unchained), usually get a few designers' creativity flowing before they're even released. Unfortunately, most other titles need time for designers to discover them.

I think the trend of seeing less covers early is partially due to the studios stepping up their design quality. For instance, it's going to take a very motivated custom cover designer to want to go up against the awe-inspiring retail covers of Life of Pi. Whereas, other countries might have different designs or a lot of intrusive text that will inspire someone to create an alternative.

QUOTE (Zungam @ Mar 21 2013, 11:25 AM) *
In a couple of weeks, when the competition has ended, you'll have numerous of excellent covers for Argo to choose from 8834.gif

This man speaks the truth. cheers.gif

+Quote Post

Fubster
post Mar 21 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #11

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

Coverart: 486
King Kong by Dweez

@JR & @Ark - Thank you. As representatives of the site, I think we need to be mindful that we don't discourage our members from asking the questions that they find important. And reading his posts, it sounds like he didn't have a request, because he found the cover "somewhere else". That is what is disturbing to me - because I don't want our members going somewhere else - eventually they will stop coming here.

Chazz - can you please PM me the other sites and the uploaders you mentioned?

I have a theory that I want to explore - and it goes something like this: we are much more quality conscious than other sites, and probably reject more uploads than any other cover site. Cover "uploaders", who are interested in getting the covers up quickly for new movies, are far less interested in quality, and I suspect that such people eventually get frustrated by having their covers rejected here, and thus stop uploading here. That would be a natural outcome of our quality standards. If my research supports this theory, I'll let you know.

Thanks!

IPB

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Mar 21 2013, 05:58 PM
Post #12

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

First off, thanks for providing a bit more detail about your concern. 8824.gif

I agree with Bunny Dojo. Certain genres of films tend to receive custom treatment faster than others. Dramas, for one reason or another, tend to take a bit longer until designers view them and make a cover for them. As for why some are receiving foreign-language covers before English, well... I really have no clue on that. shrug.gif

Personally, I don't get to see as many movies in theaters anymore, so I wait for Blu-ray until I have a chance to watch them. For the ones that I particularly enjoy, like Cabin in the Woods, I might decide to make a cover for them. From the time of retail release to the time I finish the cover, it might take anywhere from several days to several months, based on the amount of free time I have to produce the cover. In some cases, like Bunny pointed out, I might have anticipation for a film that prompts me to make a cover for it before seeing it (like Iron Man 3). However, in these instances, I then have to go back and update the cover with proper retail features and disc specs, which can be a nuisance at times. Most designers prefer to have all of that information before starting the cover, which is probably why many wait until after the DVD/Blu-ray release to create their covers.

As Arkflip mentioned, we don't want to encourage piracy and making covers for films that don't have official releases tends to help out the pirates by providing them with nice, hi-res covers for their bootleg films. I'm not sure how this correlates to foreign-language vs. English versions of covers, but from my understanding, foreign markets - particularly China - deal heavier in bootlegs than English-speaking countries (although I have no source to support this).

Regardless of the reasoning, it is important to remember that the designers here - and at other sites - make what they what to make. We have no obligation or requirement to produce covers so that they are ready for "new release week" or for any particular language. The covers in our gallery are produced by people who volunteer to contribute covers so that others can enjoy them. If an English cover for a "new" film doesn't exist, there usually isn't much more of a reason other than a designer simply hasn't gotten to it yet. Like others said, the best way to rectify this is to make a request... usually a kind soul will generously offer to make that cover for you.

I hope I've helped to answer your question. 8824.gif 8824.gif 8824.gif

This post has been edited by kernie82: Mar 21 2013, 06:01 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Mar 21 2013, 06:03 PM
Post #13

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 178

Platoon by Ivan Urikov

Ivan Urikov

QUOTE (chazz @ Mar 20 2013, 01:15 AM) *
For awhile now it seems that when I search for a cover of a recent movie I cannot find it in English.
It's good that many languages are represented but not so good that English covers are not being up-loaded, as in the past, forcing me to go elsewhere.
On these "elsewhere" sites I find several up-loaders, who used to up-load to this site, up-loading covers to that site but not this one any longer.
I know of one up-loader, for sure, who always up-loaded in several languages has sense dropped English completely.
It is just me or has anyone else noted this trend.

Funny enough Chazz if you are talking about R6 covers......they have gone cover crazy.
Chinese movie covers are much the same as in the US and UK.......Authentic, Custom and plain ole Bootleg!!
But, these guys are very quick off the mark because real money can be had....It is very likely that covers are being made even before the movie's hit the cinema.
I can give you examples but, I won't 8824.gif

What I would say......if ever you want Ben Hur on Blu-Ray...try the Chinese version, they produce a Tin that Damien Hirst would be proud of!!! lol.gif lol.gif

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Mar 21 2013, 11:26 PM
Post #14

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,491
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

I used to do covers way out from release, then met a guy selling crap from the trunk of his car which supports all thats been said, As a designer thats a bad thing to see your work mass produced in such a way, needless to say I try not to do this anymore, for all the reasons above. Not to mention I only speak english, and as said before, english is this sites main language.

+Quote Post

Skar
post Mar 22 2013, 11:13 AM
Post #15

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 81

one new each day

[a lil bit off topic]

let's have a little talk about the french cover scene and the bad habit we have, the one that consists to be the first to make a cover for anykind of things, especially a not even in the theatre movie... i know (now) it's the stupidest way to make a cover but it's part of our policy and that won't change easily, because in a way it's also fun to try to make something without any ressources. The quality is less better than "english" cover made (even it begins to change and have better relative quality).

the french cover scene is mostly about two kind of people:
- the leechers that hardly want covers at any price not taking care of quality and precision about infos, but just want to have a cover about it, they are not patient and not understandfull for 95% of then.
- and the designers that want to be the first to do something to show off or to try to please people (the good stupid guy) and because it's an habit, only few do covers only for their own pleasure.

So to end my speech: english covers are less easier to have than any other (french) ones just because it's about the designers and not the people asking for a cover, that is why you'll not find highly good quality covers with all informations necessary for "recent" movies as easilly as french covers for example. (And you won't find those covers in english because french people do not speaks english and can't translate it whistle.gif) .

Bunny Dojo is right, english designers takes times to watch the movie, to check if all infos are avaible and will do a cover if the movie have pleased then... and it's the best way for everybody to do so.
Feel fortunate that leechers have not invaded a forum like yours, in France they are everywhere, rules the custom scene and it's a pity....

I don't think Chazzz is wrong asking, it's normal, i'd like to understand also why it's less easier to find english covers than other one, but this thinking leads to the dark side of custom, piracy and policy that goes with it... and better stay way out of it because designer will loose is love of making covers and get crushed by people asking for covers, this is how it's going with the french custom world since the beginning of it and there's not a lot of fun with it.
Designers turnover is huge just because making a custom in France is mostly making a cover for somebody and those somebodies are always asking more, it's also because "i want to be the first / number one" way of life. I've meet hundreds of french cover makers, really only few are still in for different reason, but less for their own fun, this is also why there's not a lot of french highly skilled designers, new generation have better basics but before only real designers (as The Fox) were able to do something great, others are amateurs that cannot evolve easily and because they are tired of it at a moment.
I just hope that english forums don't begin to enter this dark side...

i'm lucky to see two different way of life about covers, it will be also good to know how they are elsewhere...

This post has been edited by Skar: Mar 22 2013, 11:14 AM

IPB
"I have never tried to fu*k an apple pie, on the other hand I have already tried to skip school" RockyRama, talking about teen movies.

+Quote Post

chazz
post Mar 22 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #16

Valued Member
Group Icon

Fact is I did find both "Argo" and "Hitchcock" on another site. I came here first as this site used to be ahead of the game. Most of the time covers were posted here before the movie was released on DVD or BR. Both the aforementioned movies have been released but still no English covers, custom or scans, here. How do you reconcile that?
Other recent releases "Riddle", "Life of Pi", "Border Run" and I could go on. No English covers on this site but all can be found on other sites. Looks like a trend to me.
One site, which I contribute to, awards credits for my uploads which I use for downloads of covers or labels I want. On this site I have 9 pages of uploads and get nothing for it but a yearly bill. This may possibly be why some up-loaders upload to that site and do not bother to up-load to this site any longer.
I have contemplated that myself but I would rather share. I am not a graphics designer so I usually only make covers and labels that I need and cannot find elsewhere and figure someone else may also need them. I have belonged to this site long before it started charging a fee and have enjoyed it's quality and availability of covers for many years. IMHO - The quality is still there but the availability of covers seems to be less than in the past.

+Quote Post

JollyRoger
post Mar 22 2013, 10:56 PM
Post #17

Group Icon

Tim Gengler

So, in short - you think hires suxx the bullox and we didn't use to?

I am sorry to hear if I am hearing you correctly. sad.gif

I cannot say how other designers approach their work, but for me it has never been about upping the first cover for any title. I choose to design covers that I find interesting for one or the other reason. Perhaps other designers do that too, and don't care about 'meeting the quota of new releases this week', I dunno. But as I said, I'm sorry that you've come to feel that way about english language sites.

IPB

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Mar 22 2013, 11:01 PM
Post #18

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

I believe you already have the answer on our posts. Am i wrong? I don't think so.

You didn't replied to my question but here's another one. You said and lemme quote "One site, which I contribute to, awards credits for my uploads which I use for downloads of covers or labels I want. On this site I have 9 pages of uploads and get nothing for it but a yearly bill" (...) "I am not a graphics designer so I usually only make covers and labels that I need and cannot find elsewhere."

So my new question is: if you're not a designer and you only do covers for yourself i'm curious to know what covers are you uploading to that site. Only the ones you do for yourself? Or are you getting credits with someone else work?

IPB

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

chazz
post Mar 22 2013, 11:10 PM
Post #19

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (JollyRoger @ Mar 22 2013, 03:56 PM) *
So, in short - you think hires suxx the bullox and we didn't use to?

I am sorry to hear if I am hearing you correctly. sad.gif

I cannot say how other designers approach their work, but for me it has never been about upping the first cover for any title. I choose to design covers that I find interesting for one or the other reason. Perhaps other designers do that too, and don't care about 'meeting the quota of new releases this week', I dunno. But as I said, I'm sorry that you've come to feel that way about english language sites.

I only said that I see a trend of less English covers being posted here than elsewhere. How you come up with the other stuff is beyond me.

+Quote Post

chazz
post Mar 22 2013, 11:17 PM
Post #20

Valued Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Arkflip @ Mar 22 2013, 04:01 PM) *
I believe you already have the answer on our posts. Am i wrong? I don't think so.

You didn't replied to my question but here's another one. You said and lemme quote "One site, which I contribute to, awards credits for my uploads which I use for downloads of covers or labels I want. On this site I have 9 pages of uploads and get nothing for it but a yearly bill" (...) "I am not a graphics designer so I usually only make covers and labels that I need and cannot find elsewhere."

So my new question is: if you're not a designer and you only do covers for yourself i'm curious to know what covers are you uploading to that site. Only the ones you do for yourself? Or are you getting credits with someone else work?

Every cover I have up-loaded to the other site has been up-loaded to this site, and more. All the work is my own and I find it very offensive that you would suggest otherwise.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 01:40 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS