Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
RRJR84
post Apr 7 2016, 11:32 AM
Post #1

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 873

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Avengers - Kernie

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie

ok so i wanted some input, Ive been making covers for yrs but still one of my biggest problems as always been picking grounds for covers, especially when not using poster art. I usually just pick a color a texture and try working with that but I've not been 100% happy with that. how do u great artists go about making backgrounds for your covers ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Nightrider
post Apr 7 2016, 11:49 AM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Advanced Designer

Coverart: 153

To Hard To Choose, I Like Lots

Good question, I'll be interested in reading the replies

IPB
It's all uphill til you get to the top

+Quote Post

samppa
post Apr 7 2016, 12:57 PM
Post #3

HiRes Regular
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 60

It varies but usually i go the simple way with a gradient and som sort of texture.
Or like on this one i just used the flag of United States 8834.gif

Attached Image

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Apr 7 2016, 01:00 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 54

ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

Sam!! How can this be the first time i'm looking for the best front cover ever for American History X?

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills
and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

M0vieM0nster
post Apr 7 2016, 01:20 PM
Post #5

Cover Designer
Group Icon

Coverart: 62

I'm thinking the exact same thing as Filipe Sam?!

+Quote Post

Demonology
post Apr 7 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 180
The Wrestler By Samppa

EuroBoy

gotta say wow to the American History X front...

I use gradients textures like others.

but sometime i'll search google for texture backgrounds and tweak em aswell.

1 more thing i still can't take my eyes off that American History X front lol

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Apr 7 2016, 03:21 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 4,880
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

There's no one perfect answer to this question, as it varies from cover to cover and from film to film.

I try to think about the film itself, its theme, its subject matter, and its visuals. What aspects of the film do I want to represent on my cover?

Just some examples from my gallery...

Furious 7: Metal textures to suggest the cars, grunge stone to suggest the asphalt/streets, and a mix of contrasting cool/warm colors to relate to the film's somber/intense moments, respectively.

Hocus Pocus: Leather textures to suggest the spellbook, paper textures to suggest its pages, grunge textures to suggest the age of the 300-year-old witches. Browns and oranges to suggest the autumn setting. Purple skies to suggest a "magical" night sky. Green accents to indicate the magic/lightning seen in the film. The color scheme uses the secondary colors (orange, green, purple). Other witch-related imagery scattered throughout.

Cabin in the Woods: Grunge paper to suggest the old items in the cellar, particularly the diary. Browns and wooden texture to suggest the cabin itself. Reds and splatters to indicate blood and death. Hints of honeycomb patterns to hint at the "wall illusions" seen in the film.

Smokey and the Bandit: Metals to suggest cars. Grunge paper and maps to suggest the road trip/chase aspect of the film. Asphalt textures to suggest roads. Stars and stripes (and faded reds, whites, blues) to give a southern patriotic (and slightly confederate) vibe. Other car-related imagery (hubcaps, license plates) scattered throughout.

Scream: Grunge textures. Dark red skies to suggest blood/death/danger. Red slash lines to suggest stab wounds and blood trails. Shattered glass to suggest broken windows, chaotic lives. Also, glass being broken by a loud, piercing scream. Subtle TV static and film strips to relate to the movies within the movies aspect of the film.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to give different examples of how thinking about the in-depth details of a film can provide a lot of imagery and visuals to work with. 8824.gif

Best of luck! 8824.gif 8824.gif

This post has been edited by Kernie: Apr 7 2016, 03:29 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Apr 7 2016, 03:22 PM
Post #8

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 946
Cover Of The Month

All HiRes designers

Plus one for Google background textures, and then adjust colours/gradients etc. And plus one on that History X front!

IPB

+Quote Post

sauron
post Apr 7 2016, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 148

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 7 2016, 04:21 PM) *
There's no one perfect answer to this question, as it varies from cover to cover and from film to film.

I try to think about the film itself, its theme, its subject matter, and its visuals. What aspects of the film do I want to represent on my cover?

Just some examples from my gallery...

Furious 7: Metal textures to suggest the cars, grunge stone to suggest the asphalt/streets, and a mix of contrasting cool/warm colors to relate to the film's somber/intense moments, respectively.

Hocus Pocus: Leather textures to suggest the spellbook, paper textures to suggest its pages, grunge textures to suggest the age of the 300-year-old witches. Browns and oranges to suggest the autumn setting. Purple skies to suggest a "magical" night sky. Green accents to indicate the magic/lightning seen in the film. The color scheme uses the secondary colors (orange, green, purple). Other witch-related imagery scattered throughout.

Cabin in the Woods: Grunge paper to suggest the old items in the cellar, particularly the diary. Browns and wooden texture to suggest the cabin itself. Reds and splatters to indicate blood and death. Hints of honeycomb patterns to hint at the "wall illusions" seen in the film.

Smokey and the Bandit: Metals to suggest cars. Grunge paper and maps to suggest the road trip/chase aspect of the film. Asphalt textures to suggest roads. Stars and stripes (and faded reds, whites, blues) to give a southern patriotic (and slightly confederate) vibe. Other car-related imagery (hubcaps, license plates) scattered throughout.

Scream: Grunge textures. Dark red skies to suggest blood/death/danger. Red slash lines to suggest stab wounds and blood trails. Shattered glass to suggest broken windows, chaotic lives. Also, glass being broken by a loud, piercing scream. Subtle TV static and film strips to relate to the movies within the movies aspect of the film.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I wanted to give different examples of how thinking about the in-depth details of a film can provide a lot of imagery and visuals to work with. 8824.gif

Best of luck! 8824.gif 8824.gif

Really cool to see your insight on how you go about creating the great covers you do Kernie! Really interesting.

Also that American History X front cover is awesome!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Design Questions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 22nd July 2019 - 09:45 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS