Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
alienmem
post Apr 14 2017, 07:24 PM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Why are slipcases junk in my opnion. They're not junk on their own but almost all big studio slipcases have the exact same artwork as the interior slipcovers.

THis makes no SENSE!!!! No sense!!!

If you have the same fu**ing image on the inside and on the outise why fu**ing keep the outside?

I just throw them away.

there are some smaller companies in which, thank God, the slipcases are totally different than the slipcovers.

Like Black Swan, the retail comes with the same exact slipcase as the slipcover...Makes no sense to me.

Why? Can someone give me a plausible explanation why slipcases with the same art as the inside exist?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 1 Users Say Thank You To alienmem For This Post:
       VincentLupo

RookerDesigns
post Apr 14 2017, 08:12 PM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

My Favorite Custom Cover:
ALOT

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Everyone

They look nicer, make your collections look better. Specially when they are all lined up with other slipcases. Looks very clean. I love Slip Cases, and often won't buy a movie that was just released if it doesn't have one.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To RookerDesigns For This Post:
       ctaulbee, topmeasure, VincentLupo

Jazzy
post Apr 14 2017, 08:58 PM
Post #3

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

QUOTE (RookerDesigns @ Apr 14 2017, 04:12 PM) *
They look nicer, make your collections look better. Specially when they are all lined up with other slipcases. Looks very clean. I love Slip Cases, and often won't buy a movie that was just released if it doesn't have one.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To Jazzy For This Post:

Kernie
post Apr 14 2017, 09:33 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

QUOTE (alienmem @ Apr 14 2017, 03:24 PM) *
Why are slipcases junk in my opnion. They're not junk on their own but almost all big studio slipcases have the exact same artwork as the interior slipcovers.

THis makes no SENSE!!!! No sense!!!

If you have the same fu**ing image on the inside and on the outise why fu**ing keep the outside?

I just throw them away.

there are some smaller companies in which, thank God, the slipcases are totally different than the slipcovers.

Like Black Swan, the retail comes with the same exact slipcase as the slipcover...Makes no sense to me.

Why? Can someone give me a plausible explanation why slipcases with the same art as the inside exist?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/42.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/42.gif)

QUOTE (RookerDesigns @ Apr 14 2017, 04:12 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I'll also point out that slipcases generally allow for more vibrant color, spot gloss, embossing, foil stamping, and the occasional lenticular attachment. All things which give more "shelf appeal" to catch the eye of the casual shopper. Without a slipcover, consumers are often looking at cover art through two layers of clear plastic (the shrink-wrapping and the case insert), which, while still visible, can dull the artwork or result in some intrusive glare. Slipcovers also provide an additional layer of protection for the plastic cases during shipping and handling.

You are entitled to all of your own opinions, but I question the need for this thread. Especially when lillgrisen is posting an amazing thread that shows off how wonderful a collection can look when everything is housed inside of a nicely printed slip.

Seems to me like you're just trolling for an argument... or you feel you haven't spammed the homepage with enough threads today. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, topmeasure, VincentLupo

alienmem
post Apr 14 2017, 10:04 PM
Post #5

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

No. This isn't spam.

This is a real question.

Ok, I get the appeal of some that the slipcases are made out of a thickers card and have a glossier refinement. That's an argument in favor which while not relevant to me might be to some.

The question for me is about the art. Why do a slipcase that has the same art? The exact same art? Woudln't it be better to have an inside art and a complementary outside art?

Oh and this isn't about lillgrissen. He often, as much as I can tell, prints several different artwork for the same movie, which in my view makes perfect sense.

The topic title may be misleading. i'm not saying that slipcases are usless in gerneral. I'm saying that for me, if the yhave the same artwork as the inside what purpose do they serve. I already obtained one valid response from RookerDesigns which is totally comprehensible.

If that's the only purpose of a slipcase then ok. I'm not a fan if they have the same art. I sometimes keep the slipcase when i like the art and change the interior art. It's only a question of why have the same art twice.

+Quote Post

VincentLupo

Kernie
post Apr 14 2017, 10:24 PM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

I think Rooker and I both provided explanations for the purpose of slipcovers.

I think the point of the artwork being the same on both the slip and the insert is so that customers know that it is the same product. Let's say for example that I walk into a store and see the blu-ray for Star Wars: The Force Awakens on a shelf. Some of the copies have slipcovers, others do not. Because the artwork is the same on both, I can reasonably assume that they are the same exact product... one is just missing its slipcover for whatever reason.

Now, if I go into the store and see blu-rays for Star Wars: TFA with a slipcover and blu-rays for SW:TFA without a slipcover AND different art, I might get confused. Is one a special edition? Does one have more features? Is one blu-ray and the other 4K?

I think most of us visiting this site are some form of a collector. We tend to follow the release schedules and know exactly when a movie is coming to Blu-ray and the different editions that are being released. This is not true for the average shopper... so keeping the artwork the same has a benefit.

You are allowed to not like slipcovers. I personally don't care if you keep them or trash them. I like them and will always try to buy a blu-ray with a nice and intact slipcover.

Perhaps if you want to start an informative discussion or get a sensible response to a question, it would be best to not begin your thread by labelling something as "junk," using censored profanity, and acting as though your opinion is somehow an irrefutable fact... especially in a community of designers who tend to value artwork and printed materials of all kinds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       alienmem, Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, topmeasure

ctaulbee
post Apr 14 2017, 10:54 PM
Post #7

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 14 2017, 05:24 PM) *

I think the point of the artwork being the same on both the slip and the insert is so that customers known that it is the same product. Let's say for example that I walk into a store and see the blu-ray for Star Wars: The Force Awakens on a shelf. Some of the copies have slipcovers, others do not. Because the artwork is the same on both, I can reasonably assume that they are the same exact product... one is just missing its slipcover for whatever reason.

Now, if I go into the store and see blu-rays for Star Wars: TFA with a slipcover and blu-rays for SW:TFA without a slipcover AND different art, I might get confused. Is one a special edition? Does one have more features? Is one blu-ray and the other 4K?

I think most of us visiting this site are some form of a collector. We tend to follow the release schedules and known exactly when a movie is coming to Blu-ray and the different editions that are being released. This is not true for the average shopper... so keeping the artwork the same has a benefit.

You are allowed to not like slipcovers. I personally don't care if you keep them or trash them. I like them and will always try to buy a blu-ray with an nice and intact slipcover.

Perhaps if you want to start an informative discussion or get a sensible response to a question, it would be best to not begin your thread by labelling something as "junk," using censored profanity, and acting as though your opinion is somehow an irrefutable fact... especially in a community of designers who tend to value artwork and printed materials of all kinds.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/8824.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yeahthat.gif)

IPB

To View my covers click the spine image, if you download my work please leave me a comment, thanks.

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, sauron, topmeasure, VincentLupo

VincentLupo
post Apr 15 2017, 12:54 AM
Post #8

New to the scene
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 14 2017, 03:24 PM) *

I think the point of the artwork being the same on both the slip and the insert is so that customers know that it is the same product. Let's say for example that I walk into a store and see the blu-ray for Star Wars: The Force Awakens on a shelf. Some of the copies have slipcovers, others do not. Because the artwork is the same on both, I can reasonably assume that they are the same exact product... one is just missing its slipcover for whatever reason.

I think most of us visiting this site are some form of a collector. We tend to follow the release schedules and know exactly when a movie is coming to Blu-ray and the different editions that are being released. This is not true for the average shopper... so keeping the artwork the same has a benefit.

You are allowed to not like slipcovers. I personally don't care if you keep them or trash them. I like them and will always try to buy a blu-ray with a nice and intact slipcover.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To VincentLupo For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, topmeasure

Jazzy
post Apr 15 2017, 03:04 AM
Post #9

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To Jazzy For This Post:

Arkflip
post Apr 15 2017, 06:13 AM
Post #10

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Retired Master Designer

My Favorite Cover Designer:
ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 14 2017, 11:24 PM) *

Touché! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_cool.gif)

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Arkflip For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, sauron, topmeasure, VincentLupo

sauron
post Apr 15 2017, 11:09 AM
Post #11

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 14 2017, 10:24 PM) *

(IMG:http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/cheering-clapping-smiley-emoticon.gif)

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To sauron For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, topmeasure, VincentLupo

alienmem
post Apr 15 2017, 11:20 AM
Post #12

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kernie @ Apr 14 2017, 11:24 PM) *

Now that makes perfect sense!! Now I'm convinced. Thank you.

Ah, that's just the way I vent out my frustration or disagreement. Ido talk like that a lot when I'm with friends. I mean no harm(in the profanity) and the junk thing is just for a thread with more appeal (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon_eek.gif)

+Quote Post

VincentLupo

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Mayhem · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 26th April 2017 - 05:35 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS