Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
Fubster
post Jun 21 2010, 02:54 PM
Post #1

ex-Code Monkey
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 486
My Favorite Custom Cover:
King Kong by Dweez

About an hour after I posted today's HLC competition, I checked the progress...then clicked on the thumbnail for the leader, and it had 0 Previews! Second place...0 Previews! And on it went. 7 people had voted - AND locked down their votes, and none had even looked at the preview image, everyone had voted based upon a thumbnail that is only 120x120.

I was reminded of this post by dreg14...
QUOTE (dreg14 @ May 26 2010, 03:28 PM) *
...The sad part is that 60% of the people are voting on the thumbnails, 30% on the preview and only 10% on the full resolution...

At this point I realized that I had the gallery items in a private album and no one COULD see the previews. That has now been rectified. But...why didn't someone speak up?

So, it got me to thinking, I remembered dreg14's comment, and I'm trying to figure out if something needs to be done. Because, I can do something.

For instance - I can make it so that you must preview all the items before voting. Or even view the fullsize image (of course that means regular members would never be allowed to vote). I could make the requirement 1/2 of the items. I could make the requirement check before lockdown instead of just voting, and have non-lockdown votes carry less weight.

Bottom line, I have a LOT of flexibility, and I would like to hear your opinion, please.

IPB
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Jaldomar
post Jun 21 2010, 03:04 PM
Post #2

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 42

is actually sad!!!

i would go for the first option.
force people to preview the work!!

A cover shouldn't be vote cos ONLY how cool does look, but more on quality on the work, creativity, mistakes, (which unfortunately are many sad.gif ), etc....

of course that just my 2 cents :O...
personally i love small details, and really keen on that!!..

cheers.
Javier

This post has been edited by Jaldomar: Jun 21 2010, 05:01 PM

IPB
---
Creativity is allowing oneself to make mistakes, Art is knowing which ones to keep!!

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Jun 21 2010, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,033

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

I think that the minimum requirement is that they have viewed the full sized image. I realise that means standard members cannot vote then, but most of the voting is done by advanced members anyway. My reasons for suggesting members view full sized images, is because you can not judge all elements on a cover or label from a thumbnail. While you may be able to judge overall design, colour usage etc, you are unable to determine the quality of masking, etc etc from a thumbnail. Also, it is a perk of being an advanced member 8834.gif And for the record, I had seen the full sized images before voting, as they were emailed to me winking.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

jcdesign
post Jun 21 2010, 03:32 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 152

Avengers - 2015 by Kernie

Kernie

You might use text and link to the full-resolution cover. Or just a small image and link to full resolution!

+Quote Post

mikezomaar
post Jun 21 2010, 04:00 PM
Post #5

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 52

I download all entered covers most times, but I thinks forcing everyone to download all covers full size individually will decrease the numbers of voters a lot. Maybe using previews (preview action) instead of the thumbnails, like the old survey is a compromise worth considering, maybe even enlarge the previews a bit.

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Jun 21 2010, 04:20 PM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,491
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

yes yes and yes, full previews please. the hrc requires comments, which is silly when u r viewing for competitions, and no previews didn't work for the labels and I as well as others got lazy, sorry. Beat me with a noodle please.............please, hehe

+Quote Post

felipe-11
post Jun 21 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #7

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 81

Don't know about full-res, but they sure should at least preview it in the gallery, the thumbnails are way too small for a "proper" vote.

IPB

+Quote Post

dreg14
post Jun 21 2010, 09:04 PM
Post #8

Label Designer
Group Icon

Coverart: 372

Thanks for listening Fubster banana.gif I agree with Bazzah .... full image. The other 2 will never show all the detail that went into the cover or label.

+Quote Post

invisigoth
post Jun 21 2010, 10:50 PM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 93

There are too many..

I think at the very least a preview "page" as opposed to the gallery, maybe with the covers shown like they are in the Showcase area with Baz's photoshop action..Then that way most members would still be able to vote. Granted you still couldn't see fine detail like full size but it would be a big improvement over the gallery sized ones.

Maybe set it up so that if they clicked on a thumb on the hi res comp page it would bring them to a locked preview page on the forum.

This post has been edited by invisigoth: Jun 22 2010, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post

M0vieM0nster
post Jun 22 2010, 12:18 AM
Post #10

Cover Designer
Group Icon

Coverart: 62

I agree that voters should at least take the time to view the entries properly as i do my best to with my restrictions however full size viewing would include members such as myself being unable to vote! That's unfair as i love viewing and voting and even entering where possible which i'm sure will be more often from now on but still. I'm sorry to say but i am not sure i have the time to abide by the terms an conditions of proving myself so to speak and terefore being a member wth tha access but that doesnt mean i can't contribute so why should i lose my vote?

+Quote Post

MrHenryDog
post Jun 22 2010, 06:36 AM
Post #11

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 611

L.A. Confidential by Kaleigha

sadly you have always had this issue with all the comps, most voting is based on the preview. I can think of a couple of covers from past compitions that I think wouldn't have got a vote if the member had bothered to view it full size, so I would like you to do that for all voting Fubs.

IPB
Sorry for my English, i'm from Leicester innit?

+Quote Post

Nightrider
post Jun 22 2010, 06:57 AM
Post #12

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Advanced Designer

Coverart: 155

To Hard To Choose, I Like Lots

Yeash some kind of preview page where maybe not full res but at least half could work, I admit I don't always download them to vote, but I click on them to get the larger preview when it seems a tough choice, cause a lot of times I see my top 3 pics straight away and vote.

IPB
It's all uphill til you get to the top

+Quote Post

batboysmatboy
post Jun 22 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #13

Cover Thief Detector
Group Icon

A combination of suggestions may work.

Entries go into a special directory where they cannot be downloaded, the "right click" of the mouse is disabled, and the full size is bigger than the window (no cutting tool). This helps keep leechers and thieves away

Then before the vote can be cast, the voter must view the "full" size image.

As you said Fubster:

Bottom line, I have a LOT of flexibility

So you may be able to do something like this.

IPB

+Quote Post

Irrob
post Jun 22 2010, 09:38 PM
Post #14

Retired
Group Icon

Coverart: 263

Bunny Dojo

You can't force people to look at things, best you can do is suggest, if you add a restriction like any of the above then members will simply click the DL link or whatever other thing they "are forced to do" in order to remove the restriction and then they "will not look at them" and vote how they choose.

Bottom line, if you want entries dissected thoroughly, you'll have to appoint a panel of judges each month.. Otherwise I say live with what you got cause it ain't a disaster as is. 8834.gif

+Quote Post

Arkflip
post Jun 22 2010, 09:59 PM
Post #15

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 54

ShokXoneStudios; BunnyDojo

I remember Bunny had a java system implemented on his site that previewed the cover with a decent size and perhaps you can try to implement it here.
Maybe he can explain you better.

IPB
Practice custom Blu-Ray covers, DVD covers and other stuff designs are displayed solely for the purpose of demonstrating design skills
and are no way intended to infringe upon the copyrights of the owners of the respective images with which they were designed.

Thank you for reading.

+Quote Post

donger
post Jun 22 2010, 10:06 PM
Post #16

Label Guru
Group Icon

Coverart: 3,539

I don't mind the vote as is. I can glean a lot about the design with the small preview and after I've made my initial selection then I blow them up larger to review them further.

But for labels I'd like to see them presented using the label preview action so they look like discs. I watermark all of my labels and having it available without the watermark bothers me to a certain extent. If it was presented as a disc that bother would be gone.

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post Jun 23 2010, 01:07 AM
Post #17

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 367

I think you can judge pretty well based on the small previews (and can always look closer, if concerned). Nobody's perfect, I know I spot things months or years after the fact on my own covers, and it rarely affects my enthusiasm for the design itself.

It's all in good fun, and no matter what you end up doing people are going to complain. 8824.gif The benefit of the current method is it allows the largest number of people to enjoy voting. Any of the other options is cool with me, of course, and each has its own positives.

QUOTE (Arkflip @ Jun 22 2010, 05:59 PM) *
I remember Bunny had a java system implemented on his site that previewed the cover with a decent size and perhaps you can try to implement it here.
Maybe he can explain you better.
It's kind of just a glorified mid-size preview -- http://www.bunnydojo.com/Practice/DVDCovers.php

This post has been edited by Bunny Dojo: Jun 24 2010, 05:23 AM

+Quote Post

voetzoeker
post Jun 23 2010, 03:11 PM
Post #18

That Dutch Dude
Group Icon

Coverart: 267

Big T In Little C by dweez

dweez

The best way for me to judge the covers are the preview first, and then most of the time, i go to the bigger view for better judging and in the last place i go to the full-res image if the judging is real close, but i never download all hires images sad.gif

But maybe the best way to go, is bigger images in the comp topic or the preview like bunny has on his site.

If we decide to go with the full-res option, i think that the full-res version should be available to all members that vote, as long as the comp runs 8824.gif
Although i'm not sure if that's possible to program ?

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 08:49 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS