Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
simon110574
post Apr 22 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #1

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 43

Hi.....
I've been a member here for a little while now.My first point is..if someone requests a cover or label and they don't like what youve done in reply then say something like "thanks for the effort but it's not for me" it's better than shooting someone down in flames.

Secondly.i dont know if it's been suggested before but i think it would be a cool idea if the site could have a most improved artist for the year award.I personally have come on leaps and bound mainly due to the help received here.

Thanks
simon110574
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

kylumi
post Apr 22 2010, 11:38 AM
Post #2

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 178

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Platoon by Ivan Urikov

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Ivan Urikov

Good points Si m8..... thumb.gif

I am awarding you the coveted "Most Improved Artist of the Year" award....congratulations and well done!

+Quote Post

simon110574
post Apr 22 2010, 11:49 AM
Post #3

Valued Member
Group Icon

Thanks Kylumi mate....
The award was gratefully received babydance.gif

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Apr 22 2010, 12:46 PM
Post #4

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 4,938
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

I'm not opposed to a "Most Improved Artist of the Year" award, but my question is how would you measure improvement? Improvement is kind of subjective, so you'd need to establish some objective criteria by which to judge whether or not an artist has "improved."

Otherwise, I'm open to it.

And I totally agree with you about the request thing. Some members here act like the designers are here to serve orders. We work hard and put a lot of time into our covers (and we do it for free, no less), so for a filled request to be met with insults and offensive criticism is absolutely rude and ungrateful, to say the least. Depending on the way this person "shot you down in flames" (i.e. foul language, degrading remarks), I would recommend reporting the incident to a moderator. No member should tear apart a designer's work because a requested cover did not live up to their expectations.

IPB

+Quote Post

batboysmatboy
post Apr 22 2010, 01:12 PM
Post #5

Cover Thief Detector
Group Icon

Not being a Designer but being on the other side of a request, my take on it is this:

If the requester doesn't like what was done for them it is no reason to not be gracious, polite, and conduct themselves with the proper decorum. As simon says (, do this. Sorry, I couldn't resist), something along the lines of "Thanks for the effort but it's not for me" is the least that the requester could do.

A favor is a favor and because you don't like the outcome, you should not diminish the effort put into it. Plus there is a very easy way to "teach" the unmannered some manners, make it their last filled request.

This post has been edited by batboysmatboy: Apr 22 2010, 01:13 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post Apr 22 2010, 02:01 PM
Post #6

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Coverart: 113
The Lovely Bones by Venome

I completely agree, I wasn't to impressed over comments made in requests saying they didn't like what was on here, at least say it so as not to insult the person whose work in on the site. Just because you make a request doesn't mean that someone will fill it.

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Apr 22 2010, 03:54 PM
Post #7

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 988

All HiRes designers

I like the way irrob put it...

You catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

IPB

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post Apr 22 2010, 05:32 PM
Post #8

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Coverart: 363
Label Of The Month

QUOTE (batboysmatboy @ Apr 22 2010, 09:12 AM) *
Plus there is a very easy way to "teach" the unmannered some manners, make it their last filled request.
I just noticed the other day that you can rate users out of five stars when you look at their profile. All I've seen are people with no ratings or people with 5-star ratings. It's a cool idea, but it's easy to understand why the system isn't used too much, since anyone with less than 5 would be sad. Maybe this would be an easy way of 'blackballing' people who aren't very gracious? The designer could mouse over, see the rating, and know to temper their expectations. And people who are unkind in their responses probably wouldn't care about (or even notice) the rating, but would likely be very angry if they were completely unable to make new requests. Plus, nice designers could always give them a second chance.

It seems like a decent use of a system that isn't really being used too much at the moment. It's just one option, of course.

+Quote Post

chefjoe
post Apr 22 2010, 05:47 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,491
Kernie's Comic Set WOW!

umi & nini

I agree with everyone's comments here, I know I've filled many requests on the basis that if they (Requestee) work with me in the wip, so that they get what they'd like, unfortunately most don't want to bother with that time, needless to say I don't do that many anymore.

+Quote Post

Paris
post Apr 23 2010, 01:36 AM
Post #10

Cover Designer
Group Icon

Coverart: 91
Friday the 13th by Samppa

Euroboy, Samppa, Bunny Dojo

I think that not everyone will be satisfied with what is given, and if they don't like it they should make their own though the wip guided by our cover designers in order to make what they truely want

IPB
My gallery: HERE

+Quote Post

Sens
post Apr 23 2010, 08:42 AM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 57

Firefly by SXS

B3AR, Dweez and SXS

I'm with bbsb on this one as well.

+Quote Post

Kelv
post Apr 23 2010, 12:37 PM
Post #12

Valued Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 292

I can't understand some people. Slating people' hard work is not nice at all. Hours & hours can be spent doing covers and it makes it worse when you're filling a request for someone, which means you've probably put something else aside and given them a few hours of your time to do THEM a favour.

If they don't like it, they don't have to use it, but at least they could thank you for your time & effort.

I read the comments and there was no need for them. He could still have thanked simon for his time and i personally wouldn't fill any requests he might make in the future.

Nuff said. sad.gif

IPB
There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self.

+Quote Post

batboysmatboy
post Apr 23 2010, 02:30 PM
Post #13

Cover Thief Detector
Group Icon

QUOTE (Kelv @ Apr 23 2010, 07:37 AM) *
I can't understand some people. Slating people' hard work is not nice at all. Hours & hours can be spent doing covers and it makes it worse when you're filling a request for someone, which means you've probably put something else aside and given them a few hours of your time to do THEM a favour.

If they don't like it, they don't have to use it, but at least they could thank you for your time & effort.

I read the comments and there was no need for them. He could still have thanked simon for his time and i personally wouldn't fill any requests he might make in the future.

Nuff said. sad.gif

I had assumed (never assume) simon was discussing a general situation. Seeing this post, I know realize it was a specific case where simon's art and efforts were totally disrespected.

So as people who know me know I am a man of few words (yeah right), I have the following to say

Instead of something like "not a fan of the ones available" how about "I'm looking for something like"

Instead of something like "are there none out there that look like the retail cover" how about "I appreciate the time and effort you invested in making this for me, however I was looking for something closer to the retail (or in the above example say "I'm looking for something like the retail. Custom, but in line with the retail version")

Finally, "would you use that one? don't think so". I will be truthful. I don't own the movie, don't have Blu-ray, and would not have requested a cover. My request would have been for a label and if the label was similar in style and artistic vision as this cover is, damn right I would use it and thank simon also for his time, effort, and work of art.

Some people need etiquette lessons

Nice cover simon. Like your artistic vision on this one.

IPB

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Apr 23 2010, 02:57 PM
Post #14

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 4,938
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

It seems like the offender-in-question prefers covers "like the retail," I'd recommend pointing him to freecovers.net or cdcovers.cc if he wants retail scans rather than wasting designers' valuable time making a retail-like custom that he will eventually insult and be ungrateful for. That, or he can make them himself like nikerun suggested... 8824.gif 8824.gif 8824.gif

What's the point of making a custom that's visually similar to the retail version anyway?

This post has been edited by kernie82: Apr 23 2010, 02:58 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post Apr 23 2010, 03:55 PM
Post #15

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Coverart: 113
The Lovely Bones by Venome

I completely agree Kernie, but a custom cover prints out much better then a scan can b/c of the type of resources used. Thats what i did for my Supernatural Blurays winking.gif but i do see your point.

The same guy in questions slammed my labels too, now they may not be the best out there, and not for everyone, at least give some constructive criticism not that they aren't any good. How does that help someone improve anyways?

Rant done tongue2.gif

+Quote Post

jcdesign
post Apr 23 2010, 08:22 PM
Post #16

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 152

Avengers - 2015 by Kernie

Kernie

QUOTE (Bazzah @ Apr 22 2010, 04:54 PM) *
I like the way irrob put it...

The guy needs a kick in his a$$ and warning when he is so cheeky. Or else he can buy the Law Abiding Citizen movie.

+Quote Post

simon110574
post Apr 24 2010, 08:36 AM
Post #17

Valued Member
Group Icon

Thanks for all your views guys.I don't mind being criticized as long as it is constructive.I would again like to thank everyone here that take the time to help people like me in my artwork. cheers.gif

+Quote Post

Jpeg
post Apr 24 2010, 09:30 AM
Post #18

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 472

Just send them to Amazon next time....for a fee, they'll get you just about any retail cover you want.
(and a bonus plastic box and shiny looking round thing to go with it)

+Quote Post

voetzoeker
post Apr 24 2010, 11:32 AM
Post #19

That Dutch Dude
Group Icon

Coverart: 267

Big T In Little C by dweez

dweez

QUOTE (Jpeg @ Apr 24 2010, 10:30 AM) *
shiny looking round thing to go with it

Wait a minute a dvd cover with a free flying saucer . . . . thats a GREAT deal thumb.gif
Where can i get one 8834.gif

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 07:41 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS