Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
darm1
post Feb 22 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #1

Wahey! I posted!
Group Icon

Group: Subscriber

I think it would be helpful to add the year of the film to the titles.

Many titles duplicate themselves over the years.

I am looking for older movies and to search with the date would be helpful to me.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You To darm1 For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, stampe, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Feb 22 2019, 08:04 PM
Post #2

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,635
HiRes Challenge

That's actually a good suggestion.

I personally add the year now but unfortunately there are many of my own uploads in the gallery still where I did not.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, joelazza, stampe, VincentLupo

Kernie
post Feb 22 2019, 11:57 PM
Post #3

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

Agreed... good suggestion!

On a personal note, I’ve been in the process of adding years to all my cover titles. I’ve also been removing unnecessary info like “Marvel Films” and “DC Animated” from my titles as well as removing extraneous keywords, as I’ve come to realize that they only make it harder to find the intended cover. I believe you mentioned this in a previous thread, Curt, and it made me aware of my poor practices, so I’m slowly going through my whole gallery to try to fix some things.

I’m too lazy to check, but is there a thread that explains the best way to provide database info when uploading a new cover or label? If not, that might not be a bad resource for old and new members alike?

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, stampe, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Feb 23 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #4

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

QUOTE (Kernie @ Feb 22 2019, 06:57 PM) *
I’m too lazy to check, but is there a thread that explains the best way to provide database info when uploading a new cover or label? If not, that might not be a bad resource for old and new members alike?

I don't think so, but I could have just never seen it.

Honestly only unique words should be used in there, or alternate spellings, things that will help narrow search not widen it, which is the effect of too many keywords especially common ones as you say.

I generally make up words to tag items and to make a searchable set easy to find, for example with my GOT covers the keyword ctaulbeegot is on all of them so if you find one then clicking that will find them all.

That's the real power of keywords.

Also can be used to make titles like "Bazzy's Escapades" more searchable I would add the keyword bazzys becasue it could well be typed without the apostrophe in a search and then the match would fail.

Another good example would be numbers like Volume 3, where you should add three in the keyword list so both searches will work.

Roman numerals best to cover all bases on those, like with Friday the 13th Part II should add both 2 and two as keywords.

Redundant things in the gallery to never include in keywords would be:

1. Members user name, it's already indexed to each item and searched by default.
2. Any words used in the Title or Description, they are already indexed and searched by default..
3. Common words like custom, scan, cover, disc none of that becasue each item is already tagged with those keywords in the type field.

On a side note, one thing I see several users do here is add the whole synopsis to the description, I don't understand the point of that and what it does is causes every word in there to get indexed and is then searched by default here.

Only way to avoid false hits then on tons of common keywords in descriptions is to use the advanced search and uncheck search captions.

Personally I think that should never be done but there is no rule against it nor any guidelines on what should or should not be in there so far as I know so...

Full disclosure--

I have been a terrible offender on keywords myself due to lack of understanding and I too have worked diligently to correct that on my own gallery items, most of the worst have been fixed now but I still have work to do.

I also update titles as I work thru these other things, will take a while but it's getting there.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, stampe, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Feb 23 2019, 11:07 AM
Post #5

Site Owner
Group Icon

Coverart: 1,037

My Favorite Cover Designer:
All HiRes designers

What he said tongue.gif

The keywords I always add, are numbers and alternative spellings. Oh and apostrophes. For example, The Three King's, I would add 3 and kings to the keywords. Adding the year to the title is a solid suggestion too. Even if it hasn't got more than one version available, you never know if somebody in the future will do a remake of Ctaulbee's Cutey Cuddlies. ©2018 CT Studios.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, stampe, VincentLupo

stampe
post Feb 24 2019, 02:34 AM
Post #6

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Cover Designer

Coverart: 128

im guessing some that don't add the year behind the title, like myself, aren't doing it because of how the uploading rules are worded.

Type the full title (only) of the DVD in the title field, any other info will be in the description field.

tongue.gif

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To stampe For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, VincentLupo

ctaulbee
post Feb 24 2019, 04:11 AM
Post #7

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

HiRes Challenge

#6 has been updated and expanded as follows.

6. Uploads must be placed in the appropriate gallery. I.e.Labels/DVD Covers/BluRay and so on, with the appropriate information fields completed:

Entering Title, Caption/Description and Keywords for each upload correctly:

a. For Films: Type the full title of the movie in the title field, then in parentheses include the year ex. Iron Man (2008)

b. For TV/Cable Series: Type the full title of the show in the title field, then after add the season # ex. Taboo - Season 2 do not include the year on TV/Cable Series

c. Please use Title Case formatting on titles ex. Spider-Man: Far From Home (2019), do not use all caps for any field, thank you.

d. Any additional information like Directors Cut, Special release, or other info, must be placed in the Caption/Description field, keep it brief do not include synopsis or other general text in this field.

e. Keywords that will help with the search function go in the keywords field (Example: The title has 7 in it put seven in the keywords also). Don't put your username or common words like Marvel, Series, Blu-ray or DVD in the keywords field, if you are not 100% sure what keywords are or how to set them then leave that field blank.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To ctaulbee For This Post:
       Bazzah, Jazzy, stampe, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Feb 24 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #8

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

Thanks CT 8834.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, stampe, VincentLupo

stampe
post Feb 24 2019, 07:55 PM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Cover Designer

Coverart: 128

Nice 8824.gif

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To stampe For This Post:

Kernie
post Feb 25 2019, 07:45 PM
Post #10

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

Thanks for the clarified rules, CT! I'll try to update all of my uploads to fit these rules as soon as I have a chance... although it's going to take a while to update 4,753 files! 8824.gif 8824.gif 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:

Bazzah
post Feb 25 2019, 08:02 PM
Post #11

Site Owner
Group Icon

All HiRes designers

4753, is that all? icon_eek.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, VincentLupo

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 09:15 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS