Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

Closed TopicStart new topic
chazz
post Oct 21 2018, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 1,060

It would be beneficial to see a new "Digital" cover and label classification in addition to DVD and BR.
For quite awhile now my TV and Movie accusations have been in digital format.
I now burn entire seasons of TV shows to a single BR disc using my own label classification and have to change the classification to post here.

Things are changing fast.
When is the last time you were in a DVD rental store?
DL-DVD blanks are no longer available.
25gig. BR blanks are harder to find and cost the same as 50gig.
BR burners are becoming harder to find and prices are rising.
I went to a major computer parts retailer yesterday for a new case and found that most cases do not have a slot for optical drives any longer.
Most new Laptop and Desktop computers do not have an optical drive any longer.
I have a feeling that in the near future optical burners, DVD and BR media will no longer be available or hard to find and expensive.

It's all going digital. I still make labels and some covers for myself but with a VideoCD logo.
If you want to continue to display your movies and TV collection in the future a new classification is needed.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You To chazz For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, VincentLupo

Bunny Dojo
post Oct 21 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #2

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 367

What is the exact item you're suggesting, as far as content and image dimensions?

Could you post an example?

(Regarding physical media, the idea of this site is alternate art for your retail DVDs and Blu-rays. The marketplace for burnable discs has no bearing on that.)

+Quote Post

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You To Bunny Dojo For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, JollyRoger, M0vieM0nster, Samourai, VincentLupo

joelazza
post Oct 22 2018, 01:07 AM
Post #3

Valued Member
Group Icon

Group: Subscriber

Coverart: 1
My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie and tmscrapbook

"DL-DVD blanks are no longer available."

DL-DVDS are still available mate,could it be places or website your looking at are out of stock at the moment?
website i use prices have
50 pack is $53
100 carton is $182

"25gig. BR blanks are harder to find and cost the same as 50gig."

25/50/100GB still available.
25GB pack of 50 is $57-$110
50GB pack of 25 is $211-$230
100GB pack of 5 is $103

"BR burners are becoming harder to find and prices are rising."

People aren't into blur ray burning because the BR Blank media is still quite expensive.

"I went to a major computer parts retailer yesterday for a new case and found that most cases do not have a slot for optical drives any longer."

You should look at other places/websites aswell.

"Most new Laptop and Desktop computers do not have an optical drive any longer."

The cheaper laptops/notebooks/netbooks usually don't have drives but the average-medium-higher price range still have drives in them just need to shop around.
Do u have a JB HI-FI store where you are?

"I have a feeling that in the near future optical burners, DVD and BR media will no longer be available or hard to find and expensive."

You could be right,looks like it's fading but i still think DVD and BR Media will still be going for quite some time still,many years left,especially DVD's(alot of tv series and movie collections are getting re-released in new box sets) Not everyone is sold on BR and still quite expensive to buy original,well over here is,in aus anyway. i use netflix but hate it also as everthing gets taken off it in due time,doesn't have a wide variety of stuff,incomplete seasons of shows,missing such movie from movie series,
I'd rather watch my own dvd collection,more choices,better variety,and no expire dates to DVD's like digital rights of movies/shows,i can watch when i feel like it and not in there time frames of such stuff not lasting or i'll go watch that and is been taking off said service.
It's kinda sh1t in the long run in my opinion.DVDS will always be the better choice.
I like the idea of sections like VCD/DVD/BR and so forth,keeping things nice and neat in sections but modern stuff covers with VCD logo on them doesn't make much sense to me honestly if your burning them to DVD/BR media and not actual CDR media as that what Video CD mainly is/was back before dvd was the in thing/new standard, 1 movie split into 2/3/4 CDR's? i personally don't see the reasons for it but everyone has there own opinions and collection setups.
Could you post us a example of what you mean chazz?

This post has been edited by joelazza: Oct 22 2018, 01:11 AM

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To joelazza For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, VincentLupo

chazz
post Oct 23 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #4

Valued Member
Group Icon

TV and Movie media will be fed to us in digital format more and more until physical media ceases to exist.
I for one will still want to print out covers and labels to display that media and share with this community.

What I am looking for is a new category for "Digital" TV and Movie media beyond DVD and BR, for the future.

The physical size for labels and covers would not change.
Only a new "Digital" logo instead of DVD or BR, shown on the cover and label, is needed.

With all the talent on this site it should not take long to come up with something.

This post has been edited by chazz: Oct 23 2018, 10:44 PM

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To chazz For This Post:

joelazza
post Oct 23 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #5

Valued Member
Group Icon

Kernie and tmscrapbook

QUOTE (chazz @ Oct 24 2018, 09:36 AM) *
TV and Movie media will be fed to us in digital format more and more until physical media ceases to exist.
I for one will still want to print out covers and labels to display that media and share with this community.

What I am looking for is a new category for "Digital" TV and Movie media beyond DVD and BR, for the future.

The physical size for labels and covers would not change.
Only a new "Digital" logo instead of DVD or BR, shown on the cover and label, is needed.

With all the talent on this site it should not take long to come up with something.

Agree with what you said chazz, but physical media still going to be around for long time.took me a real long time to get onto the digital bandwagon but still people out there who still not digital,digital worst option to go i reckon.
Could you post a mockup/demo image on your next post?
I'm not trying to be smart or anything just trying to understand what exactly your trying to get a new category going?
ie: say netflix show shooter(3 seasons still no dvd release that i know of've)marvel stuff at the very beginning like daredevil,luke cage,jessica jones,defenders(that had no release of any kind,only digital,no physical media release)
So you get hold of the files for that digital show(season) and burn it to DVD/BR media and you put VIDEOCD/DIGTAL logo onto the cover for it?
Is that what you mean?

This post has been edited by joelazza: Oct 23 2018, 11:33 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You To joelazza For This Post:

chazz
post Oct 23 2018, 11:37 PM
Post #6

Valued Member
Group Icon

You got it.
All we need is an approved logo.

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To chazz For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, VincentLupo

joelazza
post Oct 24 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #7

Valued Member
Group Icon

Kernie and tmscrapbook

Thanks for clearing up what your trying to do Chazz,
I understand now what your trying to do but unfortunately it falls back to DVD/BR labeling cycle...
You burn it back to DVD,you would want a dvd cover to case it in or request someone to make a cover made up for it to match the media.
You burn it back to BR, you would want a BR cover to case it in or request someone to make a cover made up for it to match the media.
You burn it back to DVD/BR media as a DATA DISC and not an actual DVD/BR structure format in which having a digital logo completely makes perfect sense(only if you burn as data and not dvd authorizing then i know what your asking for,DATA DISC Logo) onto the cover pic but kinda still falls back to DVD/BR labeling cycle.

Everyone has completely different views on it,weather or not other members agree or disagree,but it is the only way it seems logical to me,personally myself kinda beats the whole purpose of actually burning to physical media if your gonna label it digital and not DVD/BR.
(just keep it digital)no need for covers at all.
When i do either data discs or actual copies of stuff i'd rather something thats on DVD has a DVD logo on it and same goes with BR.
Personally for yourself.. i'd go this route..
You keep the digital files digital, in a folder and have a custom pic for said folder/season with a custom folder picture with the digital logo on the picture.
Hopefully other members can shed light on your idea or higher powers on the board help you out friend.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To joelazza For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Kernie
post Oct 24 2018, 01:01 AM
Post #8

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

I understand what you’re suggesting, Chazz, but I see a lot of reasons why it’s not necessary...

1 - Inventing a new logo for an unofficial media format makes little sense to me. DVD and Blu-ray are officially recognized optical disc formats with officially branded logos that are used around the world. We can create a name and logo for something called “Purple-Backed Video/Audio Frisbee” (PBV/AF Disc) but it doesn’t make it official in the world of physical media.

2 - This seems like an idea that is very specific to your personal way of collecting movies. Burning digital copies to writable discs and then displaying them in a case with custom cover art doesn’t sound like something a lot of others might do. You say physical media is dying and that you’re going all digital, but then you say you burn the digital movies you “find” onto physical media? Doesn’t that mean you’re not going digital by continuing to rely on physical media? I’m a little confused by the logic here?

3 - Doesn’t burning a digital copy to a DVD-R or BD-R mean that the disc is a DVD or BD? Why can’t you use the DVD or BD logo then? Just add a little “R” under the logo to indicate it’s the recordable format.

4 - Are your burnt discs readable by a DVD/BD player (then see #3 above) or is it just a digital media file saved as a data disc like one would back up computer files (if so, then see #2 above). Either way, if it’s on a physical disc, it’s not technically a “digital copy” in the sense of Movies Anywhere or Ultraviolet.

5 - Are these digital files you’re burning to disc illegally downloaded? If so, you’re putting this site in very dangerous waters. We create alternative cover art for legally purchased retail DVDs and Blu-rays. We do not condone piracy.

6 - Stomping in here and claiming that the sky is falling on physical media (which admittedly is happening, but slower than you make it seem) and insisting that this site creates a new classification for some weird system that is unique to your personal preferences is silly. Creating new logos and categories to suit the needs of a tiny niche group is not something that I feel will be useful to the majority. It will create more confusion, if anything.

You do what you do, but expecting the entire site to change to fit your ways of doing things doesn’t seem necessary to me.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You To Kernie For This Post:
       Bazzah, beric3236a, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, M0vieM0nster, RRJR84, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

RobertM53
post Oct 24 2018, 01:11 AM
Post #9

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Cover Designer

Coverart: 221

I'm scratching my head on this one. Why would we need some kind of new "digital" logo to go on disc cases which house optical discs? I'm not necessarily against the idea, but disc cases will contain, by definition, a CD, a DVD or a BD disc, not a bunch of digital bits floating in ether. This idea... it's a puzzlement.

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To RobertM53 For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Bunny Dojo
post Oct 24 2018, 03:01 AM
Post #10

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Coverart: 367

As the above guys said, creating your own Digital logo and replacing designs as needed for your personal collection is going to be an infinitely faster and more precise approach to what you're describing.

Unrelated, at some point there probably is room for expansion into custom designs optimized for digital collections. 2000px x 3000px artwork appears to be the increasingly common practice, but it doesn't seem like there's a rush for standardization as far as sizing (or even allowing for customization at all).

+Quote Post

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You To Bunny Dojo For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, M0vieM0nster, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Bazzah
post Oct 24 2018, 10:22 AM
Post #11

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,041

All HiRes designers

I am always up for new ideas, but I feel that this would not benefit the site in any way. Kernie has summed up the reasoning very well (thank you Kernie)

Thank you for your suggestion, but this is not something that we would be considering implementing at this time. Of course, if a new standard was officially released, then we would add new appropriate categories at that time. But until then, it is unnecessary.

IPB

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Bazzah For This Post:
       ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, Speedz0r, VincentLupo

Speedz0r
post Oct 24 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #12

Extinct
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 188
xshoty & Kernie

Sorry but I don't see any reason for doing this (just for a logo). If the covers and labels are still the same size, then just use the ones provided. I also don't see how/why you're doing this if the files you have collected have been collected legally. As far as I know there's no company (Amazon, Netflix, Itunes, Hulu, etc..) that let you download their files to your own PC, without having to use their client. And if you do buy set media on DVD or Blu-Ray, then they're already on discs so there would be no need to rip and then burn them unless you want a backup, but then the source is already a DVD or Blu-Ray like joelazza said.

IPB

My YT Gaming Channel
Please keep my covers on this site and this site only!

+Quote Post

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You To Speedz0r For This Post:
       Bazzah, ctaulbee, Jazzy, joelazza, VincentLupo

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 23rd October 2019 - 04:56 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS