Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
alienmem
post Feb 1 2016, 12:53 PM
Post #1

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 72
My Favorite Cover Designer:
Antistatic & ctaulbee

I'm uploading the original unsized files Bazz. If there's any problem please tell me and I'll downsize them ok?

Here's my predicament. i made the cover for the world of kanako wich is in the gallery.

here:

http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display...amp;sortcode=na

Here's what I think I didn't do well. I used the match color on the front and manipulated several individual colors....the white on the front was yellow....etc...

But what i really wanted to do was match the red of the back on the pink in the front but when i do that in the ,say, hue saturation box even if i drag the sliders not to change the colors in the fuziness area it'll change more than i want. maybe a color adjustment layer on top with some blending option.

Can someone help me out here?

the image i have is this one(although in the final product i warped it so it looks kinda psychadelic)

and what I want is to give it this redish look of the back and spine(the image is two links above)

Anyone can help out?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 1 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #2

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

Attached Image

What about now...compared to the gallery cover:
http://www.hirescovers.net/gallery/display....php?pid=120992

?

Better...Worse?

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post Feb 1 2016, 04:48 PM
Post #3

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 988

All HiRes designers

I think it looks a lot better with colour on the front. Also, the front image is badly stretched out of proportion.

IPB

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 1 2016, 05:02 PM
Post #4

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

Bazz, how would you match the pinkish original i posted above with the spine and back i made for the final product?

Oh, and it's sctretched on purpose. It's to give it a psychadelic look. I used the warp tool.

+Quote Post

Jazzy
post Feb 1 2016, 05:40 PM
Post #5

It's 5 O'Clock... Beer Time
Group Icon

Group: Moderator

Coverart: 451

Why use a drawing from the comic book when it has nothing to do with the film ??????

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Feb 1 2016, 05:43 PM
Post #6

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 4,997
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

QUOTE (alienmem @ Feb 1 2016, 12:02 PM) *
Oh, and it's sctretched on purpose. It's to give it a psychadelic look. I used the warp tool.

I understand your thinking, but I think most people will see the front cover and assume (as Bazzah already has) that the image is stretched out of proportion by mistake. I doubt many would interpret your "psychedelic" reason as intentional (true as it may be).

There are very few rules in design, but one of the big ones is to keep images in their proper proportions. Regardless of your intentions, the front cover being warped like that makes it look like it was a designer who doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the "psychedelic/on-purpose" excuse is going to fly for most people. Why not work harder to make that image fit on the front cover without stretching it?

IPB

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post Feb 1 2016, 06:00 PM
Post #7

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Coverart: 363
Label Of The Month

If I am understanding your question correctly, you want to change the pink background of the original image to make it red.

Easy Option:

Go to "Create New Fill or Adjustment Layer" () and select "Selective Color."

From the "Colors" drop-down, select "Reds."
Yellow: +100%
Black: +100%
(Method: Relative)

From the "Colors" drop-down, select "Magentas."
Cyan: -100%
Magenta: -100%
Yellow: +100%
Black: +100%
(Method: Relative)

Click "OK." Then right-click on the Adjustment Layer and select "Duplicate Layer." The background should now be red.

Time-Consuming Option:

Using the Pen Tool or Magic Wand or Lasso Tool, select the area of the background. (Newer versions of Photoshop might have an even easier tool.) Then, you can make your adjustments to this area without touching the rest of the art. So, you can elevate Black Levels or do a quick Colorize Red or whatever without making the entire canvas red.

Attached Image

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 1 2016, 06:14 PM
Post #8

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

@BunnyDojo: Thanks man.

@Kernie I did the warp thing on purpose. i like it. I'm not going to work harder on something I don't like. The images were rejected by Bazz so other people have now no excuse because the artwork isn't there.

@Jazzy The artwork is from a comemorative poster that was , as i know, released in the official retail blu ray of the film. It has evrything to do with the film even if the front is "manga" or comics style. It's the same story...the same characters

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Feb 1 2016, 06:34 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

QUOTE (alienmem @ Feb 1 2016, 01:14 PM) *
@Kernie I did the warp thing on purpose. i like it. I'm not going to work harder on something I don't like. The images were rejected by Bazz so other people have now no excuse because the artwork isn't there.

Do whatever you like... it's your cover. You know more than me. cheers.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

sauron
post Feb 1 2016, 07:04 PM
Post #10

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

Coverart: 148

QUOTE (Kernie @ Feb 1 2016, 05:43 PM) *
I understand your thinking, but I think most people will see the front cover and assume (as Bazzah already has) that the image is stretched out of proportion by mistake. I doubt many would interpret your "psychedelic" reason as intentional (true as it may be).

There are very few rules in design, but one of the big ones is to keep images in their proper proportions. Regardless of your intentions, the front cover being warped like that makes it look like it was a designer who doesn't know what they're doing.

I'm sorry, but I don't think the "psychedelic/on-purpose" excuse is going to fly for most people. Why not work harder to make that image fit on the front cover without stretching it?

I have to agree with you Kernie, before I even read any of the points about it having a psychadelic effect and Bazzah pointing out the image is stretched out of proportion I was going to point it out straight away.

Alien I know you're new to design but I do honestly think you should rethink your decision on this, as Kernie has pointed out that this is one of the rules you must follow in design. It could also put other people off downloading the cover due the image how it is.

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 1 2016, 08:29 PM
Post #11

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

@ Sauron: Maybe Kernie is right and I am lazy(he didn't say this, please bare with me). I now understand that distortion is not allowed in creating covers for the website. There is no problem whatsoever in my part about this. I re-affirm that I like the cover as is. It's not allowed on the site's gallery and I have no quarrel's about that.

I'm very peculiar with artwork. I like what I like. It's like women. If everyone liked blondes the brunettes would be angry. Of course if everone liked blondes i'd turn to the brunnettes!! lol

and if someone is interested in a cover of the film( it's a possibility) they can have both the covers I uploaded and still have on my pc, to create whatever front they like.

It's just a case of opinion. You can say that I have bad appreciation for artwork. I don't mind.

+Quote Post

sauron
post Feb 1 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #12

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

QUOTE (alienmem @ Feb 1 2016, 08:29 PM) *
@ Sauron: Maybe Kernie is right and I am lazy(he didn't say this, please bare with me). I now understand that distortion is not allowed in creating covers for the website. There is no problem whatsoever in my part about this. I re-affirm that I like the cover as is. It's not allowed on the site's gallery and I have no quarrel's about that.

I'm very peculiar with artwork. I like what I like. It's like women. If everyone liked blondes the brunettes would be angry. Of course if everone liked blondes i'd turn to the brunnettes!! lol

and if someone is interested in a cover of the film( it's a possibility) they can have both the covers I uploaded and still have on my pc, to create whatever front they like.

It's just a case of opinion. You can say that I have bad appreciation for artwork. I don't mind.

I agree we all have our opinions and what I like you may not like and vice-versa, wouldn't say you have bad appreciation for artwork. As you say it probably wouldn't be accepted into the gallery as is but nothing to stop you using it yourself or creating 2 versions 8834.gif

+Quote Post

ctaulbee
post Feb 1 2016, 10:42 PM
Post #13

The Devil's Hand
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,548
HiRes Challenge
Cover Of The Month

QUOTE (Kernie @ Feb 1 2016, 01:34 PM) *
...you know more than me.

It's not often I find myself not agreeing with Kernie but on this I'll have to be on the opposing side wink.gif

I don't think you would have to put much time in this I knocked this up in 15 mins without getting serious about masking areas and as you can see most of the main art will fit the front without being distorted, which always looks amateurish whether done intentional or not.

Attached Image

IPB

+Quote Post

Speedz0r
post Feb 1 2016, 10:48 PM
Post #14

Extinct
Group Icon

Coverart: 188
xshoty & Kernie

Stretching an image like that is an unwritten rule, you just don't do it because it makes the image look ugly and deformed. I know you say you like the art work and that's fine, but why not include some of your own as well? You can easily cut out everything (except the girl (yeah i know, you like her), but if there's another picture of her you could add that instead or something else for that matter)), resize it to fit the cover (no deforming please). Here's just two quick examples to show you what i'm on about:
Attached Image
Attached Image

You can replace the girl with a lot of things, a skyline, city, title, just be creative. If you must keep the poster as is then resize it to fit the cover but then do something clever for the title. Maybe something like this?
Attached Image

I know these are really bad examples, but I just want to show you that you have many possibilities if you are willing to sacrifice a little.

IPB

My YT Gaming Channel
Please keep my covers on this site and this site only!

+Quote Post

Kernie
post Feb 1 2016, 11:50 PM
Post #15

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

QUOTE (alienmem @ Feb 1 2016, 03:29 PM) *
I like what I like.

So do necrophiliacs but that doesn't mean what they're doing is right. 8824.gif

All joking aside though, ctaulbee and Speedz0r were kind enough to post great examples of how to make this work with a minimal amount of effort. We all have different opinions and preferences, but I feel like you're using the "it's my opinion" argument to justify not considering other options. Take your time and explore different solutions. No one is rushing you.

Being receptive to advice and trying other ideas will help you improve as a designer. Doing only what you like and hiding behind the "it's my opinion" excuse will keep you where you're at.

Best of luck with this cover. 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 2 2016, 12:13 AM
Post #16

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

Ok guys...Kernie,Ctaulbee, you win.

I'll follow what Bunny Dojo suggested so i caa get the blacks on the eyebrows(like ctaulbee did in his cut) and I'll resize the image and change some stuff.
I like where Ctaulbee was going but my intention(and I know you disagree) was to give it that acid trip vibe. I'll work on it.

You guys are right. kernie is right. I'm not a designer...I do have an idea of what I like but I should follow those who know best

But like, I have a movie that is a surrealist film. Am i allowed to distort text,images to give that level of abstraction. just look at the trailer. here it is:

This post has been edited by alienmem: Feb 2 2016, 12:14 AM

+Quote Post

sauron
post Feb 2 2016, 09:11 AM
Post #17

Dark Lord of Mordor
Group Icon

QUOTE (alienmem @ Feb 2 2016, 12:13 AM) *
But like, I have a movie that is a surrealist film. Am i allowed to distort text,images to give that level of abstraction. just look at the trailer.

It all depends how you do it as in the video it works because it's a video but if it were on a poster then I doubt it would look right unless they executed it properly.

+Quote Post

Speedz0r
post Feb 2 2016, 09:48 AM
Post #18

Extinct
Group Icon

Coverart: 188
xshoty & Kernie

You are allowed to do what ever you want to do (well almost at least). But it should say something when everyone says the same thing about one particular thing. As a cover designer you should always welcome others ideas and opinions, most of the time they are all great tips that will help you improve your art work. ctaulbee has given you a great example of one way to execute the cover. When it comes to distorting and stretching out images, then it hardly ever works (looks good). Only poster i can think of that has some "acid trip" distortion is Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

This post has been edited by Speedz0r: Feb 2 2016, 09:49 AM

IPB

My YT Gaming Channel
Please keep my covers on this site and this site only!

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 2 2016, 11:51 AM
Post #19

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

@Speedz0r I have that poster on my bedroom wall framed! I worship Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. i even read the book after

+Quote Post

alienmem
post Feb 2 2016, 02:55 PM
Post #20

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Antistatic & ctaulbee

Damn!!!It took me 3 hours to do this baby...I wiped and hand draw all the squibnles on the bottom to get that title in there without taking out the original image. How's it now. I'm exhausted:

This post has been edited by alienmem: Feb 2 2016, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · General Help · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 01:12 PM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS