Welcome Guest   ( Log In | Register )
Advanced
Search
Loading tabs, please wait...

Welcome to HiResCovers.NET

Looking for Custom DVD Covers, Custom DVD Labels, Game Console Covers and Labels, Movie Posters, and Blu Ray Covers? You've found them! HiResCovers.net is the friendliest and best DVD and BluRay cover site, and your home for everything related to movie covers. We have over 500 GB images, and they are all 300dpi and Quality Checked.

Check out thumbnail samples of our Custom DVD Covers and Custom DVD Labels in our auto-scrolling showcase to your right. Use the search box above to search our cover and label gallery for your favorite. And use the menu at the top of the page for easy access to the entire site.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Closed TopicStart new topic
jcdesign
post May 26 2010, 08:50 AM
Post #1

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Members

Coverart: 152

My Favorite Custom Cover:
Avengers - 2015 by Kernie

My Favorite Cover Designer:
Kernie

I do not like voting system on the competitions. I want to see who voted and what they voted for. When it is very evenly on top, I think you can ask friends to vote on his sleeve to gain points and win the contest.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post May 26 2010, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,160

All HiRes designers

I am not sure I totally follow. Are you saying you think competitors SHOULD be able to get their friends to vote for their covers, to bump their score?

IPB

+Quote Post

easylife
post May 26 2010, 09:11 AM
Post #3

The king of rude and pointless comments
Group Icon

Coverart: 674

Any by ford, hes a cover god

zantasha

I think he means that you should be able to see who voted for what cover instead of it being anonymous, then you could see if all the votes for a winning cover/label came from the winners friends.

This post has been edited by easylife: May 26 2010, 10:07 AM

IPB

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, nah, The Rude, The Pointless and the Waste of space or even the irrelevant and unnecessary

+Quote Post

BearStyle
post May 26 2010, 09:35 AM
Post #4

Resident Bear
Group Icon

Group: Contributor

Coverart: 144

The admins can already see who voted for what, and keep a keen eye on what goes on.. So I kinda dont see a point as to why all users would need to. 8834.gif

Cheers

+Quote Post

jcdesign
post May 26 2010, 11:26 AM
Post #5

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie

QUOTE (easylife @ May 26 2010, 10:11 AM) *
I think he means that you should be able to see who voted for what cover instead of it being anonymous, then you could see if all the votes for a winning cover/label came from the winners friends.

Yes. It was that I mean easylife.

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post May 26 2010, 11:34 AM
Post #6

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Coverart: 113
The Lovely Bones by Venome

Not that it means anything, but I like the way it is now. I think its more fair. If you vote for a friend, then big deal, its the persons choice who to vote for.

+Quote Post

invisigoth
post May 26 2010, 12:40 PM
Post #7

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 93

There are too many..

If a person got friends to vote how would the mods know anyway. I think it would just look like another member voting, you probably couldn't control that even with a public vote. Hopefully most entrants wouldn't want to win like that anyway.

+Quote Post

Irrob
post May 26 2010, 01:23 PM
Post #8

Retired
Group Icon

Coverart: 263

Bunny Dojo

During the voting phase, only one person knows who made what...Bazzah. Only until the results are finished does everyone else find out.

+Quote Post

Kernie
post May 26 2010, 01:50 PM
Post #9

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Group: Master Designer

Coverart: 5,276
Cover Of The Year
Label Of The Year

QUOTE (Irrob @ May 26 2010, 09:23 AM) *
During the voting phase, only one person knows who made what...Bazzah. Only until the results are finished does everyone else find out.

That's only in the HRC, the COTM and LOTM still show who made what.

Either way, I think people being able to see who voted for what is a really bad idea. People should choose the covers they like best, but if they vote for a friend, how would you know? Furthermore, how would you know that person didn't honestly think their friend's cover was the best?

I personally wouldn't like everyone to know who I voted for. It would just create unnecessary conflict between members; it would give the losers a list of people to "blame" for their cover not winning, which is unfair.

When voting, I never even look at the designer's name, I try to judge the covers based on their own merits and not on how I feel about the person who created it.

Kern out... 8824.gif 8824.gif 8824.gif

IPB

+Quote Post

voetzoeker
post May 26 2010, 02:51 PM
Post #10

That Dutch Dude
Group Icon

Coverart: 267

Big T In Little C by dweez

dweez

Well as this is a public forum, there is really no way to stop people who enter a contest, to ask friends to join up and vote for them.

The only way to prevent this is to restrict voting to contributor status and up.
But do we want that ?

IMO the voting is fine as it is and if members need to invite friends to vote for their cover to win
Then i think they're really sad whistle.gif

+Quote Post

JollyRoger
post May 26 2010, 03:12 PM
Post #11

Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Group Icon

Coverart: 408

Million Dollar Baby by Arkflip

Tim Gengler

Well, I just think it all suxx. I don't have any friends! So where does that leave me?

And if I did have friends they sure as hell never vote for my covers anyways - I never win anything! So, janne - don't sweat! I'm totally with you bro sponge1.gif

I would recommend that everyone decide to vote for my covers from now on!

hypnotise.gif

This post has been edited by JollyRoger: May 26 2010, 03:15 PM

IPB
A designer knows he has achieved perfection - not when there's nothing left to add - but when there's nothing left to take away

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

jcdesign
post May 26 2010, 03:22 PM
Post #12

HiRes Uber Member
Group Icon

Kernie

QUOTE (JollyRoger @ May 26 2010, 04:12 PM) *
And if I did have friends they sure as hell never vote for my covers anyways - I never win anything! So, janne - don't sweat! I'm totally with you bro sponge1.gif

I would recommend that everyone decide to vote for my covers from now on!

I always vote for you, you know it!

ok, there, a bit different views here, but I have reacted to something! Why can not we vote for our own contribution? It is well not be possible. tongue2.gif

+Quote Post

batboysmatboy
post May 26 2010, 03:30 PM
Post #13

Cover Thief Detector
Group Icon

People vote for many different reasons. The one I really hate is "Oooooooo, shiny", but I digress.

If you make the vote public, then you see if your friends voted for you or not, you see who vote for themselves, and you create a bunch of hard feelings.

How are you going to feel after slaving to create the perfect cover (in your eyes), and then not only are you loosing in the vote, but you see people who you thought felt you were a great designer voting for a cover you felt wasn't as good as yours. That my friends is an accident waiting to happen.

So why open a can of worms that could stay closed. Making the vote public may discourage voting. Some may feel they have to justify their vote to someone later on. And on the flip side, someone who didn't vote because they really couldn't choose between some outstanding covers may just vote for anyone so it shows they voted.

In life, best doesn't always win and the worst doesn't always loose. It is something we all live with.

I personally feel things are different for creative people. There is no harsher critic of your work then yourself. People can tell you how great it is, but if you don't feel it is good, then all the praise in the world will not change your mind. You all create your art for the sake of doing it and not for the accolades. If you create a work of art you are happy with, that's all the praise you need (you know it's true). And if you get an award for it, just icing on the cake.

Edit
As I am a 2 finger typist, there were a couple of posts while I was typing this. So I would just like to say, "I'm your buddy JR"

This post has been edited by batboysmatboy: May 26 2010, 03:34 PM

IPB

+Quote Post

Bazzah
post May 26 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #14

Site Owner
Group Icon

Group: Root Admin

Coverart: 1,160

All HiRes designers

I am just shocked that batboysmayboy always types so much, and only uses two fingers!!

IPB

+Quote Post

batboysmatboy
post May 26 2010, 04:43 PM
Post #15

Cover Thief Detector
Group Icon

Fastest 2 finger typist in the west

IPB

+Quote Post

LittleCoolDude
post May 26 2010, 04:45 PM
Post #16

Coked up Bear!
Group Icon

Coverart: 113
The Lovely Bones by Venome

QUOTE (batboysmatboy @ May 26 2010, 11:43 AM) *
Fastest 2 finger typist in the west

LMAO - I believe it now!

+Quote Post

archef
post May 26 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #17

New to the scene
Group Icon

Coverart: 367
wysmommy

He not only types fast... He thinks fast too!!

IPB

+Quote Post

mikezomaar
post May 26 2010, 04:58 PM
Post #18

HiRes Addict
Group Icon

Coverart: 52

I think is right the way it is now.
I can't really imagine that a lot of designers would ask friends to vote for them.
And if one wants to win and asks friends to vote to win, that is really sad imho.

This post has been edited by mikezomaar: May 26 2010, 04:59 PM

+Quote Post

JollyRoger
post May 26 2010, 05:03 PM
Post #19

Sailing the Seas of Cheese
Group Icon

Coverart: 408

Million Dollar Baby by Arkflip

Tim Gengler

I always ask. No one ever listens sponge1.gif

Note to Fubster: This smilie doesn't work!!!! hypnotise.gif

IPB
A designer knows he has achieved perfection - not when there's nothing left to add - but when there's nothing left to take away

- Antoine de Saint Exupéry

SITE RULES

+Quote Post

Bunny Dojo
post May 26 2010, 06:05 PM
Post #20

( •ᴥ• )
Group Icon

Coverart: 371

QUOTE (JollyRoger @ May 26 2010, 11:12 AM) *
Well, I just think it all suxx. I don't have any friends! So where does that leave me?
You joke, but I think that's why it took me 7 years or whatever before I was able to luck my way into winning a cover contest. lol.gif

I think no matter what setup is in place, a certain portion of the votes are either going to come from friends who recognize your work or even who you (regardless of rules) ask to log on and vote. Having the vote devolve into a popularity contest is inherit in any voting system.

For that matter, compare the number of votes to the number of downloads (or even views) each cover gets. My design for Spartacus that won two months ago still only has 18 total downloads, last month's The Informant 30, including my own.

Even if you were to limit voting to contributors only, then limit it to those who have downloaded the full covers, you would still have biased votes with everyone's bar code, color, template, and other styling eccentricities.

It's an imperfect system no matter what. That's why the only way to play it is to make sure you enjoy the actual process regardless of the results. If you win, you win.

(Not that I'm not prone to a bit of "Can you believe these people?" every time I lose. 8824.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

« Next Oldest · Site Suggestions · Next Newest »

The Artwork hosted on this site is for personal use only. We do not condone piracy and we do not supply images for use in any illegal activities, including DVD or Blu-ray piracy.
Time is now: 20th January 2020 - 09:24 AM Gallery Index Privacy policy Lo-Fi Version RSS